Manny Malhotra signs a 1 year deal

dlbalr

A universally respected player who by all accounts is tremendous in the room. He can win draws but is only a shadow of the glue guy he was before he lost an eye. A good depth signing. I'd still have preferred Saku, dammit!!

A universally respected player who by all accounts is tremendous in the room. He can win draws but is only a shadow of the glue guy he was before he lost an eye. A good depth signing. I'd still have preferred Saku, dammit!!

Bergevin is changing the leadership dynamic of the team.. Gorges gone, Gionta gone. Most likely didnt want Koivu to mix things up.

We get one of the top faceoff man in the league, good 4th liner signing. Great leader by example too.

Bergevin is changing the leadership dynamic of the team.. Gorges gone, Gionta gone. Most likely didnt want Koivu to mix things up.

We get one of the top faceoff man in the league, good 4th liner signing. Great leader by example too.

Since I don't think "leadership" was an issue at all, I'm not sure I follow this logic. Frankly I think MB is just ruthlessly purging what he sees as bad contracts. However, Malholtra's unquestioned leadership should help to fill part of the considerable vacuum left by Gio and Gorges.

Since I don't think "leadership" was an issue at all, I'm not sure I follow this logic. Frankly I think MB is just ruthlessly purging what he sees as bad contracts. However, Malholtra's unquestioned leadership should help to fill part of the considerable vacuum left by Gio and Gorges.

Maybe.... but it's ok by me:)

No particular place to put this, but this being Canada day I am reminded of my week traveling to the Gaspe and just how astonishing the Saint Lawrence River becomes as one travels her shore. I hope all of you guys get to stand where Jacques Cartier stood surveying this marvelous life bringing artery and the heart of Canada.

What a marvelous, beautiful province.

No particular place to put this, but this being Canada day I am reminded of my week traveling to the Gaspe and just how astonishing the Saint Lawrence River becomes as one travels her shore. I hope all of you guys get to stand where Jacques Cartier stood surveying this marvelous life bringing artery and the heart of Canada.

What a marvelous, beautiful province.

:halm::clap::clap::canada::quebec::clap::clap:

Malholtra, Prust, and Weise will be a hell of a 4th line for anyone to deal with, not to mention the instant upgrade in the Faceoff circle as well as the Leadership he brings, now even more important with the departure of Gionta and Georges.

I'm typically not crazy about bringing in depth via free agency, but being a Jackets fan as well, it's great to have Manny on the team. I didn't see much of him last year after his comeback, but even if he's not a solid 3rd line anymore, surely he's still a great 4th liner.

yes MM should suffice as 4th line centre, PK duty and important late game faceoffs and cant argue bout his salary neither.

Enjoy Malhotra while you can as he won't be back next year. He took the 'cursed' #20...

I had the same thought.

• 3 months later...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/32843/manny-malhotra-providing-key-leadership-for-young-canadiens

Important notes:

- Malhotra grew up a Bruins fan

- Says the only problem with his eye sight is reading fine print

- Price said he's the guy who has stepped up in absence of Gionta/Gorges

- Currently running a 65% faceoff percentage

- Speaks fluent French

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/32843/manny-malhotra-providing-key-leadership-for-young-canadiens

Important notes:

- Malhotra grew up a Bruins fan

- Says the only problem with his eye sight is reading fine print

- Price said he's the guy who has stepped up in absence of Gionta/Gorges

- Currently running a 65% faceoff percentage

- Speaks fluent French

and plays hockey real well.

and plays hockey real well.

Agreed.

I can't stand the rotating door for fourth line centers we've had. It's like ever since Kyle Chipchura didn't pan out the way we had hoped (which we should have been patient on. Up until this season he has been a fine fourth line center for Arizona), we have been constantly bringing in guys like Halpern and Metropolit to do one and done jobs in the bottom six. Malhotra looks to be another one and done but I hope we re-sign him. That is, if he keeps the play up. He's just perfect for the team.

So far, the Habs are 2nd in the league in faceoff percentage at 55.4%. (Only Carolina has a higher success rate, they're at a whopping 59.1%.) It's really nice having the confidence/expectation that Malhotra will win the key faceoffs late in the game.

Why not he is one of the best we got right now. He is cheap and can win face offs something we will always need.

A 2 year deal would kick in the 35+ conditions as he'll turn 35 in May. Given the heightened risk with retirement due to his eye injury with Vancouver, that's something I don't see the Habs - or any team - doing. If he keeps playing well for the rest of the year, I'm sure they'd approach him about another one year contract though.

A 2 year deal would kick in the 35+ conditions as he'll turn 35 in May. Given the heightened risk with retirement due to his eye injury with Vancouver, that's something I don't see the Habs - or any team - doing. If he keeps playing well for the rest of the year, I'm sure they'd approach him about another one year contract though.

Good point hadn't thought about the 35+ rule. It was more of a rhetorical statement. I don't actually expect the habs to run and throw a contract at him after 2 weeks. I am just really impressed with how well he plays. I thought for sure that his career was over, especially after Vancouver sat him out "for his own good". Apparently he has proven them wrong in spades.

What I didn't see for the last couple seasons, is the chance that our fourth line could actually create some chances, and play in the opponents end more than ours.

Face off guru, super sound position player, big, strong, good skater, experienced vs the big tough west, and a natural leader, and oh yeah, very smart.... What's not to like about Malhotra?