All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Another statistical tidbit: only five Habs regulars with a positive +/- rating: Savard/Evans were next at -1. Matheson and Gallagher ended the year tied at -24.
  3. You are reaching way back for Locke example. Is zero reason Not relevant to drafting a WHL sniper in 2024 is it. Given are 1,000 other top prospects who flopped, we all know is always bit of a crap shoot with high-school kids. And i would prefer to see them go bit more risky for offense upside, than a solid 2 way sure fire NHLer. Like a more offensive Demidov or Catton. (like: i preferred Jagger Firkus (63gms 61goals 126pts this year) vs a Owen Beck)
  4. Very true ... but it also doesn't mean that he couldn't have passed on to Kapanen some "tips and tricks" that allowed Davidson to earn a living for 4 NHL seasons, parts of 3 others, and 2 more in the AHL), in the NHL.
  5. Bruins/Dallas/Florida/Rangers/Vancouver dressed 10 different d-men this year Aves/Oilers/Carolina dressed 9 different d-men. So NHL-ready depth always needed. e.g. Savard goes down in Oct and Reinbacher or Mailloux recalled earlier than wanted. And also seems a given, that at least 1 d-man will be traded before the fall.
  6. Florida picked Guy Lafleur in the expansion draft, and apologized to Pierre page, becuase they didn’t actually want anyone from the Nordiques.
  7. As always, with soooooo mnay players, the question is whether the #s will translate to the NHL. After watching his junior career I was so pumped when the habs got Corey Locke in the 4th round of the 2003 after his CHL Player of the year and Top Scorer Awards (Regular Season: 66 gms, 63 g, 88 a, 151 pts; Playoffs: 46 gms, 23 gms, 19 g, 19 a, 38 pts) ... GREAT AHL player ... 9 gms, 0 g, 1 a ... albeit Locke was smaller. That is why NHL scouts/GMs get well-paid.
  8. My guess is that at least one of those Dmen won’t be on the roster next season. I frankly love the amount of competition for a roster spot now. I do expect some players to be in Laval that are ready for NHL while they sort the roster out - Hutson could surely play NHL next year, even if he has stuff to work on but there isn’t a spot for him. I bet Savard is traded at the next deadline and then Reinbacker takes his spot to finish out the season.
  9. At least he isn't drafting a dead player. In the 1995 Las Vegas Posse dispersal draft, the Ottawa Rough Riders selected defensive end Derrell Robertson in the fifth round, only to discover that he had passed away in a car crash roughly five months earlier ... a year later, the Montreal Alouettes selected defensive end James Eggink in the fifth round of the Canadian college draft in 1996; after the draft a Concordia University football coach noticed Eggink's selection and called the Montreal Alouettes to inform them that Eggink had passed away from cancer a number of months prior.
  10. cough *Sergachev* cough. Bergevin was decent at the trade table, but I don't think he was terribly stubborn about not trading prospects.
  11. Today
  12. I just read a headline about Engstrom. Isn't Bogdan Konyushkov also a strong prospect? For sure, the prospect pipeline has been fixed, notably by MB stubbornly insisting on not trading prospects and HughGort using expiring contracts and veterans smartly on trades for young talent. Now, it is time to start putting a team that competes together.
  13. Also there is Engstrom on the left. And Harris can play left or right--maybe Guhle in the future as well. That flexibility is very helpful when the inevitable injuries hit.
  14. I have been following the Rocket all season to see how much the D prospects are progressing to then try to guess what HughGort may do with the NHL roster. I am not knowledgeable enough to predict how much more to expect from Harris. He seems to me like an ideal 3rd pair LD on a cup playoff team. At the AHL level, Trudeau has sometimes been good but I do not remember any analyst of commentator reporting that has has been great for any significant stretch. So, on LD, it is a question of whom the Habs can develop to be a top-4 out of Hutson/Xhekaj/Struble.They each have teh potential, with Hutson's being off-the-charts. On the RD, I believe Savard will be traded at the deadline; so the Habs ahve the bare minimum to fill all the spots on that side at the NHL level. Kovacevic is a great asset to have on RD. I would be patient for another year, while looking for the best trade return for Savard before the trade deadline.
  15. Impressive #s and offense is what Habs lack... just saying.
  16. All i can think about is what we are going to end up doing with hte blue line! Matheson-Guhle Harris-Savard Struble-Mailloux Xhejak-Kovacevic Hutson-Barron Trudeau-Reinbacher Would we really have this in the AHL? Hutson-Reinbacher Xhejak/Struble-Barron/Mailloux Trudeau In the NHL having... Matheson-Guhle Harris-Savard Xhejak/Struble-Mailloux/Barron Kovacevic Obviously pairings subject to completely change. Do we see keeping Harris, Xhejak, Struble, Barron, Mailloux around to battle for the spots... Then flip who doesn't make it? I figure Kovacevic is our 7th... Just wild
  17. After starting this season in the AHL, we all know he aint going back to the OHL again.
  18. Talk isnt worth much with aging athletes and maybe a stint in the AHL will be needed, before an Armia-transformation happens?
  19. 25 Henry Mews 31 Henry Mews. He has one player drafted twice.
  20. I just hope the injury curse phantom passes over Hutson. I wonder how he sill do against physical NHL play, much like Harris had to adapt his game.
  21. It will be interesting to see how opposing players adapt once the word gets out about him. But safe to say he bids fair to be, without question, the most electrifying Habs defenceman since PK Subban. His shiftiness in this video is profoundly reminiscent of Quinn Hughes - same kind of player. The video is also correct that a D-man like this will "open up the entire Habs offence." 100%. Hughes's supremacy has had a cascading effect on the entire Cancuks roster. I am NOT saying Hutson will be Hughes; rather the point is that a D-man that can manage the offence makes everyone better.
  22. Technically he would be able to return for one more season, but I do expect that this is rather unlikely.
  23. Yes, Winnipeg needs to go out in the 1st two rounds and some of the teams that have less points than Winnipeg need to make the final four. It really helped that they didn't win their division. Go Avs but Winnipeg finished the season on a roll and they have much better goaltending than the Avs so I expect Winnipeg to win the 1st round.
  24. This was from April 15, I looked it over several times as I couldn't see Konsta Helenius in the 1st round. Am I going blind? How could you possibly not have him in the 1st round? Crazy. Then I did some research and this guy Jake Rill is a baseball reporter, maybe shouldn't write about things you don't have a clue about. 2024 NHL Mock Draft: Full Round 1 Projections for Every Team | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report
  25. Interesting article explaining how Winnipeg's pick ***** COULD ***** end up as low as 23rd overall ... VERY unlikely, but possible.
  26. It shows you the jump between these leagues and the NHL. The swedish league is a top 4 league in the world (NHL, AHL, and then either SHL or KHL).... but its still a massive jump to the NHL. Yes Brendan Davidson, a journeyman 7th/8th D in the NHL is a top pairing guy in the SHL.
  1. Load more activity