2015/16 General IceCaps/Beast Discussion Thread

dlbalr

St. johns add Luke Pither on a PTO-center- per AHL website/

He has been with Brampton for most of this season. He's a former Barrie Colt so I've seen him a few times. He's a top six type of player, not great in his own end and doesn't play much of a physical game.

Brampton traded Mathew Maione to Wheeling for future considerations. Sounds like he asked to be traded by the press release

Mr dlbalr, what is up with #10? He was basically rookie of year and is looking like same player once again, with recent player of Week also.

So is it that he is younger and no where near needing waivers and Carr-Holloway-Andrighetto-Thomas are all older and that is why they get call up and he has not?

Mr dlbalr, what is up with #10? He was basically rookie of year and is looking like same player once again, with recent player of Week also.

So is it that he is younger and no where near needing waivers and Carr-Holloway-Andrighetto-Thomas are all older and that is why they get call up and he has not?

With the exception of Carr, all of the recalls have been RW's and that's not Hudon's position so until Carr's recall, player positions would have been the reason.

Why did Carr get the nod over Hudon? It's not a waiver thing; even though Carr's ELC will be up this year, he does have waiver exemption through next season (or until 60 games). Considering they're not playing Carr, maybe they just want to get a look at him in practice for a few days and they felt it was better to keep Hudon, who has been their best player the last few weeks, where he was? I'm not sure really.

Haha, McCarron...hmmm? I saw he took a glove to face and just skated away as a good sign and obviously cant ignore his production as a rookie; but, for sure am quite surprised he is doing as well as he is. :thumbs_up:

Well if he wasn't doing as well as he is, there are a couple on here who would have him tarred and feathered.

Haha, if McCarron has a bad season at 26 after multiple 20 goal seasons with Montreal Commandant will be ready to say how he never believed in him ;)

Haha, if McCarron has a bad season at 26 after multiple 20 goal seasons with Montreal Commandant will be ready to say how he never believed in him ;)

The stats he was throwing out for McCarron made a lot of sense. I still think he had some serious issues adjusting to the personal part of living away from home in a foreign country. These kids are teenagers. The stat, if I remember, was not being a CHL PPG player in the draft plus one year. I agreed whole-heartedly. In hindsight, I wonder if there was any comparable player that moved to the CHL in the +1 year?

The stats he was throwing out for McCarron made a lot of sense. I still think he had some serious issues adjusting to the personal part of living away from home in a foreign country. These kids are teenagers. The stat, if I remember, was not being a CHL PPG player in the draft plus one year. I agreed whole-heartedly. In hindsight, I wonder if there was any comparable player that moved to the CHL in the +1 year?

It did make sense. Commandant isn't dumb. The problem though is that when you're trying to project youngsters, you can't always make career projections based on previous prospects. All players develop differently, develop in different places and then are developed differently through pro scouting. It may feel like you can when you are looking at a lot of common trends, but when guys like Brendan Gallagher in the fifth round exist, when goaltenders are still completely unpredictable to draft and project, when there are Jiri Sekac's that completely bombed in junior and still found his way into the NHL, you just can't make concrete decisions on a players development into the NHL because they had a bad junior year. To me, McCarron's bad junior year was no different to Tomas Plekanec's 08-09. It was the aberration of his career. That first year for McCarron in London was his aberration. So far, his AHL success proves that.

I cheerlead a lot for Mike McCarron and I honestly don't like him as much as I defend him, but I wouldn't defend him if I didn't think there was something there to defend. I defended Tinordi as an acceptable prospect because I thought his defensive skills were on the upswing. This season has shown the opposite. I get on Commandant's case about McCarron because he's pretty good at draft evaluations and his negative reaction to McCarron was so over the top. He also to this day always wakes up to talk about him when things are going bad for McCarron instead of evaluating him as a whole, which is due to his own bias on McCarron being drafted by the Habs and drafted first round. I wouldn't nearly defend McCarron so much if it wasn't for people making up BS about Bergevin forcing the selection on Trevor Timmins or people deciding an 18 year old has already busted because he had a lame OHL year. I think that kind of thinking is so dumb and it disappoints me when I read it.

I admit he's surprised me this year.

I still take offense to the idea that I judged him based on one bad OHL year, and that his draft + 1 season is the aberation though. I didn't base that on one year. His year with the U17 US Team team didn't show offense. His year on the U18 US Team didn't show offence. His first year in London didn't show offence. That was not 1 year, but 3 straight years without offence.

I was expecting Holloway to get more than just one game in NHL and at least get playing time with some offensive players and not 4th liners. Caps has now 3 players in top 10 AHL, there is for sure more talent involved this year.

Edited by Habs_Forever

Wondering who watched the Utica game? The scoresheet lists us with 8 centers. Can somebody tell me who did play center for the Ice last night? Wonder if Bournival gets start this weekend? Tinordi has to return by Wednesday?

Guest Stogey24

I admit he's surprised me this year.

I still take offense to the idea that I judged him based on one bad OHL year, and that his draft + 1 season is the aberation though. I didn't base that on one year. His year with the U17 US Team team didn't show offense. His year on the U18 US Team didn't show offence. His first year in London didn't show offence. That was not 1 year, but 3 straight years without offence.

fack it. Past is the past. We all (including you) want McCarron to turn into that big center we've been missing for so long.

It did make sense. Commandant isn't dumb. The problem though is that when you're trying to project youngsters, you can't always make career projections based on previous prospects. All players develop differently, develop in different places and then are developed differently through pro scouting. It may feel like you can when you are looking at a lot of common trends, but when guys like Brendan Gallagher in the fifth round exist, when goaltenders are still completely unpredictable to draft and project, when there are Jiri Sekac's that completely bombed in junior and still found his way into the NHL, you just can't make concrete decisions on a players development into the NHL because they had a bad junior year. To me, McCarron's bad junior year was no different to Tomas Plekanec's 08-09. It was the aberration of his career. That first year for McCarron in London was his aberration. So far, his AHL success proves that.

I cheerlead a lot for Mike McCarron and I honestly don't like him as much as I defend him, but I wouldn't defend him if I didn't think there was something there to defend. I defended Tinordi as an acceptable prospect because I thought his defensive skills were on the upswing. This season has shown the opposite. I get on Commandant's case about McCarron because he's pretty good at draft evaluations and his negative reaction to McCarron was so over the top. He also to this day always wakes up to talk about him when things are going bad for McCarron instead of evaluating him as a whole, which is due to his own bias on McCarron being drafted by the Habs and drafted first round. I wouldn't nearly defend McCarron so much if it wasn't for people making up BS about Bergevin forcing the selection on Trevor Timmins or people deciding an 18 year old has already busted because he had a lame OHL year. I think that kind of thinking is so dumb and it disappoints me when I read it.

To me, it was too easy to see how the series played out vs Ottawa and then see a refrigerator walking to the draft podium and cobble together a fifty cent narrative.

I think he was a reach, like I think Sherbak was a reach as a high skill, but soft guy. Then Juulsen (sp?) was a safe pick, a guy under the radar and might be the best of all three.

Imo, the perception of MOAR BIGGER (and nobody talks about how much better the Habs are without half the shrimps in the league, funny) made people more negative on McCarron than they would be with other prospects.

Wondering who watched the Utica game? The scoresheet lists us with 8 centers. Can somebody tell me who did play center for the Ice last night? Wonder if Bournival gets start this weekend? Tinordi has to return by Wednesday?

The centres were McCarron, Dumont, and MacMillan. Miceli was technically the 4th line C but with there only being 11 forwards, there were times where one of those three C's dropped down (and others where Miceli centered the line). The first post in the GDT has last night's lines.

Bad news on the Scherbak front - he's apparently out for another 6-8 weeks at a minimum.

Guest Stogey24

I have serious doubts with Scherbak.I guess he's still really young, and that hit would take anyone, but the guy seems fragile.

Saw a pic of him with his shirt off, zero muscle. No homo