Will Galchenyuk play the entire season in Montreal? Should he?

Habsfan

I'm in the Gally camp! This kid is a game breaker. He has the skill to win a game with a single goal and an intelligent passer that sees the play develop during a regular shift!

I compare his shot to the last sniper we were blessed to have in critical times on the PP and on our top two lives in the recent past.... that would be #27 himself...

In my humble opinion they don't only share the same first name of Alex! They also share a tremendously accurate shot! And an electifying wrist shot.

NOW! is he NHL ready. This is a question only he will answer to us in the first five games. IF he is a game breaker as I predict within the first five games. At least twice! ( in two of the first five games of this season) Then he will be kept with the club. If his +/- is not up to snuff and does not become a shootout lights out magic man! then he goes down.

If its me making the call as GM for the habs; he goes down to the minors now! I agree with a few of the comments in the thread. Lets not burn the value of one full season with the habs and lets bring a talent like his allong gently. No need to rush a sure shot superstar in the making.

GO HABS GO!

I'm in the Gally camp! This kid is a game breaker. He has the skill to win a game with a single goal and an intelligent passer that sees the play develop during a regular shift!

I compare his shot to the last sniper we were blessed to have in critical times on the PP and on our top two lives in the recent past.... that would be #27 himself...

In my humble opinion they don't only share the same first name of Alex! They also share a tremendously accurate shot! And an electifying wrist shot.

NOW! is he NHL ready. This is a question only he will answer to us in the first five games. IF he is a game breaker as I predict within the first five games. At least twice! ( in two of the first five games of this season) Then he will be kept with the club. If his +/- is not up to snuff and does not become a shootout lights out magic man! then he goes down.

If its me making the call as GM for the habs; he goes down to the minors now! I agree with a few of the comments in the thread. Lets not burn the value of one full season with the habs and lets bring a talent like his allong gently. No need to rush a sure shot superstar in the making.

GO HABS GO!

I don't like this argument. "Hey look! He's going to be great, and he's ready, but we have to save 3-5 million dollars in 2015." Makes no sense whatsoever, especially when we've paid multitudinous amounts of dough to Gomez, Kaberle and Markov for very little production. I understand that we're gunshy, but he's clearly not Guillhomo Fatendresse or Pacioretty. He's a potential # 1 pick and franchise player, and you don't keep a Ferrari in the garage. Send him down, for what?. So he can rip it up against teens and overages in the CHL? His development is done until he comes to the NHL and if he has character flaws and can't handle the Big Show, we need to know this asap.

I don't like this argument. "Hey look! He's going to be great, and he's ready, but we have to save 3-5 million dollars in 2015." Makes no sense whatsoever, especially when we've paid multitudinous amounts of dough to Gomez, Kaberle and Markov for very little production. I understand that we're gunshy, but he's clearly not Guillhomo Fatendresse or Pacioretty. He's a potential # 1 pick and franchise player, and you don't keep a Ferrari in the garage. Send him down, for what?. So he can rip it up against teens and overages in the CHL? His development is done until he comes to the NHL and if he has character flaws and can't handle the Big Show, we need to know this asap.

kinda agree

i would see how he handles 3rd line winger role with some PP time for the 5 games

but i think the staff has a good idea on what to expect from him and Dudley and Bergevin supposedly are a couple of the best at pro-prospect assessment/development stuff, so i have confidence they will do the "right thing".

kinda agree

i would see how he handles 3rd line winger role with some PP time for the 5 games

but i think the staff has a good idea on what to expect from him and Dudley and Bergevin supposedly are a couple of the best at pro-prospect assessment/development stuff, so i have confidence they will do the "right thing".

At the moment, he's playing with Gionta and Plex, not 3rd line. It could change obviously, but isn't he more suited for top line duties anyway?

the ONLY thing that scares me a bit with playing Galchenyuk with Plekanec, it's that Plex usually faces top lines.

Is Gally ready for this ??? Dunno...

the ONLY thing that scares me a bit with playing Galchenyuk with Plekanec, it's that Plex usually faces top lines.

Is Gally ready for this ??? Dunno...

Plex did heavy defensive work with Cammalleri and Kostitsyn on his wings... not exactly the best defensive forwards.

Gionta is so far ahead of either of those two defensively, that I have little worry about the fact that those two will have to carry the load defensively on the line.

Even if Gally is not as good as Cammalleri was at LW.

Gionta is so much better defensively than Kostitsyn at RW that it will be a wash.

Plex did heavy defensive work with Cammalleri and Kostitsyn on his wings... not exactly the best defensive forwards.

Gionta is so far ahead of either of those two defensively, that I have little worry about the fact that those two will have to carry the load defensively on the line.

Even if Gally is not as good as Cammalleri was at LW.

Gionta is so much better defensively than Kostitsyn at RW that it will be a wash.

I get that, but what I fear is that they don't put up points on the board for an extended period of time because of defensive missions.

How the media and the fans would react... (maybe a bit over anticipating though)

For example : from Feb 16th to Feb 25th, Habs (and most likely Plekanec's line) will face Giroux's line, Staal's line, Nash/Richards/Gabo's line, Tavares line, again Nash/Richards and then Spezza's line. If they go awol from the scoresheet for X of theses games, I wonder how it will be reflected in the media and the crazy Montreal market.

I totally know that i'm stretching it a lot and I'm confident that this will not be an issue, but if ever....

At the moment, he's playing with Gionta and Plex, not 3rd line. It could change obviously, but isn't he more suited for top line duties anyway?

Of course down the road he is top 6, but as a rookie right from game 1, dont think so?

i think on Eller's wing he be more sheltered, will face weaker competition and still get 13-14 minutes icetime and Eller also deserves better than plumbers to be able to add a bit of scoring; plus, Bourque is suitable for Tomas's line.

I want to see this kid in the lineup for the whole season. Why does anybody care if it would burn up a year on his entry level contract? We haven't had a forward prospect like him in my lifetime and people want to wait, just to save money that isn't theirs? Worry about the next contract when it comes, PLAY THE KID!! We deserve something to be excited about after the debacle that was last season.

I don't want him up unless he can really be successful in a top 6 role. Too many prospects have been set back by being rushed. As we have not seen him play against even top Ahl talent, we have no basis to know if he can be effective in the NHL. If he impresses in camp, give him five games, but unless he is brilliant offensively and solid defensively, send him back.

Its simple, I think. You give him the 5 game audition on line with Pleks and Gionta. If it clicks, you keep him, if not, back to sarnia. This is a top line kid, wallowing on 4th line will not help. I can't wait to see how he plays with those 2.

I don't want him up unless he can really be successful in a top 6 role. Too many prospects have been set back by being rushed. As we have not seen him play against even top Ahl talent, we have no basis to know if he can be effective in the NHL. If he impresses in camp, give him five games, but unless he is brilliant offensively and solid defensively, send him back.

In looking at a comparable rookie who was sucessful right out of junior/draft, i picked Jeff Skinner and looked at his icetime

Skinner was 7th overall in ES icetime amoung forwards +3 PP min/game, so mostly 3rd line winger role and still racked up almost 30 goals.

So i see no harm what so ever, having AG line up 3rd line with Eller, who is likely a 2nd line centre down the road and did very well in Finland as the #1 centre, he just needs a good winger or 2 (why Eller got less icetime than Moan last year is beyond me?).

In looking at a comparable rookie who was sucessful right out of junior/draft, i picked Jeff Skinner and looked at his icetime

Skinner was 7th overall in ES icetime amoung forwards +3 PP min/game, so mostly 3rd line winger role and still racked up almost 30 goals.

So i see no harm what so ever, having AG line up 3rd line with Eller, who is likely a 2nd line centre down the road and did very well in Finland as the #1 centre, he just needs a good winger or 2 (why Eller got less icetime than Moan last year is beyond me?).

I didn't say it was impossible for him to develop in the NHL, even if he struggles and plays on a third line. I am saying the odds are not good for him so why risk it? Again, it depends on how he looks in real nhl games, which nobody has seen yet.

I didn't say it was impossible for him to develop in the NHL, even if he struggles and plays on a third line. I am saying the odds are not good for him so why risk it? Again, it depends on how he looks in real nhl games, which nobody has seen yet.

which is why i think 3rd line would be a safer spot, lowered expectations, but still 12+minutes +PP time (him instead of Darche or Moan is a better option than last year) is enough icetime to develop for sure.

and if he only gets, say; 7 goals-20points that is fine and still more production than we can expect from a Prust-Moan or Armstrong.

which is why i think 3rd line would be a safer spot, lowered expectations, but still 12+minutes +PP time (him instead of Darche or Moan is a better option than last year) is enough icetime to develop for sure.

and if he only gets, say; 7 goals-20points that is fine and still more production than we can expect from a Prust-Moan or Armstrong.

Problem is that Montreal is completely absent of a second line left winger. Therrien seems to be playing Bourque on the RW so that leaves you probably Prust.

Problem is that Montreal is completely absent of a second line left winger. Therrien seems to be playing Bourque on the RW so that leaves you probably Prust.

I can easily see him or Moen on the second line in 3rd period (late game in particular) defensive situations somewhat regularly.

I can easily see him or Moen on the second line in 3rd period (late game in particular) defensive situations somewhat regularly.

True, only makes sense since Moen is a big penalty killer. But Moen was talking up his chemistry with Lars Eller and I think Moen - Eller - Bourque is just as set for Saturday as Pacioretty - DD - Cole.

Patches - DD - Cole

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gionta

Moen - Eller - Bourque

White/Prust - Prust/White - Armstrong

Is probably the best we can do barring a trade.

The ONLY question here should be what is best for Galy's development. Not cap implications, not pleasing the fans after a lockout, not helping a mediocre team go from 10th to 9th place.

It's another case, like PK's contract, where the Habs have to keep their eye ruthlessly trained on the question of what will make us contenders going forward, rather than get distracted by irrelevant crap.

So where does that leave us? Prima facie, Galy will benefit more from a full season in junior (after all, he missed a whole year) and a bit of AHL seasoning after that, than he will from being thrown prematurely into the NHL. I say 'prima facie' because that is the scenario that would apply to 99% of players in his situation.

The wild-card is the possibility that he might truly be that rarest of gems, a genuinely 'special talent' who well and truly does not need the kind of seasoning that any normal player would require. I'm not sure I see this myself - he got points but didn't seem to do much that was particularly exceptional in the WJC - but I haven't seen his camp and I'm no expert at assessing young talent. Maybe he is that extraordinary player who can skip two whole seasons of junior and excel in the NHL. I do think it's a long shot, though, and if there is any doubt that he is ready, he should be sent down.