Feb. 23, New York (R) vs Montreal, 7:00 PM

dlbalr

Well, I was at teh Bell Centre last night. I'd like to thank the Habs for offering me a much better show than the last time I was there (agaist the ######ing leafs two week-ends ago).

Great performance by the Eller-Cole-Chucky line, and as usual, Carey Price was rock solid. I have to say, one player who's impressing me more and more is Diaz. You see alot more things when you're at the game vs on TV, and Diaz is doing alot of the little things that the best d-men in the league do. He'Ms a very reliable guy and I'm looking forward to seeing how he progreses over the next few years.

Our boys managed to confirm their spot in first place in the eastern conference, however the true test for the Habs is about to start. 18 of the last 30 games are on the road. It's good that our boys came out to a great start to the season, cause even if they play for a little under .500 over the final 30 games, they still have a good chance of making the playoffs!

Both of Pacioretty's skates left the ice while hitting...

did they? I watched that video many times and it appears that they might have but Patches was turning and Mcd was turning . I don't know if it is conclusive. I certainly know he didn't jump so I think you can make the argument that he was finishing his check on the guy that had the puck and was behind his net. Mcd was in a vulnerable position and Patches did not let up but in that situation I don't think he has to. However I have no doubt he will get 2 games at least. Maybe more, he plays for the Habs. If he gets 2 games it was worth it cause that changed the whole game and we went on to victory. And next time someone may think twice about running our guys. :habslogo:

I am not sure there should have been a penalty. Maybe a charging call. MacDonaugh saw the check coming and put his head down to try and drive through it, patches hit him more on the side than from behind. That is what I see. His feet leave the ground after the hit. he will get 5 games for wearing the wrong jersey though.

Unbelievable!! According to Kypreos, no suspension for MacPac! I thought for sure we were going to get screwed!

I am not sure there should have been a penalty. Maybe a charging call. MacDonaugh saw the check coming and put his head down to try and drive through it, patches hit him more on the side than from behind. That is what I see. His feet leave the ground after the hit. he will get 5 games for wearing the wrong jersey though.

• Upvote 1

Unbelievable!! According to Kypreos, no suspension for MacPac! I thought for sure we were going to get screwed!

At least the league is consistent in its unpredictability...

Like I said, that was a vicious hit - borderline at least - and I actually have no problem in principle with it being rated as suspendable. Unfortunately, the NHL has allowed many more egregious offences to glide by unpunished, so suspending MaxPac ends up being unjust by default.

But I'm not complaining! McDonagh was playing like a complete p**ck and, since the refs declined to do anything about it, needed to be taught a lesson. Message delivered.

• Upvote 1

The league is taking a step back again on hits from behind. It started with Bettman reducing the Torres suspension and has continued with terrible refereeing and Shanahan turning into Campbell.

At least the league is consistent in its unpredictability...

Like I said, that was a vicious hit - borderline at least - and I actually have no problem in principle with it being rated as suspendable. Unfortunately, the NHL has allowed many more egregious offences to glide by unpunished, so suspending MaxPac ends up being unjust by default.

But I'm not complaining! McDonagh was playing like a complete p**ck and, since the refs declined to do anything about it, needed to be taught a lesson. Message delivered.

The league is taking a step back again on hits from behind. It started with Bettman reducing the Torres suspension and has continued with terrible refereeing and Shanahan turning into Campbell.

Agreed. They won't be happy until some young man is lying dead on the ice or else paralyzed for life. As Max very nearly was. I will never forget seeing him lying there and being sure he was dead.

I favour what the Europeans apparently have, i.e., a blanket ban on hits to the head. The brontosauruses who run the league think they're 'old school' and defending hard-hitting play with this ridiculous policy of punishing almost nothing. In fact, I do not believe for one moment that we saw anything like this level of head-shots back in the day when players wore no helmets; if it had been so, there'd have been armies of guys dead or severely brain-damaged. This is, therefore, NOT old-school hockey. It's something else...a monstrous product of a combination of equipment changes, incoherent league discipline, increased game speed and player size, and a complete collapse in basic respect for opponents as human beings. Wake up, NHL, you damned flaming idiots!

Yep, I totally agree. Head shots, whether intentional or not need to be dealt with like a high stick that results in a cut. You need to take the judgement out of the equation since more tiimes than not, the refs get it wrong.

As much as I like Maxpac, it's pretty sad how a guy who almost got killed, has two hits over the last 2 years that could have (in the case of Letang did) result in pretty serious injuries.

Agreed. They won't be happy until some young man is lying dead on the ice or else paralyzed for life. As Max very nearly was. I will never forget seeing him lying there and being sure he was dead.

I favour what the Europeans apparently have, i.e., a blanket ban on hits to the head. The brontosauruses who run the league think they're 'old school' and defending hard-hitting play with this ridiculous policy of punishing almost nothing. In fact, I do not believe for one moment that we saw anything like this level of head-shots back in the day when players wore no helmets; if it had been so, there'd have been armies of guys dead or severely brain-damaged. This is, therefore, NOT old-school hockey. It's something else...a monstrous product of a combination of equipment changes, incoherent league discipline, increased game speed and player size, and a complete collapse in basic respect for opponents as human beings. Wake up, NHL, you damned flaming idiots!

Wow, I am shocked, relieved. and still confused by the make it up as we go approach to the rulings. It would be nice if a line could be drawn in the sand so that these rulings are black and white. I really think intent and not severity of injury should be the decider. A knee to knee attempt like Orr's last game vs Makeme Laughs should be the same discipline contact made or not. If they really wanted to clean the game they could make it happen. I think they are just doing enough not to be liable when someone does get hurt. They don't really want a clean game, they want blood for the fans. They just don't want that blood on their hands. .

I am glad that wasnt a suspension... I watched it again and the hit wasnt that bad. If he hadnt turned, it would not even be boarding. He did catch him from behind after the spin, so a penalty was warranted, but I dont think it was vicious. He hit his head on the glass, vs Patches driving his head into the glass.big difference,

As for the letang hit, I still view that as unintentional so should have been two games. Malone should have been three, he went out of his way to hit Gorges.if you recall, he got zip. Calling Patches a repeat offender is a bit much. It is as bad as calling Chara a clean player.... Lol

I'm glad there was no suspension. If the game was being called fair, Patches wouldn't of hit McDonagh like that. How can you suspend Patches for their own officials forcing someone's hand to police themselves?

I'm all in favor of a blanket rule. Same as I'm in favor of all hits resulting in injuries being looked at. I see nothing wrong with some assurance that no matter the play if an injury occurs it will be looked at. Would make players think twice about taking some liberties. No chance the play might slip through the cracks.

I also believe there should be a 3rd party reviewing all decisions and giving reports at intervals in the season. Keeps Shanny and Co. predictable.

Allegedly, it was because of Marc Bergevin defending Patches that he got off without a suspension.

We got a real wonder of a GM.

Maybe...but it's way too soon to tell. Talk to me in 5 years. But I agree the early returns look darned good.