Samsonov's numbers in Perspective

C-Love

I know many people feel that Samsonov will come around and start producing eventually, but that is not what he was brought in to do. He was brought in to produce right away and with much greater production than he is. I as well as a great many other people were very skeptical when he was brought in, and as it turns out, with good reason. I know that BG had to fill a roster spot and his first 3 or 4 choices wouldn't/couldn't come so he was left in a bad situation and made the best signing he could, however I would be willing to bet my autographed Mike McPhee card that he won't be back next year. Here is a small list of players that are out scoring him this year.

Sean Avery

Chris Neil

Mike Commodore

Eric Lindros ( who noone wanted in Montreal)

Anson Carter (Who noone wanted in Montreal)

Chris Higgins (with 16 less games played)

Tom Poti (who noone wanted in Montreal)

Owen Nolan

George Laraque (who noone wanted in Montreal)

Jeff O'Neill (how emabarrasing is that, Toronto didn't even want him)

Mike Peca ( not supposed to be a goalscorer and has as many as Sergei)

Richard Zednik

I know people will think I'm looking at the negative but the guy is just not producing and does nothing defensively. The guy is being outscored my goons for Christ's sake. Owen Nolan can barely walk little lone skate, and Jeff O'Neill wasen't supposed to be even playing in the NHL this year because he's too slow. I'm just kind of sick by his play, not that I didn't expect it. I remember when we signed him, I figured he would be good for 35 points, which is looking like he may not even reach. The worst part about our situation is that our 2 biggest disappointments this year (Samsonov and Ninimaa) are pretty high paid players so we can't even really get rid of them because of their salaries. What to do?

Gainey said himself he was not going to expect anything from Samsonov until half way through the season. Gaiiney knows that he has changed teams twice for the first time in his career in a span of six months. It takes time he will come around.

In don't doubt his talent, work ethic or ability to put points up, the only question i have is why is he paired with kovalev? They both like to hang onto the puck. Samsonov needs to play with a finsher.

Gainey said himself he was not going to expect anything from Samsonov until half way through the season. Gaiiney knows that he has changed teams twice for the first time in his career in a span of six months. It takes time he will come around.

I was, and remain, skeptical.

Samsonov was the consolation prize after Shanahan signed with the Rangers. Shanny doesn't seem to have had any difficulty adjusting to a new team. I'm still holding out hope that Samsonov and Kovalev are just incompatible, and he'll catch fire on a different line (possibly when Higgins returns). I'm not sure I believe it'll actually happen, though.

I think he will come around. I mean, the guy has been around a while and he has produced at a certain level consistently. Once he gells with his line itll be good. Whats exciting is that they are still winning without much production from him. If he gets going right towards the end of the season, come playoff time, we'll have that much more dangerous a team.

I was, and remain, skeptical.

Samsonov was the consolation prize after Shanahan signed with the Rangers. Shanny doesn't seem to have had any difficulty adjusting to a new team. I'm still holding out hope that Samsonov and Kovalev are just incompatible, and he'll catch fire on a different line (possibly when Higgins returns). I'm not sure I believe it'll actually happen, though.

Shanahan plays with Jagr who lead the league in points last year. Shanahan IS a better player than Samsonov.

Alot of people bash Samsonov for his lack of productivity...but isn't this common hockey knowledge - He's played with the exact same line for 30 games .. SWITCH THEM UP!!

I fully support Carbo, but what is he thinking right now...poor Sammy needs a chance with different teammates!

Lats is not really doing that great on the first line. He is doing okay, but he does not make the line better. I would put him on the 2nd line and move Sammy up, to see if that works for a game or so. Lats might help the second line more then the first, since they need someone who will shoot and go in the corners.

Once Higgins is back in game shape, then move Sammy back to the 2nd.

Personally, I don't think sammy is going to break out until he has a decent center to play with.

Alot of people bash Samsonov for his lack of productivity...but isn't this common hockey knowledge - He's played with the exact same line for 30 games .. SWITCH THEM UP!!

I fully support Carbo, but what is he thinking right now...poor Sammy needs a chance with different teammates!

There are two things to consider. The first is where to move him to? The other lines are producing and play both ends of the ice well. Not to mention what will become of Higgins or Latendresse?

The second is what I believe to be the perception that Plekanec is the problem. We might see a trade at some point for a better center to test that theory.

The second is what I believe to be the perception that Plekanec is the problem. We might see a trade at some point for a better center to test that theory.

I am in the camp that believes Plekenec is a problem on the second line....the guy just can't finish.

I agree - he's good at what he does, which is being a solid two way player. But he's not an offensive whiz and forcing him to play with two guys who can't play a lick of D is bound to rub off badly on a kid like him..

Dont blame sammy...Blame the one and only Thomas Plekanek...

Put a legitimate center inbetween Kovalev and Samsonov and you have a potent second line offence...

Pleks is at best a 3rd line player...Lets be realistic here...Alex Kovalev and Sergei Samsonov dont deserve to have #35 inbetween them.......He is too young..We need a veteran 2nd liner at Centre....Why we didnt keep Yanic Perrault....boggles the hell out of me...

Dont blame sammy...Blame the one and only Thomas Plekanek...

Put a legitimate center inbetween Kovalev and Samsonov and you have a potent second line offence...

Pleks is at best a 3rd line player...Lets be realistic here...Alex Kovalev and Sergei Samsonov dont deserve to have #35 inbetween them.......He is too young..We need a veteran 2nd liner at Centre....Why we didnt keep Yanic Perrault....boggles the hell out of me...

1. If Sammy needs such a good center between him and Kovy, then why are we paying him 3.5 million dollars? You give that type of money to players who make make things happen on their own.

2. Holy crap, I can't believe you just lamented Perreault being gone. It's been since before the lockout that he played for us! Don't you remember what kind of player he was his last couple years in Montreal? He was a total floater who was adding nothing to the team. He was Mike Ribeiro before Mike Ribeiro was.

Lats is not really doing that great on the first line. He is doing okay, but he does not make the line better. I would put him on the 2nd line and move Sammy up, to see if that works for a game or so. Lats might help the second line more then the first, since they need someone who will shoot and go in the corners.

Once Higgins is back in game shape, then move Sammy back to the 2nd.

Personally, I don't think Sammy is going to break out until he has a decent center to play with.

I like the idea of Lats , Koivu , Kovy on one line because Koivu and Lats seem to be playing well together and Koivu is very responsible defensively ... Kovy is well Kovy .. hopefully he can get jump started and get some great shots off with Lats in front.

the "other" line of Sammy , Higgins , Ryder would hopefully get Sammy jump started by having two really good shooters on his line he can feed the puck too and make simple plays. Maybe it would get Ryder to be more consitant as well

I think the problem with the Sammy , Pleck , Kovy line is they try way to hard to be to complicated ... way to much east/west and not enough north/south ... if they stay together they need to make things a little more simple until they start to click, and then try the hard/cute crap that they're doing now.

I am in the camp that believes Plekenec is a problem on the second line....the guy just can't finish.

It saddens me to say that Plecks might be becoming a Bulis type ... wants to be offensive but just can't bury the puck consitantly ... with perezhogin doing so well on the 3rd line plecks might become expendable or packaged for an upgrade somewhere. I just can't see him on the 4th line or that type of player.

1. If Sammy needs such a good center between him and Kovy, then why are we paying him 3.5 million dollars? You give that type of money to players who make make things happen on their own.

2. Holy crap, I can't believe you just lamented Perreault being gone. It's been since before the lockout that he played for us! Don't you remember what kind of player he was his last couple years in Montreal? He was a total floater who was adding nothing to the team. He was Mike Ribeiro before Mike Ribeiro was.

You bring some valid points to the table Fanpuck...but Perrault shot just as much as Pleks would...and he could win a hell of a lot more faceoffs!! I think we definitely lost out on Ribiero...as much as that hurts to say...It's true...Very True. I think the team would be better off if we kept one of those two guys..... Secondly, Samsonov serves his purpose every game...he is a 2nd liner at best. He contributed in tonights win, and will pick it up very soon. Just have faith....His contract isn't up yet...I want you to talk to me when his contract is up in Montreal...and tell me if he really was worth the money...Go Sammy Go! :D

Edited by justintb

C-Love, I know what you are saying. However, it is funny that you create a Sammy sucks post and that he is not getting anything going and he wins the Habs the next game. Maybe tarket AK next?

I know, how funny is that. I was watching the game last night and saying to myself, "These HW guys are going to have a field day with this thread." However, I still stand firm in that he should have been producing like this all season, Chad Kilger should not be outscoring Sergei Samsonov, it's just not right. He did look good last night though and I am thankful for that. It's not like I can't stand the guy and want to see him fail, but he has been a huge disappointment to me....and I had really low expectations for him when he came to us. However in the same vein I am pleasantly surprised at how Lats is adapting to the NHL, I really didn't think he would be having this big of an impact on the team, not only is he looking quite comfortable on the ice, he looks to be the best player out there on some shifts.