-Matt Cooke

-Danny Briere

-Jagr

-PM Bouchard

-Theo Peckham

-Keith Ballard

-Valteri Fillpula

-Damien Brunner

Dont Want: Clowe or Cooke. - Clowe showed he was only a product of Jumbo Joe, Cooke is Cooke.

Don't Think We'd Get: Briere or Jagr. Briere won't sign in Montreal, Jagr just pretends he wants to sign here. Though I'd like Jagr for cheap (could be possible after those playoffs).

Want: Ballard (could be a steal if we play him on his actual side).

Don't really care/know enough about the rest to have an opinion.

Well Kristo,Collberg and Hudon are/were being touted as our 3 best forward prospects. They are all small and if they are the best we got then we have to really look into the trade route and/or next years UFA class. I thought all three were marginal prospects at best and I've been proven right about Kristo

...How?

He's played 9 games at the pro level. All this has proven is you judge talent too quickly, or perhaps base it only on size, considering most of your posts on this forum today.

Dont Want: Clowe or Cooke. - Clowe showed he was only a product of Jumbo Joe, Cooke is Cooke.

Don't Think We'd Get: Briere or Jagr. Briere won't sign in Montreal, Jagr just pretends he wants to sign here. Though I'd like Jagr for cheap (could be possible after those playoffs).

Want: Ballard (could be a steal if we play him on his actual side).

Don't really care/know enough about the rest to have an opinion.

Clowe would be great with Galchenyuk and Eller. That would be the best 3rd line the Habs have had for years. Who cares if we have to pay him. 1-2 mil or a year more than he's worth? Big ticket free agents don't sign here anyways.

We need a guy like Bolland who can play on any line, or we'll have to put Moen or Prust in a scoring role with Plekanec when Gio or Bourque get injured.

...How?

He's played 9 games at the pro level. All this has proven is you judge talent too quickly, or perhaps base it only on size, considering most of your posts on this forum today.

I'm not the one who traded him,LOL. If he was as good as you think,wouldn't he still be here ? The size issue is based on a team that isn't close to competing in a 4 round playoff grind. We got absolutely physically embarassed by an Ottawa team that wasn't exactly inimidating. Injured,out hit and beat up

Edited by jcc10

I'm not the one who traded him,LOL. If he was as good as you think,wouldn't he still be here ? The size issue is based on a team that isn't close to competing in a 4 round playoff grind. We got absolutely physically embarassed by an Ottawa team that wasn't exactly inimidating. Injured,out hit and beat up

Or the Habs think Kristo is good but Thomas is a better fit for them? I wouldn't call the trade them giving up on him - had they dealt him for a marginal depth piece I'd agree with you but Thomas, despite his small stature, is a legitimate prospect in his own right. I can tell you're not a fan of the deal but Kristo wasn't dumped for nothing.

Personally, I flip-flop on the trade. I like Kristo and the fact he's probably closer to being able to step in right away (and like everyone else, it would've been nice to see him after waiting for 5 years), but at the same time, there aren't many snipers on the farm or in juniors (there's Collberg and...now Thomas, that's about it) and pure scorers are always nice to have. Yes, like everyone else, I'd have preferred he was taller but I do see some benefits still to the trade (and some drawbacks).

Or the Habs think Kristo is good but Thomas is a better fit for them? I wouldn't call the trade them giving up on him - had they dealt him for a marginal depth piece I'd agree with you but Thomas, despite his small stature, is a legitimate prospect in his own right. I can tell you're not a fan of the deal but Kristo wasn't dumped for nothing.

Personally, I flip-flop on the trade. I like Kristo and the fact he's probably closer to being able to step in right away (and like everyone else, it would've been nice to see him after waiting for 5 years), but at the same time, there aren't many snipers on the farm or in juniors (there's Collberg and...now Thomas, that's about it) and pure scorers are always nice to have. Yes, like everyone else, I'd have preferred he was taller but I do see some benefits still to the trade (and some drawbacks).

I agree with everything you just said,I was responding to the part that said " He's played 9 games at the pro level. All this has proven is you judge talent too quickly"

IMO, entirely too much discussion over two players who have every likelihood of *never* playing in the NHL regularly.

Just saying... :D

IMO, entirely too much discussion over two players who have every likelihood of *never* playing in the NHL regularly.

Just saying... :D

This is why I cooled on my reaction. Kristo I was hoping to become a top six winger but was he really going to be? Guess time will tell.

Another factor, now that Palushaj is gone, there's no one at in Hamilton who has any shot at being an injury call up in a scoring role. Gionta being out, and trying to fill his role could of been a catalyst. Pushing up Prust and Moen and Darche over the years has failed, and weakened the bottom 6 severely.

They're getting there. Let's see what Marc St. WeirdSuit does during free agency. Looking at what he goes for in a contract, it's clear that Scuderi, Iginla, Horton and Clarkson are out.

My picks-with Bergevin's tire kicking ways in mind, I'd say the following free agents are Habs targets.

-Ryane Clowe

-Matt Cooke

-Danny Briere

-Jagr

-PM Bouchard

-Theo Peckham

-Keith Ballard

-Valteri Fillpula

-Damien Brunner

I say we:

1. Overpay for Clowe. (Term wise)

2. Get either Brunner or PM Bouchard for a project.

3. Crap the bed on D, and sign no one.

I'm going out on a limb, and I say this is the overdue "Year of the Goon." Jody Shelley and Fraser MacClaren are available, and if I'm Bergevin I'd offer 2 years/1.7 mil for MacClaren.

If Prust has to fight more than 15 times next year, I don't see him making it to the end of his deal in one piece.

Prust fought 20 times in his last season with the Rangers.

We got something for him, didn't we? You have to give quality to get quality.

We signed him before the playoffs.

I hate the deal. How many 5'9" and smaller players do we need??? Kristo had a great shot and decent speed. I can't believe he wasn't at least given a half year in Hanilton before giving up on him.

Kristo may have been hard to sign..We only had until July 5th to sign him or he becomes a UFA...

Don't knock this Thomas kid..He is good..Plays in the mold of his old man, Steve..

Character issues??the kid is what 22, 23?? If there is a 27 or 28 year old who still has character issues, you worry. You don't ship out a a guy in his early 20's before he gets a shot at the pros.

This is almost as dumb as the bruins moving Seguin.

Apparently, Kristo has character issues and it didn't sit well with Bergevin..

Seriously????? The guy joins a team at the end of the college year and end of the AHL year and you call that a chance?????

He did get a shot in the AHL and he wasn't impressive.

• Upvote 1

So Kristo gets what 8 games of AHL experience and that is considered getting a shot and Leblanc gets a pass for three years of proving squat in the AHL???

Leblanc didn't really have character issues. He had trouble coming back from an injury. That said, some people take delight in hoping he never makes the NHL so not much you can do to change their minds.

No. We sign Breire and trade for Thomas. Gallegher, Gionta, Briere, desharnais, Thomas. That's a pretty imposing forward group if Thomas makes it.

Does anyone feel better if I word it like this : Montreal has acquired New York's 2nd round pick in 2010 (40th overall) for Montreal's 2nd round pick in 2008 pick (56th overall).

Haha......Oh well it was worth a shot

Exactly if Kane was a hab he would have been shipped out for a 5th rounder - after all we don't want to tarnish the franchise reputation.

What do you (or others) know about Kristo's work ethic ?. He's a 22 yo college kid who got caught a couple of times with alcohol or drinking at parties. Wow,what a bad KID.Worked hard enough to be one of the top NCAA players the past couple of years though. I guess by that reasoning the Hawks should have dumped Patrick "Conn Smythe winner" kane

I hope so and had hopes for him during his call up in 2012. His window is starting to close

How have you been proven right??? We're those that thought McDonough was another lousy "American college" pick proven right by the idiotic trade made by Gainey???

Well Kristo,Collberg and Hudon are/were being touted as our 3 best forward prospects. They are all small and if they are the best we got then we have to really look into the trade route and/or next years UFA class. I thought all three were marginal prospects at best and I've been proven right about Kristo

I just got back from a week in the mountains without any Internet or TV. I get back and find out we signe Briere, trade for Thomas and trade for Parros - another marginal 4th liner who averages 4 minutes a game with one of the worst teams in the league. Is this how we are addressing the size issue ???

Ottawa loses Alfredsson and STILL gets better, and this is all MB does??? This is a terrible flashback to my trip a few years back when we i got back to find wetraded away McDonough for the worst contract in hockey.

Toronto also dumped that weasel Grabovski, gets Clarkson, bolland, bernier.

Dude, relax. It's just Dany Kristo. We didn't trade any franchise changing player here...

So Kristo gets what 8 games of AHL experience and that is considered getting a shot and Leblanc gets a pass for three years of proving squat in the AHL???

For one, Leblanc has only played two AHL years and in the first one, he did well enough to get called up to Montreal for half a season. That's not exactly squat, even if he did have a very poor year in 2012-13.

Ottawa loses Alfredsson and STILL gets better, and this is all MB does??? This is a terrible flashback to my trip a few years back when we i got back to find wetraded away McDonough for the worst contract in hockey.

Moral of the story - don't take holidays at the beginning of free agency? :)

We signed him before the playoffs.

I hate the deal. How many 5'9" and smaller players do we need??? Kristo had a great shot and decent speed. I can't believe he wasn't at least given a half year in Hanilton before giving up on him.

Dany Kristo, big imposing power forward traded for midget Christian Thomas.

Oh wait, that isn't an apt description of Dany Kristo... he's actually an undersized, but skilled winger similar to Thomas... and Kristo might be 2 inches taller but Thomas is grittier. Yeah, that makes more sense now.