Why are fans asking if Bob Gainey is going to retire?

Athlétique.Canadien

This thread is meant to blast some people who really seem to have their priorities screwed up. I've talked to a couple of fans about this tragedy and some of their responses were not favourable.

One said, "Oh no, the team is in big trouble now" Another said, "This is a disaster, maybe Bob will retire now, what do we do?"

What do we do? :wacko:

IMO: Who gives a darn about the Canadiens as it relates to this? I mean, really. If Bob wants to retire, after all that he has done for us, he's entitled to do whatever he wants. If he wants to retire that's his business and I would support any decision.

Just to think that people are worried about a/the sports clubs' status and that is their priority.

There seem to be fans out there like this. No doubt when the news of Koivu being sick was delivered their responses weren't;

"I hope he gets well, Be well Saku"

But rather...

"We've lost one, if not our best player. God help the Habs" :wacko:

So, where Does Your Habs Heart Belong?

We all love you Bob, Anna, Colleen and Steve. Be strong. Be happy. God bless.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Well to be fair there are two different issues here -- The Gainey family tragedy and the Habs GM status. I hope people can put things in perspective.

Personally I don't believe Gainey will retire, but will return to his duties in the new year, when he is ready.

Hockey is all is life. He can't not come back,. He won't stay home and do nothing. All is children are grown up now. If they were younger, maybe he'd take some time off.

Still, we know far from everything about him. If he comes out of this (it was an accident after all, she didn't commit suicide.. he doesn't have to feel guilty), he'll be very stronger and (if we want to talk about his GM duties) will do a hell of a job for years to come.

Did Komisarek quit when his mother died? Did Tony Dungy quit when his son took his own life? Did Bob Gainey, himself, quit when his wife died from brain cancer? No. Losing someone close to you is obviously a very tough thing, but giving up doing what you love wouldn't help anything. If he decided to retire because of this, what would he do? Sit at home and mope, never giving him the chance to move on with his life? That would be unacceptable. Yes, he should be sad that this has happened and we all know he won't heal overnight. But Bob Gainey loves hockey and he loves the Canadiens. Being the GM of the Canadiens is his passion at this point in his life. It is something that can help him move on, helping the pain leave his mind, only if for a moment each day. I'm not saying it will help him forget this tragedy, but that it will help him not dwell on it 24/7.

For those fans selfish enough to think of the team before Mr. Gainey, don't worry, he'll be back. But you are the ones you should be worried about. Life comes before hockey, don't forget that. As fans, hockey is just a game that takes our minds of everyday life and entertains us.

It seems to me that we are already discussing something that even he himself and the organisation aren't even thinking of right now! Please folks, this isn't the right time to think like this either way!

Who cares? I don't mean who cares because I don't care about the Habs. I just mean who cares because let's be real, it's NOT important right now. What's important is a woman is likely dead, a father, sisters, and brother are mourning. Let's not even discuss this.

Did Komisarek quit when his mother died? Did Tony Dungy quit when his son took his own life? Did Bob Gainey, himself, quit when his wife died from brain cancer? No. Losing someone close to you is obviously a very tough thing, but giving up doing what you love wouldn't help anything. If he decided to retire because of this, what would he do? Sit at home and mope, never giving him the chance to move on with his life? That would be unacceptable. Yes, he should be sad that this has happened and we all know he won't heal overnight. But Bob Gainey loves hockey and he loves the Canadiens. Being the GM of the Canadiens is his passion at this point in his life. It is something that can help him move on, helping the pain leave his mind, only if for a moment each day. I'm not saying it will help him forget this tragedy, but that it will help him not dwell on it 24/7.

For those fans selfish enough to think of the team before Mr. Gainey, don't worry, he'll be back. But you are the ones you should be worried about. Life comes before hockey, don't forget that. As fans, hockey is just a game that takes our minds of everyday life and entertains us.

:clap::clap:

The main spirit of the thread was to say that we should get our priorities straight. The title of the thread is sarcastic. Just like those who have been critical of it (the thread) I was illustrating the utter foolishness in bringing it up because I've heard similar comments at my work since I launched the thread.

It always staggers me how 9 out of 10 points have merit and the "why are we talking about this" is what people take away from it.

I don't mind if Admin closes the thread. Probably a good idea

He's been phoning Carbo every day to check on the team - kinda says that he's still very involved, woulnd'tcha think? ;)

"Carbonneau has been in daily contact by phone with Gainey. He said the GM was concerned about the team, but Carbonneau urged him to set that aside for now." - from TSN.ca

This whole thread is absurd. Can people really think that other people give up on life when they face adversity? Says more about the person making the silly statements than about the people they write!

Heart goes out to the Gainey clan.

I will not comment on what Gainey will do. What ever he decides to do that is right for him and makes him happy and give him peace will be good enough for me, and I would not judge him either way. I hope the media leaves him alone and gives him time to grieve properly.