Makh2o

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Souray to be traded? lol

Maybe we're going to dump Niinimaa?

Or maybe we just want him for AHL.

Montreal is lacking defensive depth, so I'm sure it's just a depth move.

It was a trade:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=188514&hubname=nhl

MONTREAL (CP) - The Montreal Canadiens acquired Mathieu Biron from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for Patrick Traverse in a swap of minor-league defencemen Friday.

Because Biron is right-handed and we're seriously lacking depth in defensemen on the right side. After Komisarek, Dandeneault and Rivet our only other right-side D is O'Byrne. There was a depth gap to fill there and Biron will provide us with an NHL-seasoned safety mesure in case of injuries...

... here's hoping he can be a late-bloomer. I remember he was looking pretty good as a junior, especially on that WJC Team Canada. Back then he was paired with Barret Jackman and they were dominant. His long reach made his side just impenetrable.

In any case, just a smart depth move... Hmmm, I wonder if Gauthier is trying to do as much as he can while Gainey is away.

Edited by KoZed

Hahah the Habs claim Traverse from waivers from the Sharks then trade him back, this guy is a yo-yo.

As for the trade it means nothing, Biron has a decent slap shot from the point but is usless on the ice as a defenseman.

lmao...

Signs Traverse and then picks up a solid depth plyer for him. The difference between them is that Biron would atleast make a half-decent injury callup. Traverse will NEVER step foot in and the dirty the Bell Centre ice again! :clap:

What makes me wonder is that San Jose was the team we claimed Traverse from. Maybe they were a bit upset that we claimed a player they had plans for.

I'm surprised Gainey was talking trades during his time of mourning. EDIT: Read KoZed's post and remembered - Pierre Gauthier made the move, although of course he had to consult with Gainey before pulling the trigger.

lmao...

Signs Traverse and then picks up a solid depth plyer for him. The difference between them is that Biron would atleast make a half-decent injury callup. Traverse will NEVER step foot in and the dirty the Bell Centre ice again! :clap:

What makes me wonder is that San Jose was the team we claimed Traverse from. Maybe they were a bit upset that we claimed a player they had plans for.

I'm surprised Gainey was talking trades during his time of mourning.

Gauthier could have made the deal.

Sheesh, I was REALLY confused with the topic title. I edited it. It said MARTIN Biron. I was wondering why on earth would the Habs need another goalie.

Haha, we must have been working on it at the same time, I edited it too. I must have finished after you, haha.

lol Martin Biron ..

Mathieu the giant has good stats this year in the AHL 3-15-18pts after 24 games. and +7

Funny to see Gauthier make a trade, even if it's a minor one. Maybe it's just a test to see if the trade will go through. THen tomorrow he'll trade Samsonov :D

lol Martin Biron ..

Mathieu the giant has good stats this year in the AHL 3-15-18pts after 24 games. and +7

Funny to see Gauthier make a trade, even if it's a minor one. Maybe it's just a test to see if the trade will go through. THen tomorrow he'll trade Samsonov :D

lol, nahhh, Samsonov isn't going anywhere.

Great move though, I absolutely dislike Traverse. You have to think that management is getting pretty serious about our AHL team. Getting Biron is obviously an upgrade over Traverse, and that will help the team in big ways.

It's almost certain that Gainey gave the OK for it at a minimum, if not orchestrated it outright.

Gauthier has been GM of Anaheim and Ottawa, I'm sure he doesn't need Gainey to make a trade as minor as swapping two AHL defensemen. Probably all Gainey had to say was "alright" and that's about it.

Dec. 19 - 27: Holiday roster freeze

Just a random bit of info here. I knew there was a roster freeze, but thought it started earlier.

With Higgins coming back it's evident that Montreal will have to make another move. The only move that does not include a player being potentially lost through trade or waivers is Maxim Lapierre back to Hamilton.

Thus, Gauthier (& Gainey depending how involved he is right now) have 4 days to figure things out.

Nice depth move for the Bulldogs. The real question, however, is why would the sharks want Travers? Is he married to someone's daughter in the organization?

Hopefully he will turn in to a Chara type player under the tutelage of the Habs staff B)

Just a random bit of info here. I knew there was a roster freeze, but thought it started earlier.

With Higgins coming back it's evident that Montreal will have to make another move. The only move that does not include a player being potentially lost through trade or waivers is Maxim Lapierre back to Hamilton.

Thus, Gauthier (& Gainey depending how involved he is right now) have 4 days to figure things out.

Tell Lapierre he needs to injure Murray in practice to stay in the NHL... then put Murray on the IR.

Problem solved. :P

Interesting. And based on his performance, I'm thinking Maxim might stay up with the big club for a while. What to do... what to do...?

I Agree with the comments made early about this move being part of something bigger.

Deals aren't often made with such quickness and ease; This maybe part of something big in the future. The habs have something brewing! I'm still hopeful that Gainey is planning another brilliant move to help the habs in the second half of this season. Much like he did when he traded for Kovalev. We are still missing a few keys to make our current team cup contenders. Look for a blockbuster deal that puts the habs in major contention for a good cup run.

Go Habs Go!