The "Can We Keep The 'D'?" Thread

Psycing

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Markov and Souray will stay. Both will ask for and get raises, but they won't be exorbitant.

The Souray situation is a mystery. One minute there's this talk of him leaving (rumours) to go west. The next minute he's very happy in Montreal. More evidence was apparent after last nights game too. I'm starting to have some hope we may keep him. :)

Is it so hard to believe? I think it's entirely possible. If not under a million, then in the 1-1.5m at the MOST. He wants to play here, he doesn't seem to care too much for the money, he's getting old, etc.

You just wait :P

B)-->

QUOTE(David B @ Dec 3 2006, 06:07 PM) 159771[/snapback]

Sounds like you are dreaming too Cataclaw. There is NO FREAKIN' WAY Rivet stays for under one million.

Mark MY words. Trust me. ;)

Is it so hard to believe? I think it's entirely possible. If not under a million, then in the 1-1.5m at the MOST. He wants to play here, he doesn't seem to care too much for the money, he's getting old, etc.

Lol, you better believe him Cataclaw. Not only does he realize that Rivet could snag a lot more than $1M on the open market... but he knows a lot more about Rivet than any of us around here I'm sure.

(Not trying to sound snobbish, it's more of an inside joke. Not sure if David wants to elaborate on why he would know more than us, so for now I'll just try and make it as obvious as possible without giving it away. :D)

I can't see Rivet for signing for much less than $2 mil.

I don't know how we can know if Rivet "cares about the money" but it would be astonishing for him to leave almost 1mil on the table...

As far as him getting older, it would make sense to me that this would make him more interested in securing his post-career finances with a good contract.

Just my thoughts of course but I can almost guarantee that Craig will not be making anything less than $2M per in his next contract regardless of where he plays.

Sure he wants to finish his career in Montreal but not at a price of $1M annually, I'm not sure who would do that.

When I was a teenager I loved my job at McDonald's so much that I decided to stay there for $6/hour through my highschool years rather than move to Burger King for $12/hr. :rolleyes:

Regardless of players desires to play in certain cities they still want to get the paycheque that they think they and their agent deserve. If I am not mistaken Mr. Morris (Riv's agent) will make sure that Craig gets what he deserves whether in Montreal or not.

Rivet will resign for under a million, Abby and Niinimaa will both be sent packing, Markov and Souray will stay. Both will ask for and get raises, but they won't be exorbitant.

Mark my words.

Rivet will not sign with Montreal for under a million dollars. Mark my words. B)

Fine fine, maybe it's just wishful thinking, maybe i'm being foolish in hoping not all NHL players are greedy and interested primarily in money. Oh well.

Perhaps the players just don't see things the way some fans do :/

Is David B related to Craig? Maybe that's the secret :P

Is David B related to Craig? Maybe that's the secret :P

Nope! But I did meet him at a restaurant once. :P

But I'm sure Craig is like any other employee with any other organization and wants to look after himself first before the organizations clients. ;) It's not just hockey it happens everywhere especially these days with the iminant skilled labour shortage we face in Canada and similarly, experienced defensive d-men who are excellent team players are hard to come by in the NHL today.

Fine fine, maybe it's just wishful thinking, maybe i'm being foolish in hoping not all NHL players are greedy and interested primarily in money. Oh well.

Perhaps the players just don't see things the way some fans do :/

I don't see how not throwing away a million dollars is greedy.

Quality of life has value and if rivet really likes living and playing in montreal he might give up some money to stay here... but a million dollars is a huge loss. There is nothing morally wrong with him choosing to go elsewhere if montreal cannot pay him a salary close to his market value.

The Habs D is very slow, lose too many battles, not good in the Defensive zone, ytake away PP points and they are awfull offensively, all but Komi and Markov are in the minus on a team 7 games over 500 and everyone wants to keep them and give them raises? I can't figure that one out. I think Markov will be the only UFA resigned. There will be a trade and a signing.

That being said it is our goalies both Aebi and Huet that deserves the most credit.

Everybody here seem so condifent that Markov will be back. Does he seem over happy to play in MTL did he ever said that he would never play elsewhere. Is he fed up with the stay at home style that the Habs D play. No one knows the guy is a mystery.

I don't see how not throwing away a million dollars is greedy.

Quality of life has value and if rivet really likes living and playing in montreal he might give up some money to stay here... but a million dollars is a huge loss. There is nothing morally wrong with him choosing to go elsewhere if montreal cannot pay him a salary close to his market value.

In addition to the quality of life issue, there's also the matter of pride. This would be a huge factor for a guy like Rivet. He would not want to feel he was being taken advantage of for his desire to stay in Montreal, even if he would otherwise be OK with less money. If Bob lowballs him, that would be bound to cause a lot of resentment.

You can also be sure that there is some pressure on him from his fellow players around the league to get market value, particularly defencemen around his age. Each deal signed has an impact in setting the market value for future deals, and the Player's Association wouldn't want to see a bargain.

Hey CC, it's Huet and Aebi who make the defensive numbers look better then they are. You are comfortable watching the D not being able to get the puck out and playing in the D zone allnight? That's what's been happening for years and hasn'r really gooten the Habs anywhere.

Two of the three will be resigned.

I expect Markov will resign. Gainey will make that a priority and I don't see any major reason why he would go elsewhere.

If Souray want to be closer to his daughter he won't be back. Probably if that's the case Gainey will trade him arund the deadline. Souray has said he loves it here but if you listen carefully he is careful not to give the impression he is going to resign.

If Souray (or Markov) doesn't resign then I think Rivet will for something like 1.8 million. But if we resign both Souray and Markov then I don't think (apologies to Maca) that we can also afford Rivet. Too many young guys will be looking for raises and Gainey will want some cap room in case he wants to make a push for the cup in February '08.

Man, I don't envy Gainey his position, but I'm glad he's the one at the helm making the decisions. Could you even imagine if (shudder) Houle was still the GM with something this difficult to decide? :(

It woudl be a TOTAL nightmare.

I'm not saying I'm gonna like the decision (my best case is they keep Souray and Markov), but at least whatever happens, I'll know that Gainey put in a thorough and thoughtful analysis and did what he truly believes is best for the team with the resources at his disposal. It's so much easier to cheer for my favourite team with knowledgeable, smart guys running the show. We're spoiled with Gainey and Carbo running the show, and with a dynasty like Montreal, that's how it should be :clap:

Two of the three will be resigned.

I expect Markov will resign. Gainey will make that a priority and I don't see any major reason why he would go elsewhere.

If Souray want to be closer to his daughter he won't be back. Probably if that's the case Gainey will trade him arund the deadline. Souray has said he loves it here but if you listen carefully he is careful not to give the impression he is going to resign.

If Souray (or Markov) doesn't resign then I think Rivet will for something like 1.8 million. But if we resign both Souray and Markov then I don't think (apologies to Maca) that we can also afford Rivet. Too many young guys will be looking for raises and Gainey will want some cap room in case he wants to make a push for the cup in February '08.

I don't think Gainey would trade Souray even if he publicly states he's not going to re-sign .. especially if the habs are in playoff contention.

I don't think Gainey would trade Souray even if he publicly states he's not going to re-sign .. especially if the habs are in playoff contention.

Agreed. As long as we don't have a major slide, Souray will not go anywhere. Nobody's going to give us a quality, proven NHLer for him as a rent-a-player, and I can't believe Bob would give him up for a prospect. He's much more valuable to us in the post-season. We also can't surrender him before knowing what Markov will do.

Hey CC, it's Huet and Aebi who make the defensive numbers look better then they are. You are comfortable watching the D not being able to get the puck out and playing in the D zone allnight? That's what's been happening for years and hasn'r really gooten the Habs anywhere.

Listen, I'm not saying these guys are the second coming of the New Jersey Devils. But the grass is always greener elsewhere, you know? Yes, Huet has played great, but it's NOT like our goalies have been absolutely standing on their heads night after night. The D gets the job done and it's only an obsessive focus on individual mistakes - which happen to every team - that causes us to lose sight of the big picture.