GDT - The Devil is Back, Saturday Night in Montreal

Commandant

After a 3-2 shootout win on Friday night, the Habs face the Devils again on Saturday in Montreal.

Mike Condon, Alex Galchenyuk and Sven Andrighetto all played huge roles in the win. Amazingly the youngest of the three is the veteran of the group.

Expected lineups

Cammalleri-Henrique-Stempniak
Kalinin-Zajac-Palmieri
Elias-Josefson-Kennedy
Farnham-Gionta-Tootoo

Greene-Larsson
Moore-Severson
Gelinas-Merrill

Schneider
Kinkaid

vs

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Smith Pelly

Fleischmann- Desharnais - Weise

Eller - Galchenyuk - Andrighetto

Byron - Flynn - Thomas

Subban - Markov

Beaulieu - Petry

Gilbert - Pateryn

Condon

Tokarski

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if it were up to me I'd give Tokarski this game. He's been up for much of this season and has only got mop up duty in a game. Since we're coming off a win in which Condon played well it shouldn't mess with his head. It won't be seen as replacement for poor play. Plus we've see that he got tired in his last stint as starter, so some breaks would be beneficial.

I think if it were up to me I'd give Tokarski this game. He's been up for much of this season and has only got mop up duty in a game. Since we're coming off a win in which Condon played well it shouldn't mess with his head. It won't be seen as replacement for poor play. Plus we've see that he got tired in his last stint as starter, so some breaks would be beneficial.

The one concern with Tokarski is that he has played all of one period in the last month. (His last start was October 28th.) He's almost in need of a conditioning stint himself which makes it a risky proposition to try to play him tonight (though I agree they shouldn't wear Condon out like last time). If it were me, I'd sent Tokarski down after this game to play for St. John's tomorrow, just to help get him back in game shape a bit. Then it might be an easier decision to try to put him in sometime next week.

I didn't see much of dsp Holloway or Byron in the third. Hopefully the boys have some more jump tomorrow so they can actually role 4 lines.

I saw Byron, but you are right on the other two. Byron and Ghetto seemed to switch on the line with Eller and Flynn. D-zone faceoffs meant Byron went out, O-zone meant ghetto.

The one concern with Tokarski is that he has played all of one period in the last month. (His last start was October 28th.) He's almost in need of a conditioning stint himself which makes it a risky proposition to try to play him tonight (though I agree they shouldn't wear Condon out like last time). If it were me, I'd sent Tokarski down after this game to play for St. John's tomorrow, just to help get him back in game shape a bit. Then it might be an easier decision to try to put him in sometime next week.

Oh I had just assumed that he got into one of the games last weekend for the IceCaps. Seems a bit odd to not give him some time in the net, but I guess they weren't figuring Price would get injured again. Now looking at the facts I like your idea of sending him down for a game. Guess we'll see what happens when they announce the starter for tonight.

Oh I had just assumed that he got into one of the games last weekend for the IceCaps. Seems a bit odd to not give him some time in the net, but I guess they weren't figuring Price would get injured again. Now looking at the facts I like your idea of sending him down for a game. Guess we'll see what happens when they announce the starter for tonight.

Tokarski wasn't even in uniform for the first of the two games last weekend (maybe he didn't make it there in time, seemed kind of odd at the time) while they opted to give Fucale the second game.

Guest Stogey24

Pelly barely played top line last night. Maybe Holloway can get a chance with Eller and Sven? Keep Chucky with Max

I actually haven't been all that happy with Plekanec lately. I know he's putting up points, which is great. He just hasn't been creating many opportunities out there... He's honestly looked lazy on quite a few plays last night.

If Price is gonna be out for weeks, as is rumoured, then the Habs either need to have faith that Toker can win a few games, or we need to go out and sign a serviceable veteran goalie who can at least be tolerably reliable against weaker teams. Not for a second do I believe we can play Condon with the same pounding regularity with which we play Price.

Pelly barely played top line last night. Maybe Holloway can get a chance with Eller and Sven? Keep Chucky with Max

While having Holloway on a scoring line is probably better for him in terms of being put in a spot where he can succeed (he's not a checker), it'd be risky to put him on his off-wing that quickly. (Unless they went Eller - Andrighetto - Holloway which I don't see happening. Andrighetto's a left shot but is better/more comfortable on the RW.) If they do keep yesterday's lines, Flynn will stay with Eller/Andrighetto as what would clearly be the #3 line while Byron - who has played a bit of C in the past - would centre Holloway/Smith-Pelly.

Guest Stogey24

Well that's why I was saying about calling McCarron up before. He could centre 4th line with Pelly and Byron. Atleast that line can create some havoc.

While having Holloway on a scoring line is probably better for him in terms of being put in a spot where he can succeed (he's not a checker), it'd be risky to put him on his off-wing that quickly. (Unless they went Eller - Andrighetto - Holloway which I don't see happening. Andrighetto's a left shot but is better/more comfortable on the RW.) If they do keep yesterday's lines, Flynn will stay with Eller/Andrighetto as what would clearly be the #3 line while Byron - who has played a bit of C in the past - would centre Holloway/Smith-Pelly.

Well that's why I was saying about calling McCarron up before. He could centre 4th line with Pelly and Byron. Atleast that line can create some havoc.

Is it worth pulling McCarron out of a lineup where he's the #1 centre to play 7-10 minutes on a crash and bang fourth line? He could handle it but I think he's best off playing as many games in a skill/all-around role as possible right now. The option to use McCarron in that 4th line role will still be there down the road as I'm sure there will be more injuries throughout the season.

They've also been pretty clear, they are not putting chuck back on wing permanently. He stays at centre.

He may go to wing on a PP... or for a short time in a game we need a spark, but they want him to stay at centre and develop at centre. He's not going to the Plek line.

Guest Stogey24

They've also been pretty clear, they are not putting chuck back on wing permanently. He stays at centre.

He may go to wing on a PP... or for a short time in a game we need a spark, but they want him to stay at centre and develop at centre. He's not going to the Plek line.

2,3,4 games with Chucky on top line to get a spark isn't going to hurt his development.

Guest Stogey24

Is it worth pulling McCarron out of a lineup where he's the #1 centre to play 7-10 minutes on a crash and bang fourth line? He could handle it but I think he's best off playing as many games in a skill/all-around role as possible right now. The option to use McCarron in that 4th line role will still be there down the road as I'm sure there will be more injuries throughout the season.

At the end of the day, no, probably not worth calling McCarron up.

Guest Stogey24

Gallagher isn't back in 2, 3, 4 games.

Well last night seemed to work out fairly well for Chucky playing with Max, No? Giving a young kid confidence isn't a bad thing.

Well last night seemed to work out fairly well for Chucky playing with Max, No? Giving a young kid confidence isn't a bad thing.

And Therrien confirmed after the game its a change he may make from time to time, but for most of his time Galchenyuk will be a centre.

Which is honestly how it should be...

Guest Stogey24

And Therrien confirmed after the game its a change he may make from time to time, but for most of his time Galchenyuk will be a centre.

Which is honestly how it should be...

Your not wrong. I just think last night was an example of what Chucky can do with talent around him. I want him and Max together.

Your not wrong. I just think last night was an example of what Chucky can do with talent around him. I want him and Max together.

only way that happens is later on this season when Him and Pleks make a direct swap, or next season. I still think the eventual top line in the near future will be Galchenyuk with Max and Gallagher. Plekanec can suit up with Eller and a talented winger, whether that is Andrighetto or an acquisition, and take on the bulk of the defensive matchups while trying to stay productive. Plekanec and Eller instinctively play the defensive side of the game very well, and both on a line would surely give fits to opposing teams top players in matchup situations.