Swearing in Quebec...

KoZed

Wow, in the prestigious Washington Post :o

I guess it's an interesting funny/surprising article for non-Quebecers. I don't see the point/aim of the article though. It's interesting to read about the theory that you swear againts things that oppress you. Didn't like the last sentence of the article! It's not something that we should teach our chlidren wow. I wish there were none of those anymore.

Wow, in the prestigious Washington Post :o

It's not something that we should teach our chlidren wow.

But te truth remains that if you want to talk to people fluently in a culture you must know their swear words if they are used commonly, and Quebec they are used commonly.

Swear words are just words that have been culturally assigned to be curses or insulting. I think that it is better to teach your children respect and manners, so that they won't use them glibly, rather than trying to keep them in the dark ... they will find out anyway.

Good article, however I would agree that America is prude, nor is English culture prude. We went through a period of puritism, just as Quebecker culture went through a period of Religious oppression. These effects can last through generations until a new source of curses are defined.

The theory that you swear against things that opresses you isnt new. I'm not so sure though if its as much that as just swearing about things that are taboo. I wonder what will be taboo in the future? With the political correctedness, there's plenty of words that could become taboo, especially about women or races or religions. Will our grand children swear by yelling "Jew" or "######"?

As for Quebec swearing, maybe "" is the most practical, versatile swear-word; but no swear word can convey as much anger as a big, loud "tabarnak". Its the only therapeutic swear word I know. If you put all your hate into it, once you've screamed the word you can feel at peace. It can also double as a very effective war cry. Few words can terrify someone. Scream "Toi, mon TABARNAK!" with enough conviction at someone and he's likely to shit his pant.

I've had many anglo girlfriends from Canada and the US, and they've all been converted to "tabarnak".

As for Quebec swearing, maybe "######" is the most practical, versatile swear-word; but no swear word can convey as much anger as a big, loud "tabarnak". Its the only therapeutic swear word I know. If you put all your hate into it, once you've screamed the word you can feel at peace. It can also double as a very effective war cry. Few words can terrify someone. Scream "Toi, mon TABARNAK!" with enough conviction at someone and he's likely to shit his pant.

I've had many anglo girlfriends from Canada and the US, and they've all been converted to "tabarnak".

tabarnak is such a great word !! whenever you bump your little toe on a chair or you it your thumb with a hammer, saying tabarnak is 50% of the healing!

however, let's not forget how the word christ or criss can be used in almost every situation. it can be a verb: m'a t'en crisser une dans face. It can also be used to introduce tabarnak as in: ah criss de tabarnak que ca fait mal !!

i love french...its so easy to express your angst....i also like Sacrament...hey sacrament...enleve tes soulier sur mon tapis...asti de cave!!

oh ben tabarnak d'ostie criss the cave...i sometimes scream that at the tv during a hockey game...especially when Ryder as teh puck....hehe

Guys, just a reminder that foul language isn't accepted on our forums. There's a difference between a cultural/linguistic thread and starting to use profane/sacred words everywhere.

2. Respect. No racism/racial-slurs/prejudice/personal provocation/foul language, etc.

English rules: http://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?act=boardrules

2- Respect avant tout. Pas de propos racistes, offensants, de provocation personnelle, de mots vulgaires, et, particularité québécoise.. pas de sacres empruntés à la religion.

French rules: http://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?showtopic=8985

Thanks ^_^

for us french-canadiens, this is nothing new ... tab**nacle

GO :hlogo: GO!

• 2 weeks later...
bon cop bad cop !! great movie

Bon Cop Bad Cop = out on DVD on this coming tuesday, december 19th 2006...

good purchase for a last minute xmas gift or for ur own dvd collection :lol:

was that a good movie? I wanted to see but alas it never made it down here.

My class was going ot go see it but they wouldn't us because w cause too much trouble. :rolleyes:

for us french-canadiens, this is nothing new ... tab**nacle

ach... i've been edited... i always thought that saying a 'swear word' in a context of explanation, not expletive, removes the 'swear' quality of the word...

i guess not every one agrees :blink::blink::blink::blink: