Habs claim Jeff Halpern off waivers

dlbalr

Good 13th Forward. Better than a rookie. Probably his last season in the league. You can always use a veteran like him. Being a righty always helps.

I'd play him on the 4th line over Ryan White. I've never liked White at Centre, with his lack of footspeed and lack of vision, I think he's a winger.

He becomes the new 13th forward. So Dumont goes down.

Blunden likely (after tonight's game as Halpern won't play tonight). Dumont once the team is healthy.

Halpern is also good on the PK and we need that.

He was part of our team the year we made the run to the conference finals. If I remember right he was hurt in the 7th game against Boston in the first round and didn't play in a Canadien's uniform since.

Either way when I heard he was on waivers I was hoping we would pick him up. Great faceoff guy, we need a faceoff guy that can win those need-to-win faceoffs . Great pickup.

NOt sure I understand this move? Halpern is 36 years old. How much gas does he have left in the tank? I understand that he was good in the face off circle, but besides that...what is he good for?

He was part of our team the year we made the run to the conference finals. If I remember right he was hurt in the 7th game against Boston in the first round and didn't play in a Canadien's uniform since.

Either way when I heard he was on waivers I was hoping we would pick him up. Great faceoff guy, we need a faceoff guy that can win those need-to-win faceoffs . Great pickup.

He wasn't part of the conference final team. He was part of the 10-11 team.

NOt sure I understand this move. Halpern is 36 years old. How much gas does he have left in the tank. I understand that he was good in the face off circle, but besides that...what is he good for?

Kill penalties and play 4th line minutes.

It's a good move.

When Healthy he will center the 4th line with Moen and Arnstrong. Prust probably with Eller and Galchenyuk.

It's sounds like Bourque had a set back and isn't skating.

Blunden and Dumont go down

Our PK has hurt because Therrien doesn't play White and Subban enough on it. I guess he'd play Halpern at least.

Its also a stupid system. The diamond formation on the PK doesn't work. Last year they played the box and it works much better... especially against the cross ice pass that is killing us.

• Upvote 1

Its also a stupid system. The diamond formation on the PK doesn't work. Last year they played the box and it works much better... especially against the cross ice pass that is killing us.

Yeah the box that opened to create pressure was the way to go. Not sure why he's not looking at tapes from last year for the PK, as it clearly was the only thing working last season.

This Halpern pickup is also going to help because of his ability to win the faceoff on the PK. A won draw is a good chance that the puck is going down the other end of the ice and 10-15 seconds gone from the PK.

Yeah the box that opened to create pressure was the way to go. Not sure why he's not looking at tapes from last year for the PK, as it clearly was the only thing working last season..

It takes Therrien a bit to learn old lessons but he learns it eventually. Good to remember that he's not the only coach supposed to handle the PK.

NOt sure I understand this move? Halpern is 36 years old. How much gas does he have left in the tank? I understand that he was good in the face off circle, but besides that...what is he good for?

This is the veteran forward depth that every team needs for the playoffs. It is the veteran forward depth we need since Bourke is still not back. He is a good penalty killer (an area we need to improve) and good on faceoffs (an area we need to improve). Need I say more? Ok, since you asked.

Best of all:

potentially valuable player for this years playoffs acquired = 1. Assets surrendered = 0

Another cautious, astute move by MB with no risk and potential upside. I am impressed.

Brian-two way contract???? M

We dont need him. maybe like three people get hurt. lol would rather have white or blunden or double shift the other c men before him.

Maybe three get hurt? Three forwards already are hurt. There's nothing wrong with adding some depth especially when the cost is free. The PK is struggling and that's his best role. White isn't a good penalty killer and Blunden doesn't kill penalties (at least in the NHL, he does log some minutes in that role with the Bulldogs). I'm presuming you were hoping to add some toughness, there's still time for that yet.

I'm not sure Halpern's an every game regular when everyone's healthy but the odds of the whole team being healthy anytime soon seem to be dropping quickly.

My quick writeup on the move - including faceoff numbers and career stats:

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3038

Halpern has been playing well in New York. He has been offensively starving but he was their best PK player and still skates well. Most Rangers fans were perplexed and wondering why the team put him on waivers. After losing so much depth in the Nash trade, here's a guy who has done well for them and they drop him. It actually seems like it could be an imminent trade situation. Or the team is making room for the younger kids.

Good depth move:

- can win important faceoff's

- can play 4th line minutes

- can help the PK

- knows Montreal

- only costs $700k

Big question is, will he take #15?

He's been snake bit a bit in New York Offensively. The team's shooting percentage when he is on the ice is like 2.7%.... this is ridiculously low, and is unlikely to continue. When you see a number like this (over a small sample size ie less than 30 games) its likely a result of luck, and should revert back to the mean. His offense is definitely due to pickup.

When everyone's healthy, I see the forward lines like this:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Ryder

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta

Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher

Prust - Halpern - Armstrong

Extras: Moen, White

I really think all the smurfs should be split up down the first three lines which is why I have both Galy's playing together. Brendan and Alex worked so well together at the beginning of the year, I'd like to see them back together with Eller. That's your energy line!

The first line will definitely have some defensive brain farts, but their job is to score.

The second line had good chemistry in the first part of the season.

Our 4th line becomes a pain-in-the-ass to play against because of Prust. Substitute Moen or White when you want a bigger force against the B's.

Pretty solid lineup if you ask me.

When everyone's healthy, I see the forward lines like this:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Ryder

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta

Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher

Prust - Halpern - Armstrong

Extras: Moen, White

I really think all the smurfs should be split up down the first three lines which is why I have both Galy's playing together. Brendan and Alex worked so well together at the beginning of the year, I'd like to see them back together with Eller. That's your energy line!

The first line will definitely have some defensive brain farts, but their job is to score.

The second line had good chemistry in the first part of the season.

Our 4th line becomes a pain-in-the-ass to play against because of Prust. Substitute Moen or White when you want a bigger force against the B's.

Pretty solid lineup if you ask me.

Gallagher has great chemistry with DD and Patches. No need to remove him there. Ryder is also better suited to play 15 minutes a game so the third line works better for him.

I would defintiely not scratch Moen in favour of Armstrong. No way, no how. Moen is our second best defensive forward. Armstrong has been a bit of a failure on the PK.

If Prust is on a fourth line, that fourth line is getting at least 12 minutes a game.

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher (Playing too well to break up)

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta (Bourque going to the net is what this line needs)

Chucky - Eller - Ryder (was tried, but was very, very short... I think the two playmakers with Ryder will work)

Prust - Halpern - Moen/Armstrong

Extra White

If we are ever 100% healthy... but that remains to be seen.