Gill dealt to Predators

DOn't know anyting about Slaney - if he is a good of a prospect as Fransen was supposed to be, i see the upside.

I'll put it this way, he was there solely for matching contracts. Taking him on was likely the punishment required to get Geoffrion. He'll go unqualified.

Given this value we should trade every guy we can.

Trade Moen, Campoli, Weber, Kostitsyn, Darche.

Hell let it be known that we have a 2 time Stanley Cup champion and former Calder winning centre available for cheap.

Hmm, who could you possibly be referring to??? SOunds like great marketing, but I think we can convince an eskimo to buy snow, before we get another NHL GM to buy ALaskan Seal blubber you're referring to. :P

Hoping we can dump Kostitsyn for a 1st or young roster player and Moen for a 2nd.

I think we could probably get a 1st for MOen - altough one of the potential targets -the Sharsk are now out of the market. I still hope that the habs resign AK46. I KNOW we will regret that move.

Wow, what a great trade for the Habs! Boom Boom Jr looks like he will fit in nicely after reading his scouting report. And a second round pick in a deep draft could turn out just wonderful. I think I'm more excited that Gill is gone more than anything though. Next up on my wish list: Darche

The 2nd was the general consensus we all had. Geoffrion is 24 though. Hasn't done much yet. He's youngish, but the league is full of 24 year olds. I've got Gary Carter on my mind anyway. Big part of my childhood.

I feel like the D market is hotter than the forward market, but the only thing to base that on is the Moore trade. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Given this, though, I would think PG is capable of convincing someone Campoli can be of use. He could reasonably fetch a 3rd, or a 2nd if things get crazy. (I'm looking at you, Stan Bowman.)

Two things stick out here.

1) it has become clear as day that the Habs are sellers.

2) the buyers are paying through their noses for roster upgrades

If Gaultier is shrewd, he continues being an agressive trade partner prior to the actual deadline. I think that given the high rate of return on yesterday's and today's trades, teams that are on the bubble might be more willing to become sellers cause of this; sub sequentially pushing values down as we approach Feb. 27th.

Figure that Montreal still has two fairly attractive assets, (Moen & Kostitsyn) that will most definitely help us accumulate the draft picks and prospects needed to replenish our stock.

I wouldn't label us as sellers yet. The fact is Gill had no future with us past this season and even if, by the slim chance, we do make the playoffs, we're not going deep enough to warrant needing Gill. I think Gill was going to be traded by deadline unless we were in the top 4 spots in our conference. We have a nice pool of unmatured defensemen. Kostitsyn is in a Cammy situation now where he's gone, the only questions are to where and for how much. Moen I would hold on until deadline day just in case.

We currently own

Our 1st,

Our 2nd

Pred 2nd

Our 3rd

Our 4th

Our 6th

Where did you get draft pick info? I been looking for it for awhile.

Gill was a great penalty killer and a great mentor for Gorges and Subban. You thought Nashville was a defensive juggarnaut last playoff? Here's hoping that Geoffrion plays with cole and learns to be a power forward. Just as Gorges played with Gill and perfected the shutdown role. I don't see it though. Don't expect a bunch from baby boom boom. Basically this trade was Gill for a 2nd with a bunch of other guys around.

He won't be with the Habs, he'll be in Hamilton tomorrow. As for why not to play him, may as well preserve his waiver exemption, he's close to the GP threshold.

Isn't his entry level deal expiring this season? Doesn't that do away with his waiver exemption anyway?

I wouldn't label us as sellers yet. The fact is Gill had no future with us past this season and even if, by the slim chance, we do make the playoffs, we're not going deep enough to warrant needing Gill. I think Gill was going to be traded by deadline unless we were in the top 4 spots in our conference. We have a nice pool of unmatured defensemen. Kostitsyn is in a Cammy situation now where he's gone, the only questions are to where and for how much. Moen I would hold on until deadline day just in case.

Where did you get draft pick info? I been looking for it for awhile.

http://habsprospects.hockeyhq.net/ has all Hab draft pick and prospect info

Great move for the Habs. They get younger, cheaper, and tougher. Plus, they get a 2nd round pick. Even if Geoffrion is a third liner and Slanley is a career AHLer, this is a great return for a pending UFA.

Well done PG!

Oh, and this clearly signals the beginning of the selling season for the Habs. Campoli, Kostitsyn, Moen...who knows who will move next?!

I'd disagree with that. Dumping Gill definitely makes the Habs defense weaker, thus making it more difficult to go on a miracle stretch run to make the playoffs.

That said, I'm pleasantly surprised with the return on this trade. Glad he didn't go to a top conference team, as Nashville is 5th or so in the west, making the potential return on that 2nd round pick that much better. That the Habs received 1 decent prospect in the deal makes it that much better. By all accounts, Slaney is simply a contracts toss in, so I'm not counting him.

I love this trade. Gill for a second would have been a good move, a prospect and an ahler only sweeten the deal. I'm happy that this will be a move to finally establish a fourth line for the rest of the year, playing 7 d-men is ridiculous, and unneccesary without having to shelter Gill. Next up, Moen, and Kostitsyn(Red Wings??)

I wouldn't label us as sellers yet.  The fact is Gill had no future with us past this season and even if, by the slim chance, we do make the playoffs, we're not going deep enough to warrant needing Gill.  I think Gill was going to be traded by deadline unless we were in the top 4 spots in our conference.  We have a nice pool of unmatured defensemen.  Kostitsyn is in a Cammy situation now where he's gone, the only questions are to where and for how much.  Moen I would hold on until deadline day just in case.

Where did you get draft pick info?  I been looking for it for awhile.

I have 2012 memorized so I didn't have to check. But

habsprospects.hockeyhq.net

I think is the address of the site I use that has full details of all drafts though.  If that doesn't work I'm in Montreal for the long weekend and Sunday Night Game, so I'm on my phone all weekend.  I have the site bookmarked on my home computer ask me to post it on monday night.

Well, thats 3 good trades this year; as both Kaberle and Bourque are huge upgrades over Spacek and that other hot dog. Congrats Mr.Gauthier

I had thought just a 2nd would be good enough for Gill, so if Geoffrion ends up being a 3rd or 4th line LW, just a bonus.

• Upvote 1

I'd disagree with that. Dumping Gill definitely makes the Habs defense weaker, thus making it more difficult to go on a miracle stretch run to make the playoffs.

That said, I'm pleasantly surprised with the return on this trade. Glad he didn't go to a top conference team, as Nashville is 5th or so in the west, making the potential return on that 2nd round pick that much better. That the Habs received 1 decent prospect in the deal makes it that much better. By all accounts, Slaney is simply a contracts toss in, so I'm not counting him.

definitely makes us sellers. he was probably our 3rd best dman,and certainly better than Campoli or kaberle. I thought Gill was a good hab and he definitely gave it his all with limited skills. Was well worth the contracts he got. Great team player.

Well, thats 3 good trades this year; as both Kaberle and Bourque are huge upgrades over Spacek and that other hot dog. Congrats Mr.Gauthier

I had thought just a 2nd would be good enough for Gill, so if Geoffrion ends up being a 3rd or 4th line LW, just a bonus.

Amen

definitely makes us sellers. he was probably our 3rd best dman,and certainly better than Campoli or kaberle. I thought Gill was a good hab and he definitely gave it his all with limited skills. Was well worth the contracts he got. Great team player.

I hope he comes back to the organization in some form in the future.

Blake Geoffrion has a ton of talent and played decent for Nashville last year, but has struggled this year. This could be a player where he needs a change of scenary. I like us being on that side of this deal for once. I still think Blake will be a quality player, not a great guy, but a 2nd/3rd line tweener.

Kaberle deal was laughed at league wide. It's the worst trade he's made. Lets get the lies from you PG fanboys out of the way. Kaberle is NOT a 50 pt guy. he hasn't scored 50 since 07-08. He has 2 g 31 a 33pts in last 82 games. 25 hits,8 pim. He has 24 pts in 58 games which is about a 35 pt pace. he is noticeably declining offensively and is butter soft and terrible on defense. And we have 2 more yrs of $4.25m for this Ex TO turd. Bourque has 3g 2 a 5 pts in 14 games,and Cammi has 4 g 2 a 6 pts in 13 games. That trade was bad for both teams.Gauthier is universally ridiculed,as are people who thinks he's done well with the "hapless Habs" as i read today

Not bad. Maybe Geoffrion excels now. He was the 2010 Hobey Baker winner. I wish Montreal would have him up for a cup of coffee right away...oh well.

There'll be no pressure on "little BOOM BOOM in Montreal,lol

Kaberle scored 47 pts last year,

Was on a 55+ point pace in 2010 but was hurt.

Scored 49 pts in 2009.

3 pts over a season when he doesn't play all 82 games, or 1 pt over such a season of again less than 82 games are no big deal, he's still a 50pt Dman. As for his D, yes he's no shutdown D, but at 4.25 million that's what you get. If he shut people down and scored 50 pts hed be worth 7 million.

• Upvote 1

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1254

Nashville Predators

The Problem: The Nashville Predators are one team when stars Shea Weber and Ryan Suter are on the ice, and completely another with anyone else. Beyond those two All-Stars, the Predators' blue line is a collection of the untried and the unknown. While their need for some top-six scoring up front also limits their postseason potential, they will never go anywhere without at least two complete lines of experienced defensemen who can play tough minutes against top opponents.

The Fix: At 6-foot-7 and 240 pounds, 14-year veteran Hal Gill would provide Nashville not only with needed defensive help on the blue line, but also the size and grit. Gill's playoff experience could also prove invaluable; he has gone on deep runs three straight seasons from 2007-08 to 2009-10, winning the Stanley Cup with Pittsburgh in 2008-09. Given the 36-year-old's age and unrestricted free-agent status, Montreal's top penalty killer could likely be had for far less than the two picks (second round and fifth) it required Pittsburgh this time back in 2008.

Seems like PG did well on the return compared to what was expected by at least one analyst.