Habs claim Jeff Halpern off waivers

dlbalr

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher // this is working

Galchenyuk - Eller - Prust // Prust allows both of them to keep playing with an edge

Bourque/White - Halpern - Ryder // Halpern is an intelligent vet, who'll find either Bourque around the net or Ryder in the slot

Moen/Armstrong - Plekanec - Gionta // Plek has great PK chemistry with Moen & Gio. Great shutdown line and Armstrong can play shifts on that line for a little more offensive when needed

I'm not really crazy about this. The PK needs help and faceoffs, and he's free...but I want some grit. When Diaz takes Tinordi's place and Halpern takes White's place, this will be a soft, soft team. Tough guys who can play are the hardest players to find.

I'm tired of being bullied by Boston and Toronto.

I'm not really crazy about this. The PK needs help and faceoffs, and he's free...but I want some grit. When Diaz takes Tinordi's place and Halpern takes White's place, this will be a soft, soft team. Tough guys who can play are the hardest players to find.

If there's any other move, I'd see an upgrade over Armstrong/Moen. Habs owe Plekanec a real 1st-class LW.

Toronto bullied us once and since then we've been one of the powers of the NHL.

Does everyone completely forget the last time we played Toronto and Boston!?

Who cares? Prust hurt his shoulder in his fight, leading to his injury, and Bourque lost a month due to Orr. Then Chara on Emelin, and Pacioretty! Eastern Conference hockey isn't a kids game and I'm tired of these guys being embarrassed physically. So after the Laraque "experiment" is that it? No need for a sheriff? Ever? Give Mr a break. Maybe these injuries can't be prevented, but what about revenge? Or pride?

Jeff Halpern is a joke.

What's so bad about Moen? He's a great penalty killer and defensive forward. If anything I want an upgrade on White. He is clueless about his role since his benching.

Nothing wrong with Moen, but Jagr on a line with fellow countrymen Plekanec would be more impactful

Halpern's a no-brainer depth acquisition. You need guys like that in the playoffs.

As to whether we're tough enough, hard to say. The issue is less team toughness as such (you don't go 20-5 or whatever we are while being soft) and more whether we have a team that is rugged enough to survive four rounds of thuggish poundings game in and game out once the refs have put away the whistles. I don't see these guys being intimidated; I do see them being potentially broken down under long-term non-stop grinding punishment, rather like Vancouver was two years ago. At least one more dude who can play, hit hard, and drop 'em if needed would, therefore, be nice; so I'd like another dur-à-cuire type in the mould of Chris Neil, I suppose. But those guys don't grow on trees. Besdies, anyone who is frantic with anxiety about this team going into the playoffs simply hasn't been paying attention. What we've got right now is plenty good.

where the heck do we fit Jagr in now??

A 4th line pickup like this doesn't preclude any future moves. If the Habs want him (or another top six forward), there will be room. The 23-man roster limit only comes into play until the trade deadline and Montreal does have a bit of flexibility if they had to work something in a pinch (Dumont, Gallagher, and Tinordi can all go down without waivers while Blunden also can as he's on an emergency callup - I expect him to be sent down tomorrow).

Claiming Halpern doesn't mean MB is done, he simply saw an opportunity to strengthen the 4th line centre position while improve the PK - two things the Habs needed to do.

They could still try and get a Clowe and Morrow for the 3rd line and I suspect that will take a roster player traded the other way to do so.

And picks/prospects.

Rumors are that Clowe is playing with an injured shoulder. Colour me uninterested. The guy has 0 goals, and I don't think he's going to get back to being a 20 goal guy until he takes care of the injury.

Rumors are that Clowe is playing with an injured shoulder. Colour me uninterested. The guy has 0 goals, and I don't think he's going to get back to being a 20 goal guy until he takes care of the injury.

if he does have a injured shoulder that would explain his production and I'd agree I wouldn't want him.

Jagr on the other hand would be a great fit. Should have instant chemistry with Pleks, size with skill and experience. I wish he was the guy we picked up for Cole. What really hurts is that he should have been signed for nothing in the summer.

if he does have a injured shoulder that would explain his production and I'd agree I wouldn't want him.

Jagr on the other hand would be a great fit. Should have instant chemistry with Pleks, size with skill and experience. I wish he was the guy we picked up for Cole. What really hurts is that he should have been signed for nothing in the summer.

I'm not interested in any deadline pickups unless there's an injury. I don't think they work, and they cost an arm and a leg.

I'm not interested in any deadline pickups unless there's an injury. I don't think they work, and they cost an arm and a leg.

Depends on the what the deadline pickup cost. Gainey's second best trade for the habs was picking up Kovy at the deadline (could have been Pleks if Sather didn't pick Bulaj or whatever his name was over Pleks). On the other hand, his best trade was trading Rivet for what turned out to be Gorges and Maxpac.

So as long as you don't overpay and don't give a top prospect, the deadline pickup can bring in the experience and fill a need (for us size/skill up front, size on the blueline)

Totally agree on Jagr, habs29. I said so in the summer and was bewildered by the retort that 'he's overpaid.' It's for one year, who gives a rip???

One argument that's been surfacing around here is that you can't pick up player X because 'there's no room' in the lineup for him. I say, bugger that. Cup-winning teams have excellent depth. If our biggest problem is where to play, say, Jagr, then that's exactly the sort of problem I want us to have.

Jagr doesn't fit.

the heck he doesn't for jagr you find a way. Remember Halpern can be sent down to ahl, if he clears waivers. Choice Halpern or Jagr I am all over jagr. Now having said that I think the halpern pick up is good, maybe he can teach some faceoff skills to the bunch we have. Or we have other guys to send down who don' t need to clear waivers. MB smart guy, he will figure it out.

Exactly. If getting Jagr means Prust or bourque is on the 4th line, that's a good thing.

Totally agree on Jagr, habs29. I said so in the summer and was bewildered by the retort that 'he's overpaid.' It's for one year, who gives a rip???

One argument that's been surfacing around here is that you can't pick up player X because 'there's no room' in the lineup for him. I say, bugger that. Cup-winning teams have excellent depth. If our biggest problem is where to play, say, Jagr, then that's exactly the sort of problem I want us to have.

Rumor (from Renaud Lavoie) is Jagr will be signing a one year extension in Dallas.

We really should have signed him. I think a some of the credit for giroux's development should go to Jagr.