your toughts on the new lines

habs_in_the_blood

okay, so last night we had a glimpse of what may come..and i think these lines could very well cut it....

im ready to give it a chance...that is if carbo starts with these lines tomorow night.. your toughts?

I think he's referring to the line shuffle Carbo did late in the game.

indeed i am...but i guess they werent ligimate changes, but i like what i saw...second line you have Lats doing the dirty work, sammy doing circles and pleksmissing shots...no just kidding sammy hads some speed and pleks well he has the defending awarness

towards the end of the last game carbo played

ryder-koivu-kovalev

samsonov-plek-latendresse

Well I said a few times that Lats looked better on the RW than LW, so I hope this one sticks... as for Ryder - Koivu - Kovalev, Carbo used them as the 1st PP unit for a while now and they worked, so let's just hope it carries on to even-strenght.

Now the funny thing about those lines is that both LW are right-handed and both RW are left-handed. Quite unusual...

Well I said a few times that Lats looked better on the RW than LW, so I hope this one sticks... as for Ryder - Koivu - Kovalev, Carbo used them as the 1st PP unit for a while now and they worked, so let's just hope it carries on to even-strenght.

Now the funny thing about those lines is that both LW are right-handed and both RW are left-handed. Quite unusual...

Can you say one-timer? Muahahaha

Can you say one-timer? Muahahaha

Yeah, I know what you mean....those were some of the best looking PP's we've had in a while...don't know if it was just because we were playing the NYI, but we put some quality shots on net.....I think Carbo was equally impressed as he let Kovy Koivu & Easy finish the game together .....Ryder although he isn't scoring right now is still working hard and getting his chances...........BTW did anybody else see the 3,4,5 moves Samsonov made out our blue line before passing the puck up for one of our goals last night? The guy's trying, so lets give hime some slack; hopefully the goals will follow..........Finally, I really like Streit's game right now, both as a set man for Souray on the PP, but he also showed a lot of savvy on the 4th line .....as someone previously mentioned Plex-Begin-Streit might be able to hold their own, and then some.

Finally, I really like Streit's game right now, both as a set man for Souray on the PP, but he also showed a lot of savvy on the 4th line .....as someone previously mentioned Plex-Begin-Streit might be able to hold their own, and then some.

Yup Streit has his good moment. I especially like the way he can pinch in from the point on the blueline. If you notice on Koivu's first PPG last night, Streit went to the net twice on the same play. It draws defensemen away forwards like Ryder in the slot.

I've always felt Kovalev was something of an elitist. It seems when he plays with Koivu, or someone "of his calibre", his motivation jumps up and he unleashes his skill. If he's paired with "less than perfect" linemates, he just falls asleep.

This is why i feel Koivu and Kovalev (aka Special K) should be reunited, for Kovalev's sake. The second line can survive without him. (Not like it was producing much to begin with)

I like Latendresse's hardwork along the boards, smart stickhandling moves and creative dcisions down low. I think if Sammy can drive the net more or at least get open for shots, Lats can get in the for a lot of rebounds. Plekanec and Sammy also work hard and are creative and shifty, but they both lack Latendresse's strength and physical game so they might be a good fit. As long as they all work hard.

Once Higgins gets back, he plays his way up between Streit and Begin, an interesting test of his centering abilities, for a few games and then swaps with Plekanec and we see what's what. At least that's what I would like to see.

Streit looked weirdly good out there and it might be cool to see the intensity brought out by Higgins, Begin and Streit. At least for a game or two.

The one that really dont belong in the top 6 right now is Plekanec. He is a defensive minded forward,just like Bonk. The second line isjust not his role and I honestly dont get why Carbo insist on keeping him in an attacking role.

I think there's some validity to Kovalev not playing all that well with lesser offensive players. But, I can't say that I blame him entirely for that: how many times can you feed a guy like Plekanec a perfect setup only to see him bumble it, before you start to think 'why even bother'? Or have him go offside constantly (Plekanec goes offside A LOT). Surely it's got to be frustrating when you're an offensive player and you're saddled with a linemate who's so offensively inept.

I think there's some validity to Kovalev not playing all that well with lesser offensive players. But, I can't say that I blame him entirely for that: how many times can you feed a guy like Plekanec a perfect setup only to see him bumble it, before you start to think 'why even bother'? Or have him go offside constantly (Plekanec goes offside A LOT). Surely it's got to be frustrating when you're an offensive player and you're saddled with a linemate who's so offensively inept.

I wouldn't say he's offensively inept. He did lead the Bulldogs in scoring for two consecutive seasons. Now while that doesn't necessarily mean he is/will be a scoring machine at the NHL level, it does show that he knows how to put the puck in the net. To call him inept is just plain unfair.

You are 100% correct on what you said about the way Kovalev feels. If you watched the Habs Iles game twice Plekanec was wide open in front of the net and Kovalev was behind or in the corner and could have easily passed him the puck but decided to try to make a move and deke out a defender. When he is with Koivu he does not think twice the puck goes from his stick to Koivu's or Ryder's in the slot instantaneously.

But sorry to disappoint everyone Carbonneau said he is going back to the old lines to start against Buffalo, notice he did say start so they could change depending on how the game progresses.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10460&hubname=

Montreal Canadiens: The Canadiens held an optional practice on Friday after taking three of a possible four points in their last two games... Although coach Carbonneau altered his lines in the win over the Islanders, he says he's going back to his old lines for Saturday's match-up against the Sabres. So, even though Sergi Samsonov hasn't scored in 18 games, he'll be back with Plekanec and Kovalev... Mark Streit returns on the fourth line with Murray and Begin... Cristobal Huet will be in goal Saturday against the Sabres... Chris Higgins, out with an ankle injury, begins skating with the team on Monday. - TSN

No need to categorised Plekanec into something he is not......not unlike Samsonov, but to a much more lower extent, he has proved to be better offensivelly than the scoreboard would thus far indicate.

Profiling him with a blatant offensive ineptitude to his play would be akin to say how stupid Gainey must have been to ganbled on getting D re-enforcement at the expense of putting an obvious missfit to center the second line........Gainey is not a stupid man and neither is he a stupid GM.

Gainey took a calculated risk cause Plek had sufficient offensive flair and skills for him to do so......Plek is not

Ribeiro but neither is he Garth Murray.

So let's recapitulate.....

I am at the Bell Center watching the last pre-saison game of the CH against Ottawa,...Ribero is not wairing the uniforme while Plek his for the first time centering the second line,.....Ottawa is leading 5-3 upon starting the 3th period......20 minutes later people are all standing up ovationning the second line's offensive brio

that brought 3 consecutive goals to give the win to their beloved CH......while the members of this newly

formed line where each honored by a respective star that evening.

I never would have thought then that the quality of play that I saw among those three that evening would have had so much trouble in re-enacting it-self during the regular season.......after all Plek was faster than Rib

and arguablly possesses a better shot to boot......yet I am still waiting and althought I think that Plek's carrer

will be more on the third line than anything else I am still hoping that the second line as it is with him centering it this year can accomplish more than what they have been able to acheived thus far.