The "Can We Keep The 'D'?" Thread

Psycing

Can we keep 'em? Sure... and here's how:

Basically, the players in red are ones who would leave through free agency or trade at the end of the year. The players in blue would be players added from the farm.

Contract subtracted this off-season --> Contract replacing = $ Saved

1) Samsonov 06/07 @ $3.5M --> Kostitsyn 07/08 @ $0.872M = +$2.628M

2) Aebischer 06/07 @ $1.9M --> Halak 07/08 @ ~$0.492M = +$1.408

3) Bonk 06/07 @ $2.394M --> Chipchura 07/08 @ ~$0.943M = +$1.451M

4) Niinimaa 06/07 @ $2.508M --> None 07/08 = +$2.508M

$2.628M + $1.408M + $1.451M + $2.508M = $7.995M Saved

The cap is expected to increase next season. Thus, we'll pretend that it will increase a modest $2M.

Increased Cap: $7.995M + $2M = $9.995M Saved

--------------------------------------

Now, let's just say that both Markov and Souray could net $5M each on their next contracts because of Kaberle & McCabe.

a ) Markov 06/07 @ $1.75M* --> Markov 07/08 @ $5M = -$3.25M

b ) Souray 06/07 @ $2.432M --> Souray 07/08 @ $5M = -$2.568M

$9.995 - $3.25M - $2.568 = ~$4.177M to spend on RFAs/UFAs

IMPORTANT NOTES:

i) Rivet would take a paycut to stay, saving more money.

ii) Higgins, Perezhogin, Plekanec, Komisarek are RFA's seeking a raise.

iii) Bonk has played great, and could stay if there's room under the cap. Like Rivet, he would need to take a pay-cut.

iv) Danis is a UFA next season, and Halak has out-played him. It's unsure whether Danis will remain with the team next year.

v) It's still uncertain if Samsonov will fit in with the team. I would see him being traded in the off-season, not during this season.

*Markov is said to be making $2M this season, but because of the new CBA agreement, the "cap hit" is actually an average amount per season. [Ex: Player makes $2M year 1, $3M year 2, and $4M year 3. The "Cap Hit" each year is $3M. Basically, (2+3+4)/3.]

Links used: TSN Payroll Commitments & HabsWorld Contracts Page & Habs Prospects & Players

Added commentary: I hope this isn't too confusing. It made sense in my head. If you have any questions on the way I set it up, I'll be happy to explain.

Bonk and Samsonov have large contracts, which are essentially key to whether or not Souray stays or goes. It's a one or the other kind of deal.

It can be done, but we would have a very young team next season. Things I didn't mention are guys like Downey/Murray who can be outplayed by guys like Grabovsky/Milroy/Lapierre next training camp.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and you say you have no time for HWL?

lol, I swear it only took me 20 min... and I'm all pumped because the Habs just won!

Thats the most complicated post ever.

Yeah, just read it through. I've thrown some little bits in for easier explination... not much, but it's not that hard. Maybe it's the math part that's scaring you? :D

I am all for keeping Souray and Markov. But Rivet...unless he's willing to take a pay cut, no way. Sundin blowing around him is just another example of how damn slow he is...there have been far too many instances of that this season.

I am all for keeping Souray and Markov. But Rivet...unless he's willing to take a pay cut, no way. Sundin blowing around him is just another example of how damn slow he is...there have been far too many instances of that this season.

Yeah, I have no doubt that Rivet will take a pay-cut.

But, if we're going to talk about being blown around... Remember Souray last season? Spezza made Souray look a hell of a lot worse than Rivet did on the Sundin play. Rivet may not have Souray's shot, but he's got some other things and is a valuable member to the team. If Souray can turn things around for the better (at least offensively) then Rivet can as well.

I don't see Bonk taking a pay cut. Salaries keep going up and he is a top defensive center in this league. I know he doesn't get a ton of points, but 2.5 million is not out of the question for a guy like Bonk.

I would bet he could get that on the free market.

I don't see Bonk taking a pay cut. Salaries keep going up and he is a top defensive center in this league. I know he doesn't get a ton of points, but 2.5 million is not out of the question for a guy like Bonk.

I would bet he could get that on the free market.

Yeah, have to agree with you there.

That's why I have Bonk leaving the team and Chipchura taking his place next season. I'm not sure that Chipchura will be ready to take his place though. Another alternative is to have Plekanec play the 3rd line in his place (while Chipchura develops) with Johnson (who I think could re-sign for around $2M if he likes it here).

Bonk could potentially land $3M on a team who's really willing to pay up for a defensive center. I think it's crazy, but knowing the league... it could happen.

Yeah, have to agree with you there.

That's why I have Bonk leaving the team and Chipchura taking his place next season. I'm not sure that Chipchura will be ready to take his place though. Another alternative is to have Plekanec play the 3rd line in his place (while Chipchura develops) with Johnson (who I think could re-sign for around $2M if he likes it here).

Bonk could potentially land $3M on a team who's really willing to pay up for a defensive center. I think it's crazy, but knowing the league... it could happen.

I'd rather have Bonk for his 2.5 million dollars than Rivet for whatever salary he commands (unless it's a major pay cut). I just don't think Bonk is expendable, even with Chipchura stepping up (no guarantees there, by the way).

And don't expect Gainey to trade Samsonov either. He's yet to part with any player he's acquired so far (except Todd Simpson). And, I'm not sure you'll find a team to take his 3.5 million dollar salary without giving back any salary in return. And again, is Rivet really more valuable to us than Samsonov. I guess we'll have to see how he does with Higgins as center.

Another question is whether Halak will be NHL ready (he'd have to replace Aebischer).

I'd rather have Bonk for his 2.5 million dollars than Rivet for whatever salary he commands (unless it's a major pay cut). I just don't think Bonk is expendable, even with Chipchura stepping up (no guarantees there, by the way).

And don't expect Gainey to trade Samsonov either. He's yet to part with any player he's acquired so far (except Todd Simpson). And, I'm not sure you'll find a team to take his 3.5 million dollar salary without giving back any salary in return. And again, is Rivet really more valuable to us than Samsonov. I guess we'll have to see how he does with Higgins as center.

Another question is whether Halak will be NHL ready (he'd have to replace Aebischer).

Yeah, I'm a big Rivet fan, thus bias at its best.

I lost a lot of respect for Samsonov when he made a big fuss about the 4th line. He and his agent got pissed and in the end Samsonov ended up on the 3rd line. I'm not sure how tight the relationship is right now. Knowing Bob Gainey, we'll never know if Samsonov actually requested a trade or not during that time.

iv) Danis is a UFA next season, and Halak has out-played him. It's unsure whether Danis will remain with the team next year.

Not sure if Halak would be NHL ready next season either. Basically, if Aebischer is moved out this year, Danis would get called up because of more experience and it would allow Halak to be a #1 in Hamilton. Still, it's all guess work... lol

PTG, the term was whipping boy!

One important name: Emelin. Hopefully this guy comes to north american and solves some of our D woes.

I'd keep Bonk in a heart beat. The guy has been great for us.

All the rest makes sense. Niimina, Abeisher, and Samsonov are probably going to go. That is one big nickle.

I'd love to keep Sourey and Markov, and I think we should .... but I'm also affraid that this new magazine cover is prophetic:

COVER_MAG-SALE-21.2.jpg

I go Bonkers for Mr. Bonkers... but if he doesnt wanna sign for under 2 Mil then sorry ... we have Plek and Chips knocking on the door! same goes for johnson

I go Bonkers for Mr. Bonkers... but if he doesnt wanna sign for under 2 Mil then sorry ... we have Plek and Chips knocking on the door! same goes for johnson

This season, he's one of our MVPs. I just don't want to part with Bonk. You won't get good value in a trade for him, and I think he'll take a slight paycut.

But I think there's a lot of wishful thinking in Maca's idea, since

1) Attendance, in general, is low right now, so the cap will probably not go up again and

2) We have to drop Aebischer/Samsonov/Bonk in order to keep Rivet. We replace all of them with rookies. I don't think it's worth it.

Can we keep all of them sure but what is the plan B if they don't want to come back....especially Markov and Souray. Rivet wants to stay but he is slowering and that isn not good for long term plan.

Bouillon, Dandenault and Komisarek. To start

After that what do we have ??

Streit LD

Coté Left D

Emelin Left D

O'Byrne Right D

So only time will tell...in Bob we trust.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David B @ Dec 3 2006, 02:20 AM) 159545[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Great work on the number crunching mahn. Things aren't as bad as I had previous thought with our financial situation. :clap:

Thanks. My whole goal was to show that there's a lot of wiggle room should Gainey choose to use it. A lot of choices to be made though.

But I think there's a lot of wishful thinking in Maca's idea, since

1) Attendance, in general, is low right now, so the cap will probably not go up again and

2) We have to drop Aebischer/Samsonov/Bonk in order to keep Rivet. We replace all of them with rookies. I don't think it's worth it.

Yeah for sure. I'm a big optimist... (you know that already though. Rangers > Philly). Gainey's final decision will be heavily based on how the rookies develop in the AHL and if they're ready.

As for the cap... hmm. I heard some guys talking on Satalite Hotstove last night (I know, not the best source) who said theres a good chance the cap will rise, but not by much.

Can we keep all of them sure but what is the plan B if they don't want to come back....especially Markov and Souray. Rivet wants to stay but he is slowering and that isn not good for long term plan.

Bouillon, Dandenault and Komisarek. To start

After that what do we have ??

Streit LD

Coté Left D

Emelin Left D

O'Byrne Right D

So only time will tell...in Bob we trust.

Exactly. The problem with letting our D-men go is that we really don't have the depth to support it. We are a team built from the inside out. I don't think Gainey wants to bring in too many UFA's to replace guys, so he'd go with prospects. We don't have a lot of D-prospects who are ready to take over... thus, we must do our best to keep the 3 D around.

On a side note, I had this krazy dream last night that we traded Bonk to Chicago for Babchuk. Though, I knew I was dreaming when Montreal had traded with Washington to bring Zednik back. *sigh*