McCarron cut from US Jr. Team summer camp

ICEWATER77

Sherbak looked like a child out there in pre season. He's talented, but has zero defensive skills. I honestly clinched my teeth when he had the puck a times, I didn't want him to get destroyed. There's no way he's playing pro next year.

Mccarron on the other hand has a chance of being with Hamilton next year.

They'll both be in Hamilton next year. Scherbak's late December birthdate means that he meets the age requirement (by a day) to play in the AHL next season. (It's the same rule that allowed Beaulieu to play with the Bulldogs just one year after being drafted.) The Habs could keep Scherbak in the WHL if they wanted but they'll want him against the tougher competition as soon as possible.

They'll both be in Hamilton next year. Scherbak's late December birthdate means that he meets the age requirement (by a day) to play in the AHL next season. (It's the same rule that allowed Beaulieu to play with the Bulldogs just one year after being drafted.) The Habs could keep Scherbak in the WHL if they wanted but they'll want him against the tougher competition as soon as possible.

Scherbak has his weaknesses, but it's nothing that can't be fixed. He has a very positive attitude, wants to learn. The coaches will work with him and he will adjust. He is tremendously talented. No reason to fear that he won't be able to learn concepts like positioning, passing lanes, etc. Just glad that we were able to draft a young man who has such natural offensive skills. You can't teach those, you are born with them.

Guest Stogey24

I still think he'll stay in W. He's soft as butter

I still think he'll stay in W. He's soft as butter

I may be wrong about this but I think he may be classified as an overager in junior next year. It's rather rare for a junior team to use an import and an overage spot on one player, even the top ones. Even if there is a team willing to do so, I'd put the odds of him being in the WHL next season at less than 5% (in case there's a serious injury where they may want to be careful). NHL teams rarely hold their top prospects back when they can be exposed to greater competition.

Scherbak's scrawny now but give him another full year of development and offseason training. He'll be better equipped to handle the physical play next season. I'd be shocked if he wasn't with the Bulldogs come next October.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

I may be wrong about this but I think he may be classified as an overager in junior next year. It's rather rare for a junior team to use an import and an overage spot on one player, even the top ones. Even if there is a team willing to do so, I'd put the odds of him being in the WHL next season at less than 5% (in case there's a serious injury where they may want to be careful). NHL teams rarely hold their top prospects back when they can be exposed to greater competition.

Scherbak's scrawny now but give him another full year of development and offseason training. He'll be better equipped to handle the physical play next season. I'd be shocked if he wasn't with the Bulldogs come next October.

If the player isn't ready I'd be against bringing them up. He over ager next year isn't he?

If the player isn't ready I'd be against bringing them up. He over ager next year isn't he?

Yes, he'd be overage next year. As for not being ready, I'm not sure how he wouldn't be. He was really good last year at the junior level and early on this season. Presuming that continues, he wouldn't have much left to prove at that level. Give him this season and the summer to put on more muscle - a very realistic expectation - and he should physically be ready for pro hockey next year.

Scherbak isn't in the same boat as guys like Mac Bennett and Mark MacMillan, Montreal prospects who were way underdeveloped physically at the time they were drafted. Those guys needed 3-4 years to get to a pro weight, Scherbak won't. Come next year, he should be ready enough (he doesn't have to be at peak NHL playing weight when he starts in the AHL). Even if he isn't, they still won't send him back to junior and set his development path back a full season (they can't send him back for a bit and then put him in Hamilton in, say, January).

Heck, if they're concerned about him not being strong enough, they could play him with McCarron who obviously will be strong enough for Hamilton next year...I had to get him in this post somewhere, lest I completely derail this thread...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stogey24

Yeah, I just heard on radio. I haven't seen a game this year. Suppose to be going to game tomorrow. Let you boys know how he looks

Whoooo! putting cart before horse there Sparky.

Don't get too excited because of 2 weeks of good play vs pimple-faced teenagers.

But, yes is nice start to season and encouraging.

Damn it is going to be exciting when that behemoth makes it to the NHL.

Nice thought bud but, I still wanna trade for Bickell to hold his spot warm until this dream comes true.... :thumbs_up:

I think the Habs could use a grinder like him Don, he can score and create offense, and is a dominant playoff player, with size and grit, we don't have such a creature at the moment, and I think it's a big part of why we are looking so mediocre.

He would also be obtainable, and to quote Bergevin, he's the type of player that "gets you through the playoffs"...

He's Rene Bourque younger and with more size. (Okay he isn't exactly Rene but I love comparing all of these big guys people like to him)

He's a guy the Blackhawks are hoping to unload so they can make the cap next year.

His 12-13 was solid while his 13-14 was just alright.

He also rarely plays a full season due to injuries and had 15 points last season. You'd be fine with that in Montreal? When we don't have weapons like Hossa, Sharp, Toews and Kane to play him with?

Yikes.

I'd be happier with him, what he brings in playoffs, and his potential even on the third line, more than I would with Bourque and Moen's ineptness, yeah...

His playoff performances speak for themselves bud...

Whoooo! putting cart before horse there Sparky.

Don't get too excited because of 2 weeks of good play vs pimple-faced teenagers.

But, yes is nice start to season and encouraging.

I have seen him twice, last year and this year, at training camp against an NHL team, and liked what I saw very much. Not much of a doubt, in my mind, that he will be all right when he will play with better teammates.