2014 Prospect Rankings

dlbalr

I'll move this to the prospects section later on but with there not being much going on now I'm going to put this thread here for a bit.

September means that it's time for our annual prospect rankings series. Over the coming weeks, I'll be posting the rankings in a 7-part series. Who do you think the top prospects will/should be? Who do you think the big risers and fallers should/will be?

The Rankings:

(Last year's ranking in parentheses)

6) F Jiri Sekac, Lev Praha, KHL (N/A)

7) F Artturi Lehkonen, KalPa, SM-Liiga (+4)

8) F Sven Andrighetto, Hamilton, AHL (+11)

9) F Michael McCarron, London, OHL (-5)

10) F Charles Hudon, Baie-Comeau, QMJHL (-3)

11) F Martin Reway, Gatineau, QMJHL (+15)

12) D Greg Pateryn, Hamilton, AHL (+4)

13) D Magnus Nygren, Farjestad, SHL (+2)

14) F Tim Bozon, Kootenay, WHL (-6)

15) D Mac Bennett, Michigan, NCAA (-1)

16) F Jeremy Gregoire, Baie-Comeau, QMJHL (+13)

17) F Christian Thomas, Hamilton, AHL (-8)

18) D Dalton Thrower, Vancouver, WHL (+2)

19) D Darren Dietz, Hamilton, AHL (-7)

20) F Connor Crisp, Sudbury, OHL (+7)

21) D Brett Lernout, Swift Current, WHL (N/A)

22) F Daniel Carr, Union, NCAA (N/A)

23) F Daniel Audette, Sherbrooke, QMJHL (N/A)

24) D Josiah Didier, Denver, NCAA (22)

25) F Patrick Holland, Hamilton, AHL (18)

26) G Mike Condon, Wheeling, ECHL (32)

27) F Mark MacMillan, North Dakota, NCAA (24)

28) D Nikolas Koberstein, Olds, AJHL (N/A)

29) D Morgan Ellis, Hamilton, AHL (17)

30) F Gabriel Dumont, Hamilton, AHL (21)

31) G Hayden Hawkey, Omaha, USHL (N/A)

32) F Jake Evans, St. Michael's, OJHL (N/A)

33) F Jack Nevins, Rouyn-Noranda, QMJHL (N/A)

34) F Joonas Nattinen, Hamilton, AHL (29)

35) F Stefan Fournier, Hamilton, AHL (30)

36) D Colin Sullivan, Green Bay, USHL (35)

37) F Maxim Trunev, Vladivostok, KHL (38)

Links:

6-10

11-15

16-20

21-25

26-30

31-37

In the near future, I'll be posting the ballot for the fan vote where you'll get to vote on the top-10. We'll then compare those results to those of our writers' top-10.

Risers-Sekac, Andrighetto, De La Rose, Tokarski

Fallers-McCarron, Leblanc, Thomas, Ellis

Tokarski's too old for the rankings while Sekac can't rise since he wasn't on there last year. Leblanc fell a far way though, all the way to Anaheim. :)

• Upvote 1

Why wouldn't Nygren have went to rookie camp? You have to think that hurts his chances of cracking the big squad more than anything?

He's a bit old for rookie camp, really. As much as he has only been in the system for a few years, he's 24 years old. Had he attended, he would have been the second oldest player there (Condon beats him by a couple of months). Once you've played pro for a few years (he has been a pro for 5 years in Sweden), you really don't need to be there - that's why a guy like Pateryn isn't there either.

I'm not sure he could have helped his cause really. Let's say he went and stood out amongst a bunch of 18-20 year olds...he should be doing that, he's 4-6 years older than most players there. That's not really going to boost his status in the organization, at least it shouldn't.

Guest Stogey24

He's a bit old for rookie camp, really. As much as he has only been in the system for a few years, he's 24 years old. Had he attended, he would have been the second oldest player there (Condon beats him by a couple of months). Once you've played pro for a few years (he has been a pro for 5 years in Sweden), you really don't need to be there - that's why a guy like Pateryn isn't there either.

I'm not sure he could have helped his cause really. Let's say he went and stood out amongst a bunch of 18-20 year olds...he should be doing that, he's 4-6 years older than most players there. That's not really going to boost his status in the organization, at least it shouldn't.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I was just thinking he was being arrogant.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't even pretend to be able to rate our prospects, don't have time to watch them, or get to know them very well.

I can say however, that I have seen Beaulieu quite a bit, and that if he rids himself of the brain farts now and then, he is going to be a sensational defenseman in today's NHL, and I can understand why he might be #1 on the Habs list, so long as that list is just prospects, and doesn't include Galchenyuk of course.... :thumbs_up:

All young d-man will have game changing gaffs, but just hope Beaulieu can be more good than bad and his defense improves when given a regular shift.

I guess we are about to find out.

somebody's changed their tune..

I'm not sure if you're referring to me there but this isn't my personal ranking. This is the results from the fan balloting.

Also, from here on out in HW's rankings, it will be the result of our writer balloting and not just my rankings as it was from 11-37. (And believe me, there are some differences between where I ranked players and where they will appear in the official rankings, including Beaulieu.)

Just Scherbak is playing vs teenagers, while the lil Finn is in low scoring mens league again.

But 2PPG is great start and hope he has a huge triple-digit+ year.

While he could stand to put on a few pounds (about 25-30, actually), just keep in mind that the "lil Finn" Lehkonen is an inch taller than Saku Koivu is. I'd love to have another Finn like Saku on the team. He's 19, so give him time to bulk up.