Bonk? Is he Okay?

JMMR

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I hope he isn't out for any time. This stuff has to end. I think that the league should impliment a policy that if a player who doesn't wear a suitable visor gets injured in the eye region, they are inelligible for compensation when they are injured. If they don't care about their own friggin' eyes, maybe they will start caring about losing coin ... because players being out can effect a teams success ... like Saku in the playoffs!

Mandatory visors. Now. I'm tired of seeing guys with blood pouring out of their eye sockets like tonight. At least start with a grandfather clause or something.

Sit everyone in the NHLPA down in a movie theatre and show a reel of the Berard footage over and over about 80 times. That'll do the trick, I bet.

Hope Bonk's doing all right.

grandfather clause

That's the ticket right there, because there's no way the NHLPA will agree to the league forcing visors on veteran players. If you grandfather them in now, the impact will be dramatic in just a few short years.

Edited by sbhatt

Man, I hope he isn't out for any time. This stuff has to end. I think that the league should impliment a policy that if a player who doesn't wear a suitable visor gets injured in the eye region, they are inelligible for compensation when they are injured. If they don't care about their own friggin' eyes, maybe they will start caring about losing coin ... because players being out can effect a teams success ... like Saku in the playoffs!

Koivu was wearing a visor, and if he wasn't Williams stick might not have got stuck under it, it is possible that if he did not wear a visor the injury would have happened.

But you are correct they should grandfather it in. Visors prevent more injuries then they cause for sure.

Man, I hope he isn't out for any time. This stuff has to end. I think that the league should impliment a policy that if a player who doesn't wear a suitable visor gets injured in the eye region, they are inelligible for compensation when they are injured.

That's an asinine idea. You want Koivu to pay for his medical expenses because Williams' stick got inside of Koivu's visor? That's ridiculous. You can't go around fining people because they get injured. It's not Saku's fault Williams' stick went where it wasn't supposed to go. It would be like fining Steve Moore because his helmet didn't protect him when Bertuzzi attacked him.

That's an asinine idea. You want Koivu to pay for his medical expenses because Williams' stick got inside of Koivu's visor? That's ridiculous. You can't go around fining people because they get injured. It's not Saku's fault Williams' stick went where it wasn't supposed to go. It would be like fining Steve Moore because his helmet didn't protect him when Bertuzzi attacked him.

No, because Koivu was wearing a visor, so he wouldn't have to pay for anything. And this is about visors, not helmets. I agree about grandfathering it in, but it's true, the players wearing visors shouldn't get compensation if they get injuries... I mean, hockey's a ridiculously fast sport, the puck's always flying EVERYWHERE. How can you expect NOT to get hit???

No, because Koivu was wearing a visor, so he wouldn't have to pay for anything. And this is about visors, not helmets. I agree about grandfathering it in, but it's true, the players wearing visors shouldn't get compensation if they get injuries... I mean, hockey's a ridiculously fast sport, the puck's always flying EVERYWHERE. How can you expect NOT to get hit???

Thank-you shorthanded. I'm glad someone out there can read.

@FanPuck: you, of all people, shouldn't be so quick to point fingers and use any word that has a synonym for the word donkey in it ... it is like the pot calling the kettle black.

Not that I was even proposing this, but since JMMR mentioned it, there are levels of visor protection. Koivu was using just about the smallest visor possible. Had he had a full visor there would have been no issue. Of course, if you have a 1" visor it won't be the same ... so we also have to admit that not all visors are equal.

That being said, how often do those situations actually happen: I mean, compare the amount of injuries visors cause compared to the amount of injuries they prevent. What you are proposing is the like banning seat belts because in the odd occasion they actually cause injury to the spine .... or ending the use of medicine because they have been known to cause more harm than good.

The proof is in the pudding. If face protection is so dangerous why do 100% of goalies wear some type of face protection? (Now before you get all excited fanpuck ... read carefully and think) Answer: because sticks and pucks hurt. Furthermore: face protection can limit the risk of injury. Saying anything different is pure mochismo.

It is called weighing the odds. Visors, for the most part, are good.

Glad to hear Bonk is going to be OK!

Well back on topic the Gazette reported today that Bonk is expected to play Saturday.

i dont think it was a major injury...the only probleme is they coulndt stop the bleeding in time...so carbo said...

Why do you guys care what an adult capable of making choices by themselves wear a visor or not. It is up to the individual players to make that choice, they all know the risks. Koivu had one and his injury was more severe them others who don't wear visors.

How about players STOP high sticking eachother. That would help more then a visor.

Why do you guys care what an adult capable of making choices by themselves wear a visor or not. It is up to the individual players to make that choice, they all know the risks. Koivu had one and his injury was more severe them others who don't wear visors.

How about players STOP high sticking eachother. That would help more then a visor.

... because he plays for my team and when he is out my team loses an important player from the roster. So it is the habs' business whether he takes reasonable precautions to keep from getting hurt, especially in game situations. The league mandates pads and helmets, how is a visor particularly different?

Edited by simonus

The reason is that these guys are paid a lot of money, especially the star players. And in the new cap system, you can't have too many stars. So if you lose one or more of your star players to preventable injuries it can have a serious impact on the entire season (a la Koivu last year).

Stop high sticking. Now that's far fetched. The only way you could do that is to make a return to the wooden stick that weighed a good 5 pounds.

Its like saying, why inforce helmets for motorbike riders? Why don't you just ban accidents?

I know this is an old argument ... but if you are going to be all mocho, it should come out of your own pocket. And to say that it impeeds vision ... well everyone would be in the same boat, so it would be equal.

Wait a minute on the wood sticks, People using that arguement make it sound like the wood sticks are so much heavier then the new ones. It 's not like there is a 10 pound difference or anything. In my league i use a wood stick, i tried a friend of mine's graphite stick and i didn't immediately start high sticking everyone and couldn't control my stick.

There are high paid athletes in all sports, injuries are part of sports and the players should have the coice to wear a visor or not. Simple as that.

There are high paid athletes in all sports, injuries are part of sports and the players should have the coice to wear a visor or not. Simple as that.

So by your logic goaltender helmets should be optional?!? How about non-goalie helmets? Where does it end?

Maybe F-1 drivers should be given the option of wearing helmets, fireproof suits, and seatbelts .... heck, they are high paid athletes, and they are adults.

Obviously, contrary to what you say, it isn't as easy as that. Why? Because mocho egos are involved.

Your going over the deep end on that one. Those items you mentioned are MANDATED by the respective leagues. Visors are not. I would be willing to bet (I don't have any data in front of me) that injuries to the face in hockey is probably at the bottom of the injury lists. Groins, backs, ankles, hands and wrist injuries are way higher. We could have the players stop skate hard to avoid those groin injuries.

But where does it end? Do they force all players to wear a neck pad to prevent another Trent McLeary? Do they force all players to start wearing more padded helmets that are bulky for a fast sport? Do they outlaw slapshots because someone might get hurt by it? There is a balance of things. I'm all for mandatory visors, but refusing to pay for medical treatment is just asinine.

Your going over the deep end on that one. Those items you mentioned are MANDATED by the respective leagues. Visors are not. I would be willing to bet (I don't have any data in front of me) that injuries to the face in hockey is probably at the bottom of the injury lists. Groins, backs, ankles, hands and wrist injuries are way higher. We could have the players stop skate hard to avoid those groin injuries.

Yes, I'm suggesting that it becomes almost mandatory ... since players are not open to the idea of mandatory visors, then they should suffer the cost when they are no longer available to their team due to a preventable injury.

Now that brings us to the next point: preventable injury. The injuries you mentioned are hard to prevent. Pucks and sticks hitting your eyes is easily preventable. How, a visor.

No deep end here. Just people who don't know how to read the complete thread, and then weigh up the proposed ideas, keeping everything in mind.

If you don't want to wear a visor ... don't. But don't expect to have your team pay you 5 millim bucks per season as you recover because you didn't want to wear it. It can be prevented. Thus it is preventable.

Don't know why all you people think that adult stars shouldn't be responsible and accountable for their own decisions. They don't want to wear it, they pay the price ... or rather, they don't get paid. Many sports have these kind of clauses. If an athlete breaks their leg doing something dangerous like MXing, then they aren't paid ... because they broke their contract. You want the big bucks, then you have to give up certain liberties ... seeing as you are now for all intents and purposes an ASSET!

Yes, I'm suggesting that it becomes almost mandatory ... since players are not open to the idea of mandatory visors, then they should suffer the cost when they are no longer available to their team due to a preventable injury.

I don't know about Chris, but the point I'm basically trying to make is that the idea is silly because refusing to cover medical costs is no different than making visors mandatory. What that would boil down to is blackmailing players into wearing a visor, and that's no way to handle a business.

Exactly fanpuck. My only real point is that players should have the choice to wear visors or not. It's not up to the writters, media or the fans to make that choice. The reason visors are not mandatory is the PLAYERS vote against it. Simple as that. You think high sticking is bad now, wait until everyone gets a visor.

The contract and insurance is just a bad idea. The teams and owners pay the bills. If you don't like what's going on, don't attend games.

I'm not suggesting that they don't get their injury costs covered. This should be covered by insurance or medicare. What I'm suggesting is that they don't get paid. If they want to roll the dice it should be on their coin. This way they can ask themselves .... is it worth the risk ...

Sadly money speaks more than body parts, because after seeing Bedard or Koivu I would never play hockey without eye protection, just as I wouldn't drive without a seatbelt, or downhill MTB without a full face helmet and body armor. It just isn't worth the risks for me ... but for other people money is more important than site ... I don't get it.

I'm not suggesting that they don't get their injury costs covered. This should be covered by insurance or medicare. What I'm suggesting is that they don't get paid. If they want to roll the dice it should be on their coin. This way they can ask themselves .... is it worth the risk ...

Either way, it still amounts to blackmailing players to do something you want. It's like telling Eric Lindros not to play hard because they won't pay him if he gets another concussion.