Habs at the Worlds

dlbalr

How often have people hurt themselves in the World Championships and the Olympics?

I don't know. Do you ?

This is not about a trend or statistics, Trent McLeary's accident could happen anywhere.

Last season, Mike Brown was playing for the USA... Cal Clutterbuck for Canada... These guys can injure somebody at any moment.

Its surprising to me that Ryan Smyth isn't on the roster, or is he? That guy never gives up the chance to go play for the Maple Leaf...

I can see if it were the All-Star game, but International hockey has been around long before the NHL and the IIHF WHC has been around for just as long so its not "useless"..It has its place and it would be classless on the team's side to not let our guys go and represent their country..

Edited by Blonde Demon
  • Upvote 1

I can see if it were the All-Star game, but International hockey has been around long before the NHL and the IIHF WHC has been around for just as long so its not "useless"..It has its place and it would be classless on the team's side to not let our guys go and represent their country..

This is where I disagree.

Its surprising to me that Ryan Smyth isn't on the roster, or is he? That guy never gives up the chance to go play for the Maple Leaf...

They aren't really taking older players and he had a really cold year after his hot start (to bad for my fantasy team)

If there's one thing I like about international competitions is it gets stupid Canadians to actually be able to cheer for "Team Canada" instead of the, "I want a Canadian team to win the Cup" mentality as if the NHL is a two country competition.

Are you saying you wouldn't want a Edmonton, Calgary or Winnipeg to win over say San Jose, LA or Carolina?

I mean as a Habs fan I wouldn't want Toronto to win and I'm not a fan of the way Vancouver (and Boston) dove left and right in the final last year so I wouldn't want them to win (I'd rather the Habs be the last Canadian team to win then Vancouver winning).

But, I'd much rather see a Canadian team win then some southern team. Cities like Edmonton, Calgary, Montreal or Winnipeg (even Vancouver, I never thought so but now that I live here they have a great fan base) really live off their hockey teams. That can't be said for most American cities who are more interested in Basketball, Baseball or the NFL. Even cities like NY or Boston would rather see the Yankees, Knicks, Red Soxs or Celtics win instead of the Bruins or Rangers... or Islanders... but they won't be any time soon. (not sure about Bills, Jets or Giants fan bases compared to NHL, I don't really follow football).

Thats why I'd rather see a Canadian city win. It means more to the city.

Are you saying you wouldn't want a Edmonton, Calgary or Winnipeg to win over say San Jose, LA or Carolina?

I want Montreal to win the Cup. After that, I want the best team to win the Stanley Cup with the least amount of controversy. It doesn't matter what city it is in to me.

I want Montreal to win the Cup. After that, I want the best team to win the Stanley Cup with the least amount of controversy. It doesn't matter what city it is in to me.

Respect that, but don't say Canadians are "stupid" because we enjoy hockey and root for the Canadian represented teams to win, either..

Respect that, but don't say Canadians are "stupid" because we enjoy hockey and root for the Canadian represented teams to win, either..

Exactly, course this could turn into a huge debate on nationalism and pride in ones nation and open a whole new kettle of fish... but lets avoid that :D!

Root for who you want, but don't try to turn the Stanley Cup into the Olympics. That's basically my point. People acting like it's a tragedy that six teams out of 30 haven't won the Cup since 1993 is ridiculous to me. Especially since four of those six teams made the Stanley Cup finals in the past decade.

If you'd like a more polite term to stupid, I'll use, "misguided patriotism"

Root for who you want, but don't try to turn the Stanley Cup into the Olympics. That's basically my point. People acting like it's a tragedy that six teams out of 30 haven't won the Cup since 1993 is ridiculous to me. Especially since four of those six teams made the Stanley Cup finals in the past decade.

If you'd like a more polite term to stupid, I'll use, "misguided patriotism"

I think your point works better when you point out that many American teams have more Canadian players than the Canadian teams people cheer for.

• Upvote 1

I think your point works better when you point out that many American teams have more Canadian players than the Canadian teams people cheer for.

The most laughable thing happens at the Boston Garden when the crowd shoots USA USA USA during a Nathan Horton - PK Subban fight...

I cheer against Canadian teams because for the most part I know fans of those teams and do not like to see my friends or acquaintances happy.

Misery needs company.

Exactly! if the Habs are out of it, then I cheer for teams that I know zero fans of - go Nashville!!!

Exactly! if the Habs are out of it, then I cheer for teams that I know zero fans of - go Nashville!!!

I'm going for Nashville, they are a good little hockey town and they have Gill, the Kostitsyns and Bouillion.

I went to a game in Nashville - the city LOVES the Preds. They are a success story and I hope their fans are rewarded(that and I don't personally know any of their fans ;) )

I'm going for Nashville, they are a good little hockey town and they have Gill, the Kostitsyns and Bouillion.

A Gill-Bouillion pairing would be amazing hahaha, I love the contrast.

After watching the goonery this year in the playoffs, I am really hoping a skill team can win. I am cheering for Detroit in a big way. I am so sick of this trend. It is really disturbing to see the direction the league is headed. Boston and Philly are leading the charge just like they did in the 70s. Goonery is trendy. If you can take someone out of the game you win. If you go after the guy because the league and refs did nothing, you are suspended. Very gross. The toughness is so misplaced now. The new object is to use cheapshots to gain your advantage.

After watching the goonery this year in the playoffs, I am really hoping a skill team can win. I am cheering for Detroit in a big way. I am so sick of this trend. It is really disturbing to see the direction the league is headed. Boston and Philly are leading the charge just like they did in the 70s. Goonery is trendy. If you can take someone out of the game you win. If you go after the guy because the league and refs did nothing, you are suspended. Very gross. The toughness is so misplaced now. The new object is to use cheapshots to gain your advantage.

we can thank the bruins, colin campbell and bettman for that.

Look at the Canucks...their star player gets his head targeted in a deliberate, premeditated and absolutely brutal on-ice assault; the culprit gets 5 measly games; the Canucks have to play without their star for the entire remainder of the year and playoff. That is the model the NHL positively wants. It's a total disgrace and - now that Shanahan has proven to be a total failure after a promising start - it will only stop when someone is permanently disabled or killed. Get ready, because it will happen, sooner or later.