Game Thread | Toronto vs. Canadiens | 12/02/06

Spider-Man NL

Gainey has a way of keeping things simple, but don't ever mistake him for a simple man.

Once when his coach flipped out following a loss, and mouthed off about benching this player and trading that player, he turned to Gainey and said, "What do you think, Bob?" "I think we should sleep on it," Gainey offered.

That's the way he is.

"He's a guy who doesn't work on emotion much and in our business you are much better off if you are able to be patient and deliberate in your decision," Pierre Gauthier says.

THN, May 2006

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What the... ?

Are we talking about a hockey team here or group therapy?

:huh: Care to explain yourself a little more in details, please?

Yes a hockey team!!!! 24 to 30+ guys that need to work together like a fine tuned machine. Usually there are leaders and followers. Fights, bad atitudes, blow -ups, These guys are young kids in thier 20's. and at times are probably immature. Do you think Carbo or Gainey want to deal with that.

I also have a lot of respect for Koivu and the man he is. So just on the fact he has chosen Rivet as a best friend says a lot to me about Rivet.

So to answer your question. There is more group therapy involved then you think. Through-out the season I'm sure Rivet is called upon to help put out fires in the dressing room time and time again . To some he may not be worth 2 million, but he is not that bad of a defenseman.

Not the way you all make him sound.

Well first off the problem with Rivet being a #6 D man is other then Markov and Komi, they are all #6 D men. The Habs were very lucky to pick up a win last night. After the Leafs were up 3-1 they stopped skating. Koivu willed the team back for a win. I'm like Kozed, one bad game doesn't result in trade talks but a period of time something should be done to improve the team. There are trades out there to help the team.

Fans out there praising the D must not have watched the game, they were in there own end most of the night, couldn't put 2 passes together, iced the puck numerous times, lost many 1 on 1 battles. I think Huet stole another 2 points for the Habs.

Good news:

2 points and a win.

Another comeback victory.

Koivu again showed why he is the C

played hard in the third, never gave up

Huet and Koivu were awesome

Bad news:

Face offs were brutal

Couldn't get ther puck out of the D zone most of the night again

Passing was really bad

Stupid penalties AGAIN

They didn't show up in the first again. I would like to see a full 60 minute effort to see how could they could be. The Habs shouldn't need a Butt chewing between every period to get them going.

About Souray, alot of posters said that Souray wants to stay, i have seen 3 interviews with him the last few weeks after games and he says they should sign Markov first, the team is much better in the dressing room now but never a mention of wanting to stay in Montreal. That's why i keep saying move him while he is at his highest trade value.

Terrific comeback - thanks Saku for almost singlehandedly elevating the play of the whole team.

Some things we could do to make these games a little less nail biting:

Switch Ryder and Kovalev - Kovalev plays well with and draws inspiration from Saku and if Ryder is not going to do anything he might as well do it with others who aren't doing anything.

D-men: Stop panicking and icing the puck every time there is pressure in the defensive zone.

Forwards: If you insist on dumping the puck in the offensive zone CHASE THE DAMNED THING!!

Maybe they should have a twenty minute scrimmage before the game starts to get the shabby first period play out of their systems.

Well first off the problem with Rivet being a #6 D man is other then Markov and Komi, they are all #6 D men.

Bouillon, Dandenault and Komisarek are #6 d-men? That's news to me.

Well first off the problem with Rivet being a #6 D man is other then Markov and Komi, they are all #6 D men.

Bouillon, Dandenault and Komisarek are #6 d-men? That's news to me.

Both you guys are a little confused if you think Sheldon Souray is a #6 defenseman. He'd be at least a top four defenseman on any team in the league. Yes, we all know he's not the best positionally, but every player has strengths/weaknesses. It's ridiculous to assert otherwise.

Dandenault sure is a #6. Komisarek isn't, he's playing top 4 minutes this year. Bouillon isn't a top four guy.

Yes Dandy and Bouillon are a solid 5 and 6 on any team. If you read the post i said Markov and Komi are an above average 3 and 4 or average 1 or 2.

The problem is unless Souray is shooting the puck he and Rivet are a 5 and 6. I'm sure i'll here about that but take away PP points and what have they done. Both in the minus and Souray has 3 more points then me. The D zone coverage for these 2 is just awefull. If Sundin goes around you and leaves you in the dust you are very SLOW.

The problem with the average Montreal hockey fan is that they are delusional. They believe in what Plato called the forms, but they believe that these forms actually exist on earth.

Basically a form is the ideal of anything. There are things like justice that exist in society, and they are impured compared to the ideal of justice ... the form of justice.

Now the Montreal fan wants our team to be the ideal team every night. The form of a hockey team. They believe that because these people get so much more money than they make at their jobs that these hockey players should be "supermen". They should score all the time, stop all plays towards their nets, they should not fight with each other, but they should pummel the oposition. They should be great leaders. They should not have a day, week, or even month off. They should not get injured .... infact, they should probably not even shit or piss because, well, shit and piss are not ideal.

All I can say to these fans is, "Seek help Neo. You are living in a dream world."

Or in the eternal words of Zack de la Roacha, "WAKE UP!!!!"

Bloody good game! Glad we got the two points, and that the Laughs only got one. Glad Boullion pummeled Darcy Phucker. And I'm super glad that every day that passes is one less day without Higgins!

Go :hlogo: GO!

Both you guys are a little confused if you think Sheldon Souray is a #6 defenseman. He'd be at least a top four defenseman on any team in the league. Yes, we all know he's not the best positionally, but every player has strengths/weaknesses. It's ridiculous to assert otherwise.

Dandenault sure is a #6. Komisarek isn't, he's playing top 4 minutes this year. Bouillon isn't a top four guy.

I thought he'd mentioned Souray along with Markov.

I'd say Dandenault is a bottom pairing defenceman but I'd say more of a #5 - but he's a solid #5, he played all 82 games last season. No #6 defenceman end up playing a full season like that. I'd say Bouillon is #4-5 guy. Komisarek is a top 4. Niinimaa and Streit are #6/depth defenceman.

Oh man i saw the whole match this afternoon without knowing the result. What a 3rd period. Saku really took the team by his hand. Loved it. Was the first time a saw a Habs-Leafs game completely. It rocked.

But damn what a bad first period, nobody was there. How bad was Rivet on that Sundin goal, for the rest i enjoyed it very much. But Ryder sure has to give more. I only saw one or 2 good moments of him. Offcourse Huet was awesome again. I had absolutely no worries the 3rd period and overtime cause of him.

Kovalev, what a player, anoys you one time, the other time he shows momentum of brilliance.

Go Habs Go!

BTW nice fist on Tucker's nose by Bouillon!

How's Rivet doing btw?

People should get off Ryders case. The guy has been working hard both ways. He had a couple of great chances last night but was robbed by Raycroft. This has been the story of his game lately, he's been snakebit. The goals will start going in and when they do they'll come in bunches and all you Ryder nay sayers will be silenced.

I also have a lot of respect for Koivu and the man he is. So just on the fact he has chosen Rivet as a best friend says a lot to me about Rivet.

So to answer your question. There is more group therapy involved then you think. Through-out the season I'm sure Rivet is called upon to help put out fires in the dressing room time and time again . To some he may not be worth 2 million, but he is not that bad of a defenseman.

Probably has more to do with the fact that they both broke in the league at the same time and are the only two guys left from that time. But if you so desperately want to believe that Rivet is the reincarnation of Serge Savard...

As for the group therapy thing: you missed the entire point of the question. Saying its all about "having an inspiring season" that goes "beyond win or lose" and "bullshit NHL politics" (whatever that is) is just wishful, self-delusional Hollywood-Feel-Good crapola. It is all about winning or losing, about egos and money. The "one happy family" cliche is as much an effect as a cause of winning.

In the end, the only question that matters is: do we win more with or without X?

The problem with the average Montreal hockey fan is that they are delusional. They believe in what Plato called the forms, but they believe that these forms actually exist on earth.

And I'm super glad that every day that passes is one less day without Higgins!

Go :hlogo: GO!

That is exactly right, just what I was thinking.

As for the second comment, I couldn't agree more as well.

How bad was Rivet on that Sundin goal,

Come on, there wasen't a defenseman in the league that could have stopped Sundin with that full head of steam he had. You must be forgetting or choosing to ignore the fact that Sundin is an elite player in this league, hate him all you want, but don't get on Rivet for getting beat by him because that would have been the same result if it was Chara, Pronger or Niedemeyer.

Rivet is a solid 4 dman on this team and a character guy in the dressing room. It's funny how fickle Habs fans are, I remember everybody used to be all over Dandenault as well, then when he got hurt, it was all about when "dandy" gets back we'll be fine, and how much we miss 'Dandy'. All you haters will see how foolish you are when Rivet is out and replaced by Ninimma. Then you'll be crying for him to get back.