Tomas Plekanec #1 Center!

ICEWATER77

Since you want to deal with #2, lets deal with it. Yes I believe being strong down the middle (including a number one center) is a superior model direction in building a championship, the third step from building out from the goalie.

Kings have a balanced attack........and big two dynamite centers. Would take out the habs in four no probs. Believe they out scored us 8-0 Itwo games last season. Canadiens were not even in either game.

Maybe we will see the teams with the top 10 type centermen, be too cash strapped to field a complete roster with balance such as the Habs will have going into these next couple seasons left on Plekanec's deal?

10-12 million on that stud center like Crosby or Toews, and you're one ACL tear away from being a top contender, to a nose diving Toronto Maple Laff place in the standings because your depth is thin after the first line.

Maybe the way to look at is, that Plekanec has the skills to neutralize those type centers, game in, game out, most every game all season and playoffs too, for half the money.

With Malhotra a legitimate shut down center to take the heavy defensive load off him, he may very well score 70 points this year playing with our future top 10, homegrown, stud, bargain pay rate center Galchenyuk.

I think the Habs are closer to a contender than most realize when you consider our star goalie, D man/men(Markov too), and the balance the team has.

All we need is the defense core to gell, and mature into what it has the potential to be, and voila, number 25 is in the books... :1banana::1banana::1banana:

and a big no 1 centerman !

Guest Stogey24

the Eller line has what...... one goal?

They'll come around, bourque is once again dead weight though. He should have been moved in the off season 100%. Even if we had to take on a bit more salary in return. He's a slug

LA Kings pay top 3 centres almost $18m

Habs top 3 centres cost $12m, big difference!

so want to add an 'all-star' centre you are speaking about, wouldnt be painless.

There's been some buzz that Bourque is getting shopped around.

While house buying means absolutely nothing in most rumours (and likely this one too) Bourque purchased a home in Chicago on October 1. I think that just means he's prepared to play for the Wolves in a year or two.

Habs need to hope for a player going on the long term injured reserve to actually ship Bourque anywhere. A lot of teams have struggling players of similar character as Bourque (Moss in Arizona, Purcell in Edmonton, Stewart in Buffalo, Umberger in Philly) so it ain't like anyone is desperate for a struggling, streaky power forward.

I'd pounce on a Stewart for Bourque deal though. Not because Stewart is younger, but because Stewart is a UFA at the end of the season. Getting out of Bourque's final year would be fantastic.

There's been some buzz that Bourque is getting shopped around.

While house buying means absolutely nothing in most rumours (and likely this one too) Bourque purchased a home in Chicago on October 1. I think that just means he's prepared to play for the Wolves in a year or two.

Bourque started his career in Chicago and was there for a couple of years so there may be some family/friends out that way that he wants to spend time with in the offseason.

nick bjugstad anyone? 22 year old righty, 6'6" 220 lb centerman, drafted 19th overall in 2010...off to a shit start in fla so far with 0-0-0 pts in 5 gp. ok #'s last year as a kid. could he be had?

Doubtful. At least not this early. And if we wanted him, the Panthers would probably want Tinordi.

nick bjugstad anyone? 22 year old righty, 6'6" 220 lb centerman, drafted 19th overall in 2010...off to a shit start in fla so far with 0-0-0 pts in 5 gp. ok #'s last year as a kid. could he be had?

Vancouver supposedly wanted Bjugstad in the first round of Luongo rumors and FLA wouldn't do it.

But if we want someone that's completely overrated and sucks, we can kick the tires on Huberdeau. Probably can get Kopecky for advice.

Vancouver supposedly wanted Bjugstad in the first round of Luongo rumors and FLA wouldn't do it.

But if we want someone that's completely overrated and sucks, we can kick the tires on Huberdeau. Probably can get Kopecky for advice.

Huberdeau is going nowhere. Trading him away would kill the chances of Peledeau spending $300M to buy the Panthers out of their lease and moving the team to Quebec.

yeah huberdeau and barkov aren't going anywhere. barkov actually has passed bjugstad on the depth chart too, soooo...why not kick their tires? just wishful thinking on my part, but this kids going to be something for sure

Is very very early but, just a stat I still find hard to believe, #1 centre in the NHL on PP faceoffs, DD at 88%

(last year he was 57%, which was still good and same as Kopitar)

The stats don't show that he plays much differently in October than any other month though.

Oct: 71 points in 98 games (.72 PPG)

Nov: 70 points in 106 games (.66 PPG)

Dec: 68 points in 108 games (.63 PPG)

Jan: 69 points in 97 games (.71 PPG)

Feb: 75 points in 102 games (.74 PPG)

Mar: 73 points in 122 games (.60 PPG)

Apr: 20 points in 52 games (.38 PPG - regular season only)

Playoffs: 42 points in 69 games (0.61 PPG, April and May months combined)

From that, you can't really conclude that he's Mr. October as you've suggested before. Technically, it's not even his best month, February is. Over the first five months of the season, he's pretty much consistent throughout. He fades down the stretch before picking up his production in the playoffs to levels close to his regular season numbers. He's far from a one-month player.

2130 - Plekanic 3rd over all NHL in shifts taken by a forward last year. Only Marleau and Pavelski had more. But plekanic was 111th in points with 43. All players near or close to Pleks ice time total are all between 60 to 100 points. Now thats not a knock on Plekanic as much as it merely points out that for the Canadiens this guy takes up way too much prime ice time while not producing on it.

Let him play shut down, sure. But if he and DD are the powerplay centers (prime ice time) ......... thats a glating weakness. No not in Buffalo in November or Carolina in December....or Toronto in january........But in New York in late May......you bet it is. As we have all seen first hand.

NO # 1 CENTER ...... NO CUP

2130 - Plekanic 3rd over all NHL in shifts taken by a forward last year. Only Marleau and Pavelski had more. But plekanic was 111th in points with 43. All players near or close to Pleks ice time total are all between 60 to 100 points. Now thats not a knock on Plekanic as much as it merely points out that for the Canadiens this guy takes up way too much prime ice time while not producing on it.

Let him play shut down, sure. But if he and DD are the powerplay centers (prime ice time) ......... thats a glating weakness. No not in Buffalo in November or Carolina in December....or Toronto in january........But in New York in late May......you bet it is. As we have all seen first hand.

Quite frankly, that's bullshit.

Almost all of Pleks shifts were in the defensive zone, and he was the best damn defensive shutdown center in the entire league last year, and he did it while putting up respectable offensive numbers.

You also grossly overrate the importance of the center position. Goaltending? Nothing more important. Defense? Absolutely essential. But forwards are all pretty much interchangeable. Apart from faceoffs, nothing about a center makes them inherently more valuable than a winger. Rolling 3 "number 2" lines is always more effective than a defined 1-2-3.

Is very very early but, just a stat I still find hard to believe, #1 centre in the NHL on PP faceoffs, DD at 88%

(last year he was 57%, which was still good and same as Kopitar)

DD is the real deal. Quite frankly, I have no idea why there wasn't any Team Canada buzz around him last year.

Huberdeau is going nowhere. Trading him away would kill the chances of Peledeau spending $300M to buy the Panthers out of their lease and moving the team to Quebec.

Peladeau is currently the leader of Parti Quebecois (separatist party in Quebec).

Not that involved in anything related to hockey right now.

Other parties are trying to come up with a law that would have Peladeau drop his parts in Quebecor (media empire here in Quebec).

Quebecor would probably still go after the "Nordiques" though. Maybe not Peladeau that much. (unless he gets his ass kicked in the next general elections)

DD is the real deal. Quite frankly, I have no idea why there wasn't any Team Canada buzz around him last year.

Thought it was just me(a former DD hater) that thinks he has been playing really well, even in last year's playoffs, he brings a 6'4" effort every night, and I really believe he could create offense no matter who he played with.... gotta give him props for making it to where he is, and actually getting better all the time.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, well I guess you think the Habs would be better off without Plekanec, and yeah, we all understand that you have stats that you rely on to prove your point, but you really can't see the forest for the trees can you? I don't believe you can prove everything pertaining to hockey with stats, especially when stats can be twisted like a woman's feelings to find something wrong, or prove your point. I believe hockey is about situations, team needs and strengths, and coaching decisions.... the eye test is necessary.

Plekanec is the Habs best overall player most every night with a tough assignment. A complete player. Nobody wins every battle, but as a piece on building a contender, I think Plekanec is a very important part of that.

Would a high scoring winger take his place and bring more overall? I doubt it unless it's Stamkos caliber, Ovy for instance, wouldn't be able to carry Pleks bag overall, and would bring a negative.

How about a Phil Kessel?

No thanks.....

Not trying to pick a fight with ya bud, but we get it.... you're not a TP fan :surrender:

Thought it was just me(a former DD hater) that thinks he has been playing really well, even in last year's playoffs, he brings a 6'4" effort every night, and I really believe he could create offense no matter who he played with.... gotta give him props for making it to where he is, and actually getting better all the time.

Everybody is getting better. Personally I believe it stems from two areas: the kids naturally progressing ; and the biggy----- getting more draws (possession). The Malhotra signing is astute. I see that everybody seems to be agog for Davy today. Congratulations on scoring the winner last night. The reality is that he is on pace for 13-14 goals this year. Big Whoop. Lets hope he doubles that.

Everybody is getting better. Personally I believe it stems from two areas: the kids naturally progressing ; and the biggy----- getting more draws (possession). The Malhotra signing is astute. I see that everybody seems to be agog for Davy today. Congratulations on scoring the winner last night. The reality is that he is on pace for 13-14 goals this year. Big Whoop. Lets hope he doubles that.

Ah, but last year, Desharnais had 1 assist in his first 19 games, and finished with 16 goals, 36 assists. That's about a 1220% increase in point-per-game production over 82 compared to his first 19.

This year he has 1 goal and 3 assists in his first 7 games. If he once again improves by a factor of 1220%, he should finish the season with 572 points. :D

(Math can say the most ridiculous things.)

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

DD is the feed man. He doesn't need to put up big numbers in the goal dept. He wasnt signed for that