The Battle for Two Defence Spots

Commandant

no to bouillon please.... he will be released and be an ambassador to the team or maybe replace brisebois, maybe a locker room presence, but no roster spot!!!!!!!!!

markov pk subban

emelin gilbert

tinordi weaver

beaulieau pateryn

dietz

is my depth chart

no to bouillon please.... he will be released and be an ambassador to the team or maybe replace brisebois, maybe a locker room presence, but no roster spot!!!!!!!!!

markov pk subban

emelin gilbert

tinordi weaver

beaulieau pateryn

dietz

is my depth chart

His two assists recently might argue against your point. He still has value. I don't think he was signed to be an ambassador and cut. I do believe he could be around to be an on ice coach for the young guys in Hamilton however, if he isn't carried with the big club and "injured".

Btw - Deitz might be the guy when it's all settled. He is highly under estimated imo. He could be the most ready with the most upside.

Dietz has all of 34 pro games under his belt, most of which were on the 3rd pairing on a lousy Hamilton team. He's not ready yet, not even close.

His two assists recently might argue against your point. He still has value. I don't think he was signed to be an ambassador and cut. I do believe he could be around to be an on ice coach for the young guys in Hamilton however, if he isn't carried with the big club and "injured".

He was signed to a pto so no big deal. Use him somewhere if we can but I don't think he has a chance of making this club. Send him to Hamilton as a player/ coach?

Nygren didn't get a fair shake I don't think. We'll probably see him get traded and tear it up with a new team. Seems to have more upside in the short stints I've seen him play. It seems like they want to stifle his development but keep giving Tinordi chance after chance. I never understood why Pateryn never got a look last season either. The brass seems set that it HAS to be Beuleau or Tinordi

Guest Stogey24

Nygren didn't get a fair shake I don't think. We'll probably see him get traded and tear it up with a new team. Seems to have more upside in the short stints I've seen him play. It seems like they want to stifle his development but keep giving Tinordi chance after chance. I never understood why Pateryn never got a look last season either. The brass seems set that it HAS to be Beuleau or Tinordi

Have you seen Nygren in preseason? No? Me either and I've watched every game.

Have you seen Nygren in preseason? No? Me either and I've watched every game.

Really?????? Are you serious? He played almost 15 minutes against Boston and had two assists!!!

You've watched every game and didn't notice he even played? Come on, you need to keep you're comments to yourself if you don't have a clue what you're talking about. He also played against Colorado.

Just for your info as well, apparently he has as hard of a shot from the point as PK and may be more accurate.

No rookie defenseman has had more of an impact in a preseason game then him but you didn't know he even played, this is my point. Not given a fair shake.

• Upvote 1

"Come on, you need to keep you're comments to yourself if you don't have a clue what you're talking about."

OK guys.. let's not raise the bar too high.. Sometimes I just like seeing me in print somewhere other than my desk.... :rastapop:

"Come on, you need to keep you're comments to yourself if you don't have a clue what you're talking about."

OK guys.. let's not raise the bar too high.. Sometimes I just like seeing me in print somewhere other than my desk.... :rastapop:

You really are the pope aren't you? Way to keep the peace buddy.

• Upvote 1

Nygren got games. Fair enough chance I'd say. He needs to prove he's ready to be a team player in Hamilton anyway.

The guy who didn't get a fair shake was Mac Bennett. He got nothing but scrimmage and looked like a better skater than just about any other Habs D prospect.

Guest Stogey24

Really?????? Are you serious? He played almost 15 minutes against Boston and had two assists!!!

You've watched every game and didn't notice he even played? Come on, you need to keep you're comments to yourself if you don't have a clue what you're talking about. He also played against Colorado.

Just for your info as well, apparently he has as hard of a shot from the point as PK and may be more accurate.

No rookie defenseman has had more of an impact in a preseason game then him but you didn't know he even played, this is my point. Not given a fair shake.

Take it easy there Cuttie-Love. Wow, Nygren had two secondary assists against Boston. Get him on the roster now! He had a few terrible turnovers in his own end and would constantly dish he puck the to Bouillon because he was nervous with it. Thanks for the info though bud! Really appreciate your knowledge.

I watched the games too, and didn't notice that Nygren stood out, because he really didn't stand out. He does have one hell of a shot, but I think he is learning lessons this year in terms of being a prospect for the Canadiens.... Maybe he will develop fine, but that's not just yet.

Take it easy there Cuttie-Love. Wow, Nygren had two secondary assists against Boston. Get him on the roster now! He had a few terrible turnovers in his own end and would constantly dish he puck the to Bouillon because he was nervous with it. Thanks for the info though bud! Really appreciate your knowledge.

Now all of a sudden you did see him play?

We're talking about turnovers and Nygren but not Tinordi? Tinordi is the guy everyone loves, he's the "defensive" defenceman and noone makes more defensive gaffs then him. I just don't understand why everyone is so adament that he is the guy that needs to make the team. I don't see how Nygren or Pateryn are any further behind Bealieau or Tinordi in their progression, but it just seems to be blinders with the organization, I guess it's because of where they were drafted.

Guest Stogey24

Now all of a sudden you did see him play?

We're talking about turnovers and Nygren but not Tinordi? Tinordi is the guy everyone loves, he's the "defensive" defenceman and noone makes more defensive gaffs then him. I just don't understand why everyone is so adament that he is the guy that needs to make the team. I don't see how Nygren or Pateryn are any further behind Bealieau or Tinordi in their progression, but it just seems to be blinders with the organization, I guess it's because of where they were drafted.

Tinordi and Beaulieu both have roles on the team and were early first rounders with high ceilings. Of course they're going to get the most looks and there's good reason. One is 6'6 240 and the other is a potential offensive dynamo who has shown he can play at the NHL level. Nygren has shown nothing except the size of his heart when he abandoned the Bull Dogs mid season for higher waters back in Sweden. You put your time in and then you get looks. There's a reason he just got sent back down to Hamilton. He's way too one dimensional, but I'm not saying things can't change

Guest Stogey24

I watched the games too, and didn't notice that Nygren stood out, because he really didn't stand out. He does have one hell of a shot, but I think he is learning lessons this year in terms of being a prospect for the Canadiens.... Maybe he will develop fine, but that's not just yet.

I agree, he could develop to be a solid offensive D-man, but he's not ready for the show defensively. I posted a comment before preseason started saying I had a gut feeling he might crack the big team, but he looked lost in his own end more than once.

Tinordi has not had a strong camp.

Beaulieu has proven when he cares he is our best #6. He never seems to care in practice or in the AHL. He has his errors but every blueliner does.

Pateryn is solid. All around. Just isn't top quality on either side of the spectrum.

Nygren has good offensive instincts and poor defensive instincts. Bring him up now and he'll just develop into Yannick Weber, always convinced he just has to get better offensively to make a team. He also needs to prove he isn't going to throw another temper tantrum, take his ball and go home.

There is no clear, consensus choice. That's fine. Guys will go in and out of the lineup.

Guest Stogey24

Tinordi has not had a strong camp.

Beaulieu has proven when he cares he is our best #6. He never seems to care in practice or in the AHL. He has his errors but every blueliner does.

Pateryn is solid. All around. Just isn't top quality on either side of the spectrum.

Nygren has good offensive instincts and poor defensive instincts. Bring him up now and he'll just develop into Yannick Weber, always convinced he just has to get better offensively to make a team. He also needs to prove he isn't going to throw another temper tantrum, take his ball and go home.

There is no clear, consensus choice. That's fine. Guys will go in and out of the lineup.

Lets hope he's not Yannik

My post from the 28 Sept Caps game:

With respect to Macaskil, I disagree with the assessment that Tinordi did his cause no good last night. That hit and that fight are going to make MT and MB think long and hard about sending JT to Hamilton-- not to mention making opposing forwards think twice when entering the zone on his side. Intimidation is a factor in the NHL and Tinordi has it in spades.

I boldly predict that he makes the team with one of NB or Pateryn in rotation. I just don't see Drewski making it...he is an insurance policy that will be stashed in the AHL. And Cube...he should be packed. I have always admired Frankie B as a Hab, but its time to go.

Beauliue by a nose. Tinordi will be a huge asset to the club down the road, however like most huge men his best will come out later rather than sooner. (Chara)

Nathan is ready now and will likely move up to number 4 spot before season ends. Would be great to add Pateryn in a season or two but he and is agent will likely want a trade as opposed to playing with the Dogs for another season or two. Pateryn could make several NHL clubs right now.

Pateryn has NHL deal for next year.

I haven't seen any pre-season action, but seems Beaulieu has done nothing noteworthy at all (and still isn't producing any offense is he?), but is still best of all the shaky young d-men.

Not sure what Beaulieu is ready for, likely only easy limited even-strength minutes and some PP time, but not top 4 minutes and not sure he can even handle 15+minutes on a regular shift yet, without being exposed in own end.

But, a Weaver and Tinordi pairing would be hemmed in own end often and most teams would just dump puck in Tinordi's corner and pressure him for turnover, so Beaulieu likely has the spot by default.

There's no such thing as a third pairing D-man that doesn't make a few mistakes. That's why they play the third pairing.

The Kings had Martinez, Regehr, Schultz and Greene playing their third pairing. None of those guys are better than our current top four. Martinez would be a lot like what we will be trying to expect out of Nathan Beaulieu. Regehr and Schultz were liabilities when they played last post-season. Greene is big and tough but he rarely plays over 15 minutes a game for the Kings.

I'm not bothered if Beaulieu or Tinordi make mistakes in our zone. I'm bothered if they don't learn from the mistakes.

Not bothered by mistakes, think Beaulieu may be a nice fit with Weaver and neither Pateryn nor Tinordi have played that great so far, from what I have read anyways.

But always will be injuries and others will get a shot, what is gonna happen with Nygren? He was not a big fan of Hamilton last fall.