Apr. 24: Game 5, Ottawa vs Montreal

dlbalr

People blame MT for fiddling too much (the 'blender') even as they blame him for not fiddling enough (the PP). That's the way it goes.

MT's major mistake, it seems to me, was in leaving the configuration that lost Game Four pretty much intact. This was a reasonable move in principle - after all, those guys had just gone up 3-0, and were entitled to another shot, etc. - but it blew up. Therrien must now make adjustments, both to game plan and personnel. Given DD's struggles, a bigger role for Eller would seem an obvious place to start.

Here's another thought. Much has been made of the Habs's use of the 'stretch pass' in this series. That approach is yielding declining returns as the Sens have adapted to it. But - and correct me if I'm off-base on this - I don't recall the Habs constantly relying so heavily on stretch passes in the regular season. So the obvious inference is that this was a deliberate strategy that worked for a while but doesn't any more; and the team needs to get back to the short, quick passes on the transition and close support for the puck carrier. If these guys still keep trying the long bomb next game, we'll know that either they or MT have failed to adjust.

rangers did that last season to the habs and shut down the straetch pass. habs did not adjust and just kept trying it.

I think the Habs have used the stretch pass a lot all year to be honest. I've griped many times about how the wingers fly the zone way too early, a byproduct of frequent stretch passes. Quite a few Pacioretty breakaway goals have come that route as well. Perhaps they're using it a bit more than usual in the series but I wouldn't expect that to change for tomorrow as it has been in their DNA all year.

Absolutely. Habs have never gotten away from using the stretch pass. When you play the same team every night in the play offs you cant just roll along with the same thing every game. Good coaches and smart players adjust.

Guest Stogey24

rangers did that last season to the habs and shut down the straetch pass. habs did not adjust and just kept trying it.

1-3-1 kills the stretch pass.

I remember so clearly Montreal consistently trying that stretch pass too