All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Cole Caufield Scouting Report

On the other side of the ice... Caulfield might end up even better though cause there is more grit and willingness to play in his own end.
  3. Subban traded to Nashville

BINGO. Its not going to end up subban for davies, santini and 2 seconds. It looks like it will be Subban for the cap space for Duchene, davies, santini, and 2 seconds. Cap space has value if there is a ufa out there who made it clear he wants to join you.
  4. Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

The latest update from the Athletic on Julius Honka: Seems like a swap with Hudon would likely be enough to get the deal done. And it would free up about $1M of cap space for us, too. If it doesn't work out, we don't have much to lose in any case.
  5. Subban traded to Nashville

We can also ask - if Nashville had Weber instead of Subban, don't you think they'd be looking to move the 34-year-old Weber and his $8 mil contract in order to create cap room for help at FW? Except that Weber would probably be a less desirable commodity than Subban at this stage of his career. So I don't think we can infer much at all from this trade, except that a team that is stacked at a certain position is likely to be willing to move major assets from that position if that's required to create cap room for help in major areas of weakness.
  6. Cole Caufield Scouting Report

Am I crazy to think Cammalleri might be a good comparable? Everything I read suggests as much.
  7. Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

Yes. Am aware of that. But if the incremental cost (over Lindgren) of a good backup is $1.5M or less, I consider that "not a huge dent".
  8. Who do the Habs take in the 2019 draft?

LA's development camp.
  9. Who do the Habs take in the 2019 draft?

Where is Billy Constantinou headed?
  10. Yesterday
  11. Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

Believe me, I know. But the days of signing veteran backups for money that Alex Auld and Peter Budaj got (the last time the Habs really turned to veteran backups before Niemi) are long gone so I was just putting that out there.
  12. Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

Sure, but you sign a backup and you can knock 750 off the capfriendly sheet for Lindgren too... so its like 1.25 out of that 13.
  13. Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

A capable backup goalie may cost more than you think - the way the market has gone the last couple of years, expect $2 million or more if you want someone remotely half-decent.
  14. Was in the tweets on main webpage i think or maybe was on TV? GOHABSGO, montrealcanadiens, or HabsTV likely has the clip (cant even remember if was friday or sat)
  15. Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

And maybe a backup goalie, too. Though that likely won’t make a huge dent in the cap space.
  16. Who do the Habs take in the 2019 draft?

Thanks for the articles guys!
  17. Subban traded to Nashville

Oh I agree with that. I was just stating Nashville thinks more highly of Duchene than Subban right now. I think the cap reason is probably one of the biggest reasons but I don’t think it was the sole reason.
  18. Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

The thing is, yes Alzner's contract sucks. But given that we have 23 players signed and 10 million in space on Cap Friendly (as Lehkonen and Armia sign and training camp come guys like Poehling will be off our cap if he doesn't make the team and Weise and Alzner won't be part of that 23. So realistically we have ~13 million to spend and Armia, Lehkonen to sign and one defenceman to acquire. Bottom line, yes Alzner's contract sucks, but we don't need to be in a rush to do anything with it. Its not hurting us right now.
  19. Who do the Habs take in the 2019 draft?

Don, I remember hearing the same thing. I think it was live right after they drafted Caulfield and I remember thinking the same thing, who was the other one they had in mind? I would also guess Krebs or Newhook as those two came right after.
  20. Subban traded to Nashville

Last off-season he was also coming off a year where he was third in Norris voting, and Turris was coming off a year where he looked like a legit #2 centre. This year both of those things were not true, so we can see the reason why this year is a little different on the ice.
  21. Who do the Habs take in the 2019 draft?

Where are the timmins interviews?
  22. Subban traded to Nashville

My conclusion is that regardless of whether this was a good or bad deal for us, Nashville really came out of this poorly. Yes, they did have Subban for three years but after the trip to the finals the first year, they only won one more playoff series with Subban.
  23. Subban traded to Nashville

There was also serious trade rumours last off season. Looks like one off season later those rumours had more legs then we all originally thought. It is NOT normal that a player of his calibre be moved twice in 3 seasons. Think D. Hamilton to a lesser extent. I would also think we'd be fools to not think the reasons for his trade are only cap implications.
  24. LD: what will happen? What should happen? What could happen?

Its not necessarily that he can't possibly find some confidence to be an NHL 6th/7th Dman at some point, somewhere, but the odds are heavily stacked against him and his play style. Worse though, is he has no chance at all of bumping Mete, Kulak, and Folin out of the line up, so other than some catastrophic LD injuries here, it is mission impossible.
  25. Timmins said when came to 15, he had a choice of 2 kids and went with Caufield, was the other one Krebs or Newhook?
  26. Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

I think Alzner becomes significantly more tradeable after his signing bonus is paid NEXT July, but he'd still be a negative value contract and will need to be shipped off with an asset. Can also couple that with the 2021 expansion draft and give Seattle an incentive to pick Alzner. Ideally, the next CBA comes with a compliance buyout like the last 2 have, but I doubt it happens.
  1. Load more activity