The Powerplay

I don't know, it just seems that our power play has never looked to good ever since PK and markov play the points together. it seems to always be a mess cause PK constantly is pushing his slapper and wants to flip flop with marky all the time disrupting the points and flow of possession.

i am a FIRM believer that if therrien simply flips gilbert and markov in pairings you will see instant dividends.

1st unit

patch DD gallagher

PK gilbert

2nd unit

paranteau plex galchenyuk

markov beaulieau

-a lefty feeding a lefty on the right point creates the perfect one timer and markov seems to be able to make any lefty an offensive juggernaut on the PP why not beaulieau... On the flip side, PK needs a right handed defender to feed his shot on the PP to really maximize this weapon and take it to the next level in scoring.

the simple secret to our power play.. a little blast from the past (success)

• Upvote 1

Interesting idea from the dramatically-named IN THE HEARTS OF MEN. I'd give it I try.

The issue with the PP, to me, is that other teams understand the urgency of a very aggressive attack on Subban and Markov. If they give those guys any time, they are dead. So they've adapted. The Habs still haven't. Everything remains based on trying to open up a blast for Subban.

One possible answer is - heresy, I know - for PK to dipsy-doodle a bit more, doing his spinaramma and carrying the puck deeper into the zone; stop thinking of shooting the Cannon all the time and using his playmaking/rushing skills instead. Another FW could take the point when he does this. Keep the other team off-balance not knowing what the hell #76 is up to. Also, #79 also has a hell of a shot, or used to; yet he seems not to use it anymore, as everything is designed to be funneled to Subban. He should fire that more, again, keeping teams more uncertain about what to expect.

But hell, I'm no coach, so this may be a terrible idea. What I do know is that we shouldn't have the 19th overall PP like last year, not with the weapons we have.

It is true that our powerplay has not been as effective as we would like (note the understatement) but:

1. Uhm, EVERY team in the league is dependent on their d-men to run the pp. That's how the term "power play quarterback" originated.

2. I see that Subban is making an effort NOT to just blast the puck but is often taking a softer shot or making a "slap pass"

3. I don't think the PP is a bad as some people think the stats indicate. At one point (I think it was in the Wsh game) the home team announcers said: " the Canadiens pp just did everything right in that sequence except score".

4. As was noted in the most recent HW piece we need to give a bit more time to our #2 PP --- this may happen if we actually get--and hold-- a lead and do not have to make a fabulous come-back (although I am not arguing against come-backs, they can't happen every game).

5. It may take more than 3 games for the pp to click

EDIT: just to prove I am right Ron Reusch disagrees with me:

www.thereuschblog.com/?p=33371

I fully agree with ITHOM, need to be flipped to be shooting from the fastest available shot when working it from the point.

I also agree with the idea of having the forwards more involved in a down low PP strategy as a change up, so as not complacent, and give other teams something to worry about.

Sure do like Galchenyuk on that half wall...

I like these ideas. It`s worth a try, since they`re struggling so badly.

I`d also like to see a strategic switch up for the 2nd unit. Maybe they could try a 1-3-1 approach to show the opposition something different. Anything is better than the results so far.

I don't know, it just seems that our power play has never looked to good ever since PK and markov play the points together. it seems to always be a mess cause PK constantly is pushing his slapper and wants to flip flop with marky all the time disrupting the points and flow of possession.

i am a FIRM believer that if therrien simply flips gilbert and markov in pairings you will see instant dividends.

1st unit

patch DD gallagher

PK gilbert

2nd unit

paranteau plex galchenyuk

markov beaulieau

-a lefty feeding a lefty on the right point creates the perfect one timer and markov seems to be able to make any lefty an offensive juggernaut on the PP why not beaulieau... On the flip side, PK needs a right handed defender to feed his shot on the PP to really maximize this weapon and take it to the next level in scoring.

the simple secret to our power play.. a little blast from the past (success)

Guest Stogey24

Rarely a forward in front of the net for a screen or tip. Probably don't want to be KO'd by one of PK's slapshots. They come in late for rebounds.

Somebody ask Kirk Muller

I was going to say that net presence is huge. They need a big body to literally not move from the crease. Even if it's on the second PP unit that they utilize the screen, it should be happening. Hell, I'd throw Weise out there once and awhile just to post up.

I was going to say that net presence is huge. They need a big body to literally not move from the crease. Even if it's on the second PP unit that they utilize the screen, it should be happening. Hell, I'd throw Weise out there once and awhile just to post up.

That's an excellent idea. However, it would inevitably lead to a massive attack on both MT and Weise, just as the usage of Moen and Metropolit on the PP generated howls of outrage in the land. The reason those players were used is that they were the ONLY damned players on their teams that were willing to drive the net on the power play. We'd be using Weise in a similar way, with a similar rationale (the only difference being that now we at least have Gallagher as a consistent, if diminutive, net presence). And the results would be similar - enraged fans confusing the symptom with the disease.

That's an excellent idea. However, it would inevitably lead to a massive attack on both MT and Weise, just as the usage of Moen and Metropolit on the PP generated howls of outrage in the land. The reason those players were used is that they were the ONLY damned players on their teams that were willing to drive the net on the power play. We'd be using Weise in a similar way, with a similar rationale (the only difference being that now we at least have Gallagher as a consistent, if diminutive, net presence). And the results would be similar - enraged fans confusing the symptom with the disease.

Don't forget Darche.

If the PP sucks again this year and they still win as much as they did last year, does it really matter?

LA had the 27th best PP last season. 6th best in the playoffs.

Chicago had the 19th best PP in 12-13. 13th best in the playoffs.

LA had the 17th best PP in 11-12. 12th best in the playoffs.

The more important stat to look at?

LA had the 3rd best 5 on 5 Goals For/Against ratio. Best in the playoffs. Montreal was 16th in the regular season, 7th in the playoffs.

Chicago had the best 5 on 5 GF/GA ratio in 12-13. Best in the playoffs.

LA had the 17th best 5 on 5 GF/GA ratio in 11-12. Had the best in the playoffs.

Right now is super early but tied for first in 5 on 5 goals is a good start to the season. Keeping that number high and carrying the offence to the playoffs is a better indicator of a good team than a strong powerplay.

Putting Weisse in front of the net on the PP would be a mistake. You need someone who actually has some hands to bang in rebounds or deflections. The answer is getting rid of dead weight like Bourque and bring in a guy who actually has some hands and will park his ass in front of the oppositions goalie. Maybe he can use Subban's approach!!

I'd much rather even give a guy from Hamilton a chance to play that role over having Weisse there. Having said that, we have plenty of skilled guys with size - parenteau, Eller, Maxpac, Bourque, Galchenyuk. We already know that is not maxpac's game. Promise the pp time to one of those other guys and make it clear they are only going to get PP time if they are willing to play the role.

I agree we need to keep producing even strength, but we also need to make tean's fear our PP. To me that is the best way to keep the opposition honest - not signing slugs like Parros.

LA had the 27th best PP last season. 6th best in the playoffs.

Chicago had the 19th best PP in 12-13. 13th best in the playoffs.

LA had the 17th best PP in 11-12. 12th best in the playoffs.

The more important stat to look at?

LA had the 3rd best 5 on 5 Goals For/Against ratio. Best in the playoffs. Montreal was 16th in the regular season, 7th in the playoffs.

Chicago had the best 5 on 5 GF/GA ratio in 12-13. Best in the playoffs.

LA had the 17th best 5 on 5 GF/GA ratio in 11-12. Had the best in the playoffs.

Right now is super early but tied for first in 5 on 5 goals is a good start to the season. Keeping that number high and carrying the offence to the playoffs is a better indicator of a good team than a strong powerplay.

I agree we need to keep producing even strength, but we also need to make tean's fear our PP. To me that is the best way to keep the opposition honest - not signing slugs like Parros.

I agree with both of you on the 5 on 5 but I don't think we really know if Wiesse is good in front of the net or not. He can score as he has shown so why not give him a shot. He is hard to move out of there. I totally agree that if you have a lethal P/P then teams will be very careful about giving you one, and is a great deterrent to the bs that goes on.

DD wont do it. Pleks wont do it. Bourque wont do it.

Reminds me of Holmstrom telling the story of how he became the a net front presence and not only on the pp, regular shift too. Scotty said to him "go in front of the net and you will play all night, go behind it or in the corner and you will hardly play at all" A scorer was born. Holmstrom added that up until then, his entire hockey career, he did not play the game that way. He thanks Scotty for seeing he could be that player. Made his career.

These days if a player does not want to go in front of the net, he does not have to. Habs unfortunately have a lot of the type that simply wont do it. If you have Gallagher the only one doing it. he will be done before he hits 25. He needs other to share the task.

If i was MT I would tear a page from Bowmans book and make Lars Eller my Tomas Holmstrom.

DD wont do it. Pleks wont do it. Bourque wont do it.

Reminds me of Holmstrom telling the story of how he became the a net front presence and not only on the pp, regular shift too. Scotty said to him "go in front of the net and you will play all night, go behind it or in the corner and you will hardly play at all" A scorer was born. Holmstrom added that up until then, his entire hockey career, he did not play the game that way. He thanks Scotty for seeing he could be that player. Made his career.

These days if a player does not want to go in front of the net, he does not have to. Habs unfortunately have a lot of the type that simply wont do it. If you have Gallagher the only one doing it. he will be done before he hits 25. He needs other to share the task.

If i was MT I would tear a page from Bowmans book and make Lars Eller my Tomas Holmstrom.

I doubt Lucky Lars has the intestinal fortitude for the job. One of the problems I have with him is the distinct impression that he's like Ringo in The Beatles - "just happy to be here." In fact he should be determined to make the most of his abilities and to make the team win. He's a passenger. Always has been.

That said, I do think this is great idea, well worth trying. "Kid, this is your ticket to huge production and a huge payday. This is your new job. Do it or die." One of the best suggestions in this thread :thumbs_up:

they're saying we need more of a "net-front presence"..hmmm, wasn't dustin penner looking for a tryout last month?

Yes and surprisingly in my mind still is. I have always thought he would be a great net presence. I don't know who we would get rid of though.

travis moen could be shipped out for a 4th rounder..bournival can be sent down(since we're not using him :wall: ) and voila, room for penner to get in there and park his big ass in front of the net. maybe that'll get max and dd going..disappointed in them thus far.

Yeah-- everybody knows exactly what will happen . The problem is that for PK to score he knows he has to get puck up because today's goalies take the bottom of the zone away. Who is the brave soul that is dumb enough to stand in front of one of PK's shots. It takes a special person. The bruins use Chara when they really need a goal. More presence can also mean BIGGER

Penner sucks, forget that...

Like Jeff said, too early to panic, 3-1 played 4 games in 6 nights on the road, I'm happy with that, since we haven't even played to half our potential.

We are missing is a little grit, and a PP coach that gets it.....