Official MLB Discussion Thread

Quebecois

For me, AA needs another major move. How about ascribing to Hunter 101(Dale)-- learning when to cut bait. Could have use that wisdom over the last 21 years.

I don't think there's enough payroll space left for another major move and I don't see them getting rid of one of their core players to potentially free up more space. I think they'll add another reliever for the closer role and trade Navarro; it remains to be seen if those will occur in the same trade or not. After that, they won't have enough room to add anyone notable, maybe shore up depth somewhere but that's all.

I don't think there's enough payroll space left for another major move and I don't see them getting rid of one of their core players to potentially free up more space. I think they'll add another reliever for the closer role and trade Navarro; it remains to be seen if those will occur in the same trade or not. After that, they won't have enough room to add anyone notable, maybe shore up depth somewhere but that's all.

Yeah, i am with you. However i read the article today in Jays Journal about the Jays being in on Shields. I know that they have been allegedly linked to everyone that has the potential to wear spikes. Given that AA and Beeston have repeatedtly said that if the right deal was there, the money would come; I got a good feeling about this one. God knows that Rogers needs to make a splash!

Yeah, i am with you. However i read the article today in Jays Journal about the Jays being in on Shields. I know that they have been allegedly linked to everyone that has the potential to wear spikes. Given that AA and Beeston have repeatedtly said that if the right deal was there, the money would come; I got a good feeling about this one. God knows that Rogers needs to make a splash!

The Jays get linked to everyone since they don't come out and deny that they've had talks with a certain player. I'm sure they kicked the tires but when they were told that there is already a 5 year, $110M offer on the table, that would have been the end of that.

The Jays get linked to everyone since they don't come out and deny that they've had talks with a certain player. I'm sure they kicked the tires but when they were told that there is already a 5 year, $110M offer on the table, that would have been the end of that.

Yeah, its outrageous. That's what tipping me that there is some validity. Just a hunch.

Boy, is Oakland ever changing their roster this year. At least this time, they're buying, picking up Zobrist and Escobar for John Jaso and a couple of prospects. Who'd have thought that Escobar and Lawrie would have been reunited so quickly? And how bad is Tampa going to be offensively? Their pitching is still nice but that lineup is looking rough.

• 2 weeks later...

M. Scutaro DA'ed today-- Haven't followed him since he left Jays, but if he has anything left i expect AA to try to claim him. SALARY? Don't know!

He has a salary of $6 M and won't be able to resume baseball activities until probably late April/early May due to some serious back issues that warranted surgery last month. He won't get claimed.

• 2 months later...

The two game Montreal series starts tomorrow. It seems like there's a lot less fanfare this time around. On the happy side, the fact that this series is here means real games finally start soon.

Going to the game on Saturday.

I live like 10-15 minutes walk from the Olympic Stadium.

Should the Expos still be around, I'd be there like once a week at least.

Going to the game on Saturday.

How was the game? It sounded like it was quite full (I was listening on the radio).

It's Opening Day in the majors today. So naturally, it's time for the first blockbuster trade of the season? Melvin (don't call me BJ anymore) Upton and Craig Kimbrel are headed to the Padres who look nothing like the Padres of last year. No one saw that coming...

How was the game? It sounded like it was quite full (I was listening on the radio).

It's Opening Day in the majors today. So naturally, it's time for the first blockbuster trade of the season? Melvin (don't call me BJ anymore) Upton and Craig Kimbrel are headed to the Padres who look nothing like the Padres of last year. No one saw that coming...

it was pretty fun.

We were lucky to attend Saturday's game instead of Friday's. 50,000 people in the stands.

The only stinker is that Russel Martin kinda sucked...

• 4 weeks later...

This season could get pretty ugly. Have the Jays already started their death spiral?

Nah, it's too early for that. They're paying the price for rolling the dice on pitching though. They have to hope that the veterans pick it up soon and that the bullpen will settle down soon enough. Hopefully the youngsters that have been sent down now (Norris, Pompey, and Castro) can get some confidence back as they'll be needed back with the big club before long.

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, it's too early for that. They're paying the price for rolling the dice on pitching though. They have to hope that the veterans pick it up soon and that the bullpen will settle down soon enough. Hopefully the youngsters that have been sent down now (Norris, Pompey, and Castro) can get some confidence back as they'll be needed back with the big club before long.

I wouldn't be so sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Oakland called up a switch pitcher today. There's something you don't see every day.

I only recall hearing about one other time and of course can't remember details. I think there are rules in place to stop the circus act of pitching every other pitch from the other side. But I am not even sure if a batter can switch sides during an at bat.

I only recall hearing about one other time and of course can't remember details. I think there are rules in place to stop the circus act of pitching every other pitch from the other side. But I am not even sure if a batter can switch sides during an at bat.

Don't know the rule exactly, but I'm pretty sure that once the batter steps up in the box, he has to hit on that side.

Once the pitcher throws his first pitch for an at bat, he has to throw the entire at bat on this side.

Only if the offensive team use a pinch hitter in the middle of an at bat, the pitcher can switch again.

With that being said, is "at bat" a good translation for "présence au bâton" ???

Don't know the rule exactly, but I'm pretty sure that once the batter steps up in the box, he has to hit on that side.

Once the pitcher throws his first pitch for an at bat, he has to throw the entire at bat on this side.

Only if the offensive team use a pinch hitter in the middle of an at bat, the pitcher can switch again.

With that being said, is "at bat" a good translation for "présence au bâton" ???

That makes sense to me. I am wondering however what kind of glove fits both hands, else a pitcher would need to switch gloves (delay?) every time he changed his pitching side?

The pitcher has to declare which side he'll be throwing from before the batter steps in the box. The batter then picks his side. At that time, neither player can switch sides.

That makes sense to me. I am wondering however what kind of glove fits both hands, else a pitcher would need to switch gloves (delay?) every time he changed his pitching side?

He has a custom-designed glove that fits both hands.

The pitcher has to declare which side he'll be throwing from before the batter steps in the box. The batter then picks his side. At that time, neither player can switch sides.

Well. Thought it was the opposite. It's a lot more work for the pitchers to remember who hits LH or RH. Of course they can get help from the bench for this in between each at bat.

Thanks for clarifying this.

Well. Thought it was the opposite. It's a lot more work for the pitchers to remember who hits LH or RH. Of course they can get help from the bench for this in between each at bat.

DITTO

Most of the time, you'd be able to tell based on what side of the batters box the hitter approaches. It's only the switch hitters where you'd have to get some sort of signal from the bench (and if the team is smart, they've gone over that between innings or when the pitcher comes into the game).

Anyone else feel bad for Houston? They scored eight runs in 1/3 of an inning yesterday and that wasn't even the best 1/3 of an inning on the night with the Jays scoring nine runs before recording an out. I suspect it has been a while since scoring eight in 1/3 of an inning wasn't the best offensive outburst on that day.