Dare to Dream...

Seb

As the title says, this is only a dream... But with the current situation in Toronto, it is becoming more and more possible that the club will look to move their captain. Now with that being said, they would probably want picks/young players and cap relief(which is what everyone wants nowadays), but as the habs stand now, cap relief isn't something we can really offer.

So the possibility of getting our hands on Sundin aren't out of the question, all we would need is for Gainey to find some cap relief somewhere and then maybe send someone underachieving(not going to name anyone, we've all got our own ideas) with an expiring contract, a young guy or two, a second round pick, and bam, we've got Sundin as a SECOND LINE CENTER. This would strike fear in the heart of any opposing coach, who does he send his checking line out against? For the sake of line suggestions, I'll assume Kovalev would still be around after these deals and that Samsonov would not be, leaving possibilities of (first 2 lines):

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder

Latendresse-Sundin-Kovalev <--There's a solid what? 690 lbs on this line? :o!!!

or

Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder

Higgins-Sundin-Kovalev

I could keep going and list every different possible permutation of these six players, but I'll let you do the dreaming instead.

Now while this is all a great dream, we need to take into account exactly HOW difficult it would be to pull off.

First, Sundin commands a salary of 4.5, but he would represent 6.33 million against the cap because of the average salary of his contract. 6.33m is a great deal of money and it would cost a few young players packaged with some money wasters to get anywhere near 3-4 million of cap relief. This relief plus what we've already got under the cap(which is about a million? a bit less?) would be enough to land him, meaning that some salary will obviously be sent to Toronto in the deal.

Second, Sundin's got a no-trade clause. Seeing as how he turns 36 in february, he'll possibly want to waive his no-trade clause due simply to the fact that he has won no cups and there are none in sight in the near future in Toronto. Also, the thing about a no-trade clause is the player will usually speak with management to tell them which teams they would like to be traded to. Would he come to Montreal? We've got no swedes on the roster right now, but I don't think this would bother him. With his acquisition we'd be vaulted into top contender status (depending on our standing when the deal is made), which would give him an opportunity to play for the cup. I don't think he's worried about the montreal media, as he's played a large portion of his career in Toronto, whose media is pretty bad too. Actually, I think if he was traded to Montreal, the Toronto media would be all over him, which could be a concern. So wether or not Sundin would waive his clause to come to Montreal is up in the air, I don't even think John Ferguson Jr. could tell you right now.

Sundin's contract is for the rest of this season and has a team option for the next at 4.5m, which is still cheap for this good of a player.

This somehow came up and I was really interested, and like everyone does when a sweet thought comes up, I checked if it could actually work, and it could. We know Gainey will be looking to clear some space to sign our free agent defensemen, so by letting Sundin walk at season's end, there's 6.33m plus the possible 2.5m extra that's supposed to be added to the cap next season. And who knows! Maybe when we let Sundin walk away at the end of the season and everyone's offering 5 million, he comes back for a new cheaper contract to Montreal(depending on how much we've got left after the D sign) and says "Let's do it again!"

Sundin's been knocked lately for his production, but honestly, he plays with Tucker! In Montreal, he will finally have someone to play with. Also, Sundin's been known for consistency, something our friend Alex Kovalev has not been known for, so maybe Sundin's the guy we've been looking for to get Kovalev to produce every night.

As nice as it seems, I'm still going to be realistic about it and say that the chances of this move happening are slim to none.

"Et voici Sundin à la ligne bleue, c'est deux contre un! Sundin, passe à Kovalev, ET LE BUUUT!!!"

I dare to dream...

As the title says, this is only a dream... But with the current situation in Toronto, it is becoming more and more possible that the club will look to move their captain. Now with that being said, they would probably want picks/young players and cap relief(which is what everyone wants nowadays), but as the habs stand now, cap relief isn't something we can really offer.

So the possibility of getting our hands on Sundin aren't out of the question, all we would need is for Gainey to find some cap relief somewhere and then maybe send someone underachieving(not going to name anyone, we've all got our own ideas) with an expiring contract, a young guy or two, a second round pick, and bam, we've got Sundin as a SECOND LINE CENTER. This would strike fear in the heart of any opposing coach, who does he send his checking line out against? For the sake of line suggestions, I'll assume Kovalev would still be around after these deals and that Samsonov would not be, leaving possibilities of (first 2 lines):

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder

Latendresse-Sundin-Kovalev <--There's a solid what? 690 lbs on this line? :o!!!

or

Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder

Higgins-Sundin-Kovalev

I could keep going and list every different possible permutation of these six players, but I'll let you do the dreaming instead.

Now while this is all a great dream, we need to take into account exactly HOW difficult it would be to pull off.

First, Sundin commands a salary of 4.5, but he would represent 6.33 million against the cap because of the average salary of his contract. 6.33m is a great deal of money and it would cost a few young players packaged with some money wasters to get anywhere near 3-4 million of cap relief. This relief plus what we've already got under the cap(which is about a million? a bit less?) would be enough to land him, meaning that some salary will obviously be sent to Toronto in the deal.

Second, Sundin's got a no-trade clause. Seeing as how he turns 36 in february, he'll possibly want to waive his no-trade clause due simply to the fact that he has won no cups and there are none in sight in the near future in Toronto. Also, the thing about a no-trade clause is the player will usually speak with management to tell them which teams they would like to be traded to. Would he come to Montreal? We've got no swedes on the roster right now, but I don't think this would bother him. With his acquisition we'd be vaulted into top contender status (depending on our standing when the deal is made), which would give him an opportunity to play for the cup. I don't think he's worried about the montreal media, as he's played a large portion of his career in Toronto, whose media is pretty bad too. Actually, I think if he was traded to Montreal, the Toronto media would be all over him, which could be a concern. So wether or not Sundin would waive his clause to come to Montreal is up in the air, I don't even think John Ferguson Jr. could tell you right now.

Sundin's contract is for the rest of this season and has a team option for the next at 4.5m, which is still cheap for this good of a player.

This somehow came up and I was really interested, and like everyone does when a sweet thought comes up, I checked if it could actually work, and it could. We know Gainey will be looking to clear some space to sign our free agent defensemen, so by letting Sundin walk at season's end, there's 6.33m plus the possible 2.5m extra that's supposed to be added to the cap next season. And who knows! Maybe when we let Sundin walk away at the end of the season and everyone's offering 5 million, he comes back for a new cheaper contract to Montreal(depending on how much we've got left after the D sign) and says "Let's do it again!"

Sundin's been knocked lately for his production, but honestly, he plays with Tucker! In Montreal, he will finally have someone to play with. Also, Sundin's been known for consistency, something our friend Alex Kovalev has not been known for, so maybe Sundin's the guy we've been looking for to get Kovalev to produce every night.

As nice as it seems, I'm still going to be realistic about it and say that the chances of this move happening are slim to none.

"Et voici Sundin à la ligne bleue, c'est deux contre un! Sundin, passe à Kovalev, ET LE BUUUT!!!"

I dare to dream...

nice post...but the chance of this happening.....i think not i think we could have a better chance at getting Forsberg...but only if he's healthy...a healthy Forsberg is a dominant Forsberg

I'm sure Sundin'd help more than hinder us, but after years of making fun of him and despising everything about him... well... I'd just feel sullied and unusual if we got him. :D

Interesting thought though, and welcome to the board, Seb.

sundin= underachiever in the playoffs !!

He is almost a point per game playoff player, but I believe he has said many times that he wants to retire a Leaf andf would rather stay there and not win a cup then pull a Ray Bouque.

He is almost a point per game playoff player, but I believe he has said many times that he wants to retire a Leaf andf would rather stay there and not win a cup then pull a Ray Bouque.

do you blame Bourque?

Mats Sundin started in Quebec. It would be nice if he couls close the circle...

But let's face it. Sundin is one of the most unlikley players in a Canadiens jersey. (Sean Avery tops that list.)

Lol, it wouldn't be bad to have him on the team... that's for sure.

BUT... I highly doubt there'd be any chance they'd trade him straight to Montreal.

It would have to be a 3-way trade. Much like the way we got Radek Bonk. Basically I could see us snagging Sundin and someone else getting someone like Samsonov and picks/prospects going to Toronto.

The no-trade clause poses a problem though. And I'm not sure Sundin wants to leave Toronto?

Lol, it wouldn't be bad to have him on the team... that's for sure.

BUT... I highly doubt there'd be any chance they'd trade him straight to Montreal.

It would have to be a 3-way trade. Much like the way we got Radek Bonk. Basically I could see us snagging Sundin and someone else getting someone like Samsonov and picks/prospects going to Toronto.

The no-trade clause poses a problem though. And I'm not sure Sundin wants to leave Toronto?

yeah, and a it'd be a pretty big risk to start a 3-way with a guy who could block the second part of the trade.

I still dont see where the salary would be.

Dreamer, you know you are a dreamer

Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no!

I said dreamer, you're nothing but a dreamer

Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no!

I said "Far out, - What a day, a year, a life it is!"

You know, - Well you know you had it comin' to you,

Now there's not a lot I can do

Dreamer, you stupid little dreamer;

So now you put your head in your hands, oh no!

I said "Far out, - What a day, a year, a life it is!"

You know, - Well you know you had it comin' to you,

Now there's not a lot I can do.

-Dreamer, Supertramp

If you are going to Dream I think we should go for someone younger. Jokkinen, Crosby, Malkin, etc.

Edited by Bacchus

NEver happen being that they are in the same division.

Montreal has no way of fitting his contract in without a somewhat major overhaul of their roster.

Having said that I am on record as having said that Sundin would be a perfect fit between Kovalev and Samsonov.

But its not going to happen.

Wait!!! Here's a way to make it happen. We send them Kov and Sammy, they give us Wellwood Stajen and a 1st rounder. LMAO

Your post has made me sick to my stomach.....And I am sure it has made other people's stomachs turn as well....Sundin for Plekanek, Rivet and a First Rounder....Thats fair. I would take Sundin any day. Some of you complain that he underachieves in the playoffs...but look who Pat Quinn had him playing with at the time..it's kind of scary how he could put up those numbers with those guys!!! The guy never takes nights off either...his presence is always felt. If we can get Sundin to Montreal...He would be the biggest addition for a player since the acquisition of Kovalev, and it really sets us up to be a Stanley Cup team. I dont have the time to do this...but can someone please find Sundin's statistics at the Bell Centre. I'm pretty sure it will raise a lot of eyebrows, have some drinks spat out, and perhaps a few mouths dropped.