30 Thoughts: Canadiens More than a One Man Team

Commandant

Stepan scored the OT winner against the Caps in game 7 last year.

I agree that people don't give enough credit to the players we have though. Gallagher will make team Canada and has definitely gone from a 5th round draft pick who exceeded expectations because of his hussle and work ethic to a bonafide 1st liner. Subban is a game breaker defense or not. We have the captain of the Czech Republic as well as one of team USA's best players.

I don't necessarily agree that Eller is a game breaker but even though he did score that game 7 winner, I'd argue that if Stepan, Brassard, Kessler (even St. Louis last year) and the triplets are game breakers in the playoffs, then Dale Weise is as well. Alright, I take that back. But he does know how to score some big goals. :lol:

All that being said, I welcome more offensive power for the playoffs.

Nothing new here. Yes, its been glaringly obvious that we have had no scoring down the middle in the play offs in years. To win a Cup we need a center that is putting the puck in the net. Big goals in big games. Obtain that, (or get it from within) along with what the Habs have on the wing and back end. Now your talking.

Nothing new here. Yes, its been glaringly obvious that we have had no scoring down the middle in the play offs in years. To win a Cup we need a center that is putting the puck in the net. Big goals in big games. Obtain that, (or get it from within) along with what the Habs have on the wing and back end. Now your talking.

That C has to be Galchenyuk. And that 'missing game-breaker' has to be be Galchenyuk. He's a third-overall pick fer chrissakes. And we don't have to sacrifice major assets to acquire him.

Which doesn't mean we shouldn't also be on the prowl for a winger. We should be. But I don't think it has to be a star, just a guy who can reliably produce. Hudler, Vrbata, Iginla, are all plausible candidates. Even a Michael Ryder-type would do.

That C has to be Galchenyuk. And that 'missing game-breaker' has to be be Galchenyuk. He's a third-overall pick fer chrissakes. And we don't have to sacrifice major assets to acquire him.

Which doesn't mean we shouldn't also be on the prowl for a winger. We should be. But I don't think it has to be a star, just a guy who can reliably produce. Hudler, Vrbata, Iginla, are all plausible candidates. Even a Michael Ryder-type would do.

Agree one hundred per cent

Habs are not a one man team, but the sooner they get their leader back between the pipes the better. Condon played great no doubt but the entire team plays better if front of Carey. Markov and Subban especially. Often wonder how the team would look on the back end with Subban and Markov split up.

Gallagher is a game breaker. Galchenyuk had one bad playoff but in 13-14 he was huge returning for us. Stepan and Brassard as gamebreakers is pushing it. If those two are gamebreakers, Eller is a gamebreaker.

Stepan 55 points in only 68 games last year

Brassard 60 points on the year.

Eller is lucky to score half as many.

Stepan 55 points in only 68 games last year

Brassard 60 points on the year.

Eller is lucky to score half as many.

Eller third line defesive center/winger for habs last year. Stepan first line center for Rangers. Why compare stats.

Game breaker in play offs. Eller had that great play off in 014. Stehan last spring. Both have game 7 winners.

Chucky will have the guy the habs are looking for in the play offs to step up.

However we could use someone with the scoring touch Brassard and Stepan have displayed in the spring.. The last three play offs they have combined for 31 goals including 7 game winners. Not to shabby.

Yes, Eller is a third line player.... he's not a game breaker...... thats the point, and thats why stats are compared.

Getting hot for a few weeks in 2014 does not a game breaker make.... he had one playoffs where one of his hot streaks happened to occur in April/May when his on-ice shooting percentage was double his career average. His 2015 playoffs were not good. Its not something he can repeat at will. He's an inconsistent guy, and its random chance when he will get hot.

Stepan and Brassard have proven to be 55+ players

Dale Weise, Lars Eller, etc.... havent and likely never will. Thats why they are secondary options and not the type of guy who gives us a second line alternative to Max.

Hopefully Chucky gets there, but he isn't there yet, and his line needs a boost too.

It is a bit frustrating that guys taken in subsequent years like Monahan and draisetl are progressing faster than him.

Galchenyuk on pace for 50pts, which is OK as the 3rd line centre. I do like he is 53% on faceoffs, which is a surprise.

Galchenyuk on pace for 50pts, which is OK as the 3rd line centre. I do like he is 53% on faceoffs, which is a surprise.

50 pts is OK for a 3rd line centre ?!? U smoking crack dude ? No team in this league has a 50 pts 3rd C... it's not 1992 anymore...

The German has only played 45gms 21pts...what did Galchenyuk have in his rookie year?

Monahan is playing 20+minutes (and still only has 2 more points than Galchenyuk), he would not be playing 20+ on a strong team like Habs.

So NO the grass aint always greener, although may appear that way sometimes. Galchenyuk is doing fine (no not "great" or as hoped by many I agree)

Galchenyuk is playing 3rd centre minutes is just a fact, what does your favourite habit have to do with anything Joe? :bonk:

The German shouldn't have been here last year. He's got around 13 points in 8 games this year. Galchenyuk had 18 in year 2.

Monahan was a 30 goal scorer and would easily supplant Galchenyuk or DD - possibly even pleks.

I'd take a 21 year old monahon over pleks or dd without even blinking.

The German has only played 45gms 21pts...what did Galchenyuk have in his rookie year?

Monahan is playing 20+minutes (and still only has 2 more points than Galchenyuk), he would not be playing 20+ on a strong team like Habs.

So NO the grass aint always greener, although may appear that way sometimes. Galchenyuk is doing fine (no not "great" or as hoped by many I agree)

Galchenyuk is playing 3rd centre minutes is just a fact, what does your favourite habit have to do with anything Joe? :bonk:

Generally, looking at playoff performance for anyone who has played less than 100 playoff games in their career is pointless. The sample size is nearly already too small to say "he's a great playoff performer" or "he doesn't produce in the playoffs." The simple fact is even the most consistent players are streaky. Gretzky at his best could go cold in the playoffs, and a turd like Bourque can be a star over two rounds. It's once a career is nearly done you can look and say, "holy shit, Danny Briere was a game breaker in the playoffs," and do it with some certainty because he's got so many examples to give you. For the most part, the regular season statistics are a better indicator of a player's value in the playoffs than playoff statistics are.

Chucky getting used to playing center again. Don't like it when he moves to the wing on the pp though. Let the kid play center in ALL situations.

I would agree with you in a principle, but Chucky's shot makes him a dangerous threat on his off-wing coming off the boards, and I think that's why DD takes the draws in those situations.

Generally, looking at playoff performance for anyone who has played less than 100 playoff games in their career is pointless. The sample size is nearly already too small to say "he's a great playoff performer" or "he doesn't produce in the playoffs." The simple fact is even the most consistent players are streaky. Gretzky at his best could go cold in the playoffs, and a turd like Bourque can be a star over two rounds. It's once a career is nearly done you can look and say, "holy shit, Danny Briere was a game breaker in the playoffs," and do it with some certainty because he's got so many examples to give you. For the most part, the regular season statistics are a better indicator of a player's value in the playoffs than playoff statistics are.

Unless they have great play off stats. ha!

Unless they have great play off stats. ha!

No - unless they have a lot of playoff stats.

At this point, it's probably safe to say that Tomas Plekanec is almost a 0.6 point per game player in the playoffs...he has played a total of 81 playoff games (which is still a little low for really knowing what kind of player he's been), and has 46 points. That's not that much different than his regular season numbers (where he's almost a 0.7 ppg player), and a difference of 0.1 point per game over 81 games is well under the amount a single hot or cold streak can give you. Plekanec is giving us the same performance in the playoffs as he does in the regular season. He's consistent.

But you cannot argue that Desharnais is crap in the playoffs. He hasn't had enough games played to tell you that -- only 38 games (in which he has a paltry 13 points.) The thing is, Desharnais has gone 38 games in a regular season with fewer points than that...and still finished that season with over 50 points. He's streaky. We don't know he's not a playoff performer. We only know he hasn't yet gone on one of his hot streaks in the playoffs. Give him another few playoff runs and that can change.