Best Start Since...

Aebischer4life

1982-83!

Since 1980 here are the top 5 starts habs have had.

1982-83: 19-7-6= 44

2006-07: 19-8-5= 43

1987-88: 18-7-7= 43

1992-93: 19-9-4= 42

1984-85: 18-9-5= 41

Habs are now:

2nd in the East in points

1st on the powerplay

2nd on the penalty kill

2nd fewest goals allowed in the east

Souray has the most goals among dmen and 3rd most points

Huet leads the league in save % with 0.932!

Isnt it a surprise seeing we missed Higgins for so long, Samsonov hasnt been playing well with only 14 points this season and Kovalev isnt either?

GO HABS GO

Edited by Aebischer4life

1982-83!

Habs are now:

1st on the powerplay

2nd on the penalty kill

Isnt it a surprise seeing we missed Higgins for so long, Samsonov hasnt been playing well with only 14 points this season and Kovalev isnt either?

GO HABS GO

Your a very livly member lol, But yea its awesome to see us being a top contender in awhile.

We did have an awesome start.. but hope we can finish it well and not go into a losing slump, believe in this team! I can feel it... I like the stats that are up there ^_^ will definitely makes other teams scared of the Habitants!!!

1982-83!

Habs are now:

1st on the powerplay

2nd on the penalty kill

GO HABS GO

i'm still hearing, especially in the french press, that this is all 'un feu de paille' (a flash in the pan, if you will) and that reality will soon set in as the team sinks to it's old habits and real potential... sigh.....

GO :hlogo: GO!

obviously one has to note that in earlier years there were fewer points up for grabs, but this is definitely fantastic.

it's also pretty nice to be 6 pts ahead of the leafs and 8 points ahead of the senators with two games in hand.

Edited by simonus

It's the first time in a long time than I watch AHEAD in the standings and not BEHIND. OTT,TOR and BOS are too inconsistent to be a treat if we continue playing like we did so far.

Now the objective is to take over Buffalo, as opposed to trying to keep a playoff spot like in the past years.

I'm still hearing, especially in the french press, that this is all 'un feu de paille' (a flash in the pan, if you will) and that reality will soon set in as the team sinks to it's old habits and real potential... sigh.....

GO :logo: GO!

We have definitely won some games we could have lost, but good teams do that. They find a way to win.

Rememeber how many games we played without out set Dmen. Just wait till we have everyone going on all cylinders. A more balanced attack and we will start blowing away some teams. Gainey will make a move or two, Sams will finally adjust (rememeber Gainey said it would take him half a season) Kovalev can only get better and Higgins is back.

I also like Carbo's attitude behind the bench. I was worried he'd be emotional, yelling and uptight. But he appears focused and in control. He has surprised me and I give him credit.

:logo: GO HABS GO!!!! :logo:

Edited by Habsterr

We did have an awesome start.. but hope we can finish it well and not go into a losing slump, believe in this team! I can feel it... I like the stats that are up there ^_^ will definitely makes other teams scared of the Habitants!!!

At what point do we stop calling it an awesome start?

Is 32 games enough yet?

Yeah, it's not really a start anymore as we're about 2/5s through the season. But we're doing great. I think it's about time to accept that we're good. Very good.

i'm still hearing, especially in the french press, that this is all 'un feu de paille' (a flash in the pan, if you will) and that reality will soon set in as the team sinks to it's old habits and real potential... sigh.....

Ugh? I haven't ready anything like that in the press. The worse I read is that the Habs steal wins thanks to Huet, that's about it. Nothing about a flash in the pan or whatever. What papers to you read?

I also like Carbo's attitude behind the bench. I was worried he'd be emotional, yelling and uptight. But he appears focused and in control. He has surprised me and I give him credit.

What I like about Carbo is that he isn't as bland as Vigneault, not as hot-headed as Therrien, not as rigid as Julien and not as unemotionnal as Gainey.

Carbo calls them like he sees them with a refreshing honesty. He's frank but fair in assessing his players perfomances. He also adapts quickly as the game goes on, using whoever is doing well. Best example is Lapierre and Streit getting more and more ice as they proved their worth.

Lo and behold.

I said to anyone who would listen after last season that this team was a good one, very close to being elite. Out here in Vancouver I just got blank stares. And then the consensus opinion of the media 'experts' - most of whom picked the Habs either to miss the playoffs or to just squeak in - left me scratching my head. How could a team with four very strong lines and six fine D, along with two solid NHL goalies, which had taken tje Cup winners to the wall in the first round, and which had done well last season despite having all kinds of crazy things go wrong (Theodore's melt-down, family trauma for Komisarek and Souray, long injury to Kovalev, etc.) - how coulo this team possibly be written off so easily??

Lo and behold. Bob Gainey has built a team with excellence at every level. Every line has good players on it. No player (except, unfortunately, Plekanec) is being asked to do more than he can reasonably do (cf. Bonk, Johnson, Zhogs). The young players are being given the chance to succeed by being placed with excellent linemates (no more of this shunting Higgins onto the fourth line as a checker or throwing Komisarek onto the third pairing). The young talent is actually GOOD for once. Souray has blossomed. The coaching staff are all winners and all excellent hockey minds. It's great!!

I remember, also, looking at the line up for the first game thread and pointing out that the youth wave was now fully arrived: the future is here, I wrote then. And it is.

Lo and behold.

I just got blank stares. And then the consensus opinion of the media 'experts' - most of whom picked the Habs either to miss the playoffs or to just squeak in

It's the same here too. I find that most people who question the potential of the Canadiens are ABC fans (Anyone But Canadiens).

A- Either they're too chicken to admit it.

B- They mentally have Montreal pegged in their minds at the 2000 talent level and have tunnel vision.

C- They realize you are correct but don't want to admit it out loud.

D- It was like this in the 80's and 90's too. Montreal couldn't win because of Edmonton or Pittsburgh or whatever excuse they could think of.

And, the funny thing about "media" predictions. If you examine the opinions on all teams in the NHL you'll notice a certain fear, resignation, lack of interest or whatever in PROPERLY rating the MIGHTY HABS!

Besides, there's T.O. to discuss. We have to talk about T.O. 25 hours a day, 8 days a week.

If I had a freakin' nickle every time I heard the word "leafs" I could retire quite rich :puke:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Lets just hope we arent the new Ottawa Senators... Brilliant in the regular season and quickly eliminated in the playoffs.

I somehow wish we had Zednik when playoff comes (IF it comes).

Deadline deal possibly if the Caps fall apart, but as of right now the Habs woudl play Ovechkin and Zednik in the first round. :P

Ugh? I haven't ready anything like that in the press. The worse I read is that the Habs steal wins thanks to Huet, that's about it. Nothing about a flash in the pan or whatever. What papers to you read?

'flash in the pan' may have been the wrong expression but the idea is that I've listened to sportscasters say that this team is playing way above their capabilities... that, eventually, they'll settle back to where they should be, a team that will have to fight for a playoff spot.

this wasn't only stated by the screaming heads on '110%' but by sports commentators on radio-canada.

i don't remember names but i do remember the statements.

Let the no sayers eat crow as we enjoy the best habs team in a decade :clap:

It's crazy that they're doing so well when so many players haven't found their thing yet. Imagine the Samsonov we saw against Boston playing every game? I keep trying to figure out how the Canadiens win games - until Saku caught fire a week and a half ago, there wasn't a scorer near the top 30. But last season I was feeling the same thing about Buffalo...no complaints at all.