All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Permanent Rumour Thread

Petry i look at differently. Anytime you trade for a player and have the chance to have him in the city for 2 months and sell him on that and change the perception of the team and the organization and the city... I think its different then attracting a UFA.
  3. Habs re-sign Gustav Olofsson

I have dreams about this. Weber posted left centre.
  4. Permanent Rumour Thread

Well, there are others, such as Alzner (!) - who we now know to be garbage, but would have be sought after as a mid-range guy, and Jeff Petry, who was not technically UFA but opted not to go to market in order to stay with the Habs. The latter would have been a pretty prized UFA, if memory serves. I guess I'd have to agree that the Habs "haven't been a favoured UFA destination." But I think this narrative is sometimes elided into "UFAs avoid Montreal," which seems to me untrue as a general statement. What we have not generally done is bag the top-end elite UFA. I'll have to concede that. We seem to do fine with mid-range guys. Who are these "favoured UFA destinations" anyway? Toronto and New York spring to mind. Sunbelt teams seem to have an edge over wintry northern climes. Other than that, it seems to be whichever teams appear to offer the most exciting chance to win. There was a time when Detroit could vacuum up UFAs at will; I'm not so sure that's so true now. In other words, if the Habs were ever able to really position themselves as an elite NHL team (which we have not been able to do since about 1993) they would probably start attracting the top-end UFAs. (It may be telling that Petry signed on after he became convinced that the Price/PK/Pleks/Patches team was on the cusp of contending).
  5. Habs re-sign Gustav Olofsson

I can see that argument. I also see the attraction of Karlsson passing to Shea Weber.
  6. Habs re-sign Gustav Olofsson

Thanks. I'd prefer to move Petry to LD. If we sign Karlsson, I want full Erik Karlsson, not a guy who may or may not be as effective because we've thrown him on his wrong side.
  7. 2018-19 NHL General Discussion Thread

Yup and its getting younger in recent years.
  8. Permanent Rumour Thread

He also played on the much less dangerous 2nd PP unit. He would definitely be a focal point on our #1 with his scoring ability.
  9. Permanent Rumour Thread

Also Laine had a very inconsistent year. He was really hot and cold which effected his linemates production. They got him the puck and he wasn't scoring at some points, and at others everything he touched went in. If he wasn't on his line when he was hot... either through injury or line juggling... but was when he was cold, it would effect the numbers and wouldnt' even be his fault.
  10. Habs re-sign Gustav Olofsson

He hasn't. He said in an interview that he was willing to try when they made the Subban trade and were looking for a partner for Weber the first time. But they never even tried him at that time (and there was good reason to have him anchor the second pair at the time too)... Most RD have never played LD as there are more LD out there than RD so teams don't usually get in that situation. That said, he probably could do it. If they sign Karlsson, the options are play Karlsson at LD, or move Petry.
  11. Permanent Rumour Thread

Missed 20 games last season. Had a shoulder injury which in most cases can be often lingering. He was bounced around lines quite a bit also but still managed a goal every 3 games.
  12. Permanent Rumour Thread

If you can get Karlsson. Its no guarantee. It looks like he will listen to the Habs, but that doesn't mean we are the only team he's willing to listen to, or that we are even the top team. He might get an offer he likes better from New York or San Jose or Tampa, or whoever. We need a talented player, and if we can't get Karlsson, I don't mind getting a talented winger who is still just 23.
  13. Permanent Rumour Thread

Since the 2009 splurge... (Cammalleri and Gionta) we've signed exactly two big UFAs... Erik Cole and Alex Radulov. Thats it in terms of big name guys on the open market. There are a number of reasons for it, but it doesn't change the fact we aren't attracting names... and weren't prior to the 2009 splurge either. So i don't think its an unfair narrative to say we haven't been a favoured UFA destination. The reasons for it and how to fix it, very much up for debate and some of the narratives there I think are wrong... but the facts are that we aren't getting the guys we've gone for
  14. Permanent Rumour Thread

What the hell happened to his production last season, though? Anyhow, assuming the pro scouts confirm that there is nothing fundamentally wrong, I'd trade the #15 for sure in return for him. Kind of a no-brainer, really.
  15. Who do the Habs take in the 2019 draft?

At this point I’m rooting for Newhook just because I’m a Newfie lol
  16. Just saw that Saku and Mats Naslund were involved in Habs euro combine last year; just nice to hear is all.
  17. Permanent Rumour Thread

I would part with pick #15 💯, although it will probably cost more. And I’d be willing to do it for a young, fast goal scorer which we don’t have right now.
  18. Permanent Rumour Thread

The Habs need upgrades at W too. It's just that W is not a gaping organizational chasm like D is. The mindset that you will not upgrade because 'position X is filled' will ensure permanent mediocrity. That said, if the only major move the Habs make is to add Karlsson (and maybe a decent backup) I'd be happy.
  19. Permanent Rumour Thread

Then trade a winger in package for LH d-man, still think Karlsson will sign extension with San Jose soon, so go for an upgrade on left side, just not a Karlsson-type upgrade on d.
  20. Permanent Rumour Thread

Agree, just what would it cost? Jets want to shed salary for sure, so picks/prospect/cheap young player likely what looking for? Would Pick #15 do it, Jets have no 1st round pick yet?
  21. Permanent Rumour Thread

They don't need another winger. Put all the cap towards Karlsson. You basically get a winger and a d-man with Karlsson.
  22. Habs re-sign Gustav Olofsson

Has Petry ever played any time on LD? If so how did he do? I'm just imagining a Karlsson signing and how it would ramify for the roster. Petry would be the obvious candidate for a bump to the left side...
  23. Permanent Rumour Thread

According to Pierre LeBrun, Jets are listening to offers for Nikolai Ehlers. Scoring. ✅ Speed. ✅ $6 million a season. Yes please.
  1. Load more activity