Who is the most untouchable Hab?

dlbalr

Since there's still a couple of days before the next game where there's not much to talk about (aside from any suggestions for the pending re-design of the site of course), it's a good time to start a topic for an ATB column next month. The question: Who is the most untouchable Hab? (In other words, if you're the GM, which one player would you most want to keep?)

I was thinking about this the other day and I don't know if it's a clear cut answer. Subban and Price are the current franchise players, Galchenyuk is thought of as the core player of the future, and Pacioretty is a high-end goal scorer making second line money for pretty much the rest of the decade, one of the better bargain deals in the league. I think there's a case to be made for any of those players (plus a couple of others who I think could warrant a mention here as well).

What say you? Which one is the most untouchable? As always, comments in here may appear on the site in the ATB column.

Since there's still a couple of days before the next game where there's not much to talk about (aside from any suggestions for the pending re-design of the site of course), it's a good time to start a topic for an ATB column next month. The question: Who is the most untouchable Hab? (In other words, if you're the GM, which one player would you most want to keep?)

I was thinking about this the other day and I don't know if it's a clear cut answer. Subban and Price are the current franchise players, Galchenyuk is thought of as the core player of the future, and Pacioretty is a high-end goal scorer making second line money for pretty much the rest of the decade, one of the better bargain deals in the league. I think there's a case to be made for any of those players (plus a couple of others who I think could warrant a mention here as well).

What say you? Which one is the most untouchable? As always, comments in here may appear on the site in the ATB column.

To me it is obvious, there is no way we can let Carey Price go, he is the rock upon which we build this church. Next up would be Subban and Patches.

Those 3 to me are the only untouchables. Every body else is trade-able at the right price. I would truly hate to see Galchenyuk or Gallagher go but for the right deal you could do it. You simply are not going to be able replace Price in the the same way we never replaced Patrick.

HR pretty much summed it up.

Price is God on this team.

Subban appears (notice i said appears) to be the big stud on d that can dominate a game.

Pacs has more 5 on 5 goals in the last calender year than any player in the league.

Since it is a slow week , if i could add to that HR commented on "for the right price" .......... not that Subban will ever get traded, but I will say he is far from the best dman in the NHL ... ... he is nowhere near where i envisioned he would be 4 plus seasons ago when he hit the league like a title wave. At 9 mill a year.............for the right price? Two years ago i would have said pk is an untouchable..................now, i have second thoughts. Price untouchable!.....Pacs untouchable!....................PK....maybe.

i know i'll get reamed for that. :bonk:

Price... hands down the coolest goalie in the league... not to mention the most talented goalie in the league.

If there is a "franchise goalie", it's Carey Price.

Remember the last time we traded a franchise goalie is the only lesson I needed...

No one.

If a GM came and offered a Stamkos for Price, Mackinnon for Subban, or maybe a Tavares for Pacioretty (given spare parts/$$/Term made sense), I would trade any of them tomorrow.

But, Price would easily be my most 'untouchable' Hab also.

Price... hands down the coolest goalie in the league... not to mention the most talented goalie in the league.

If there is a "franchise goalie", it's Carey Price.

Remember the last time we traded a franchise goalie is the only lesson I needed...

yup

No one.

If a GM came and offered a Stamkos for Price, Mackinnon for Subban, or maybe a Tavares for Pacioretty (given spare parts/$$/Term made sense), I would trade any of them tomorrow.

But, Price would easily be my most 'untouchable' Hab also.

no doubt stamkos is that elite goalscorer we crave but.....

our goaltender is impossible to upgrade at this point! why in the world would we downgrade the only player who plays 60 minutes a night for anyone not named Wayne Gretzky, Patrick Roy or Marty B?

The Habs have won 24 Stanley Cups for one simple reason.... they have taken care of their net first and built from the back forward not the forward back!!

It has taken awhile to reap the rewards of sticking with Price but if our record over the last 3 seasons is any indication..... Price is more valuable then almost all players in hockey right now..

• Upvote 1

I would rank the untouchables on the team like this ( barring of course the highly unlikely scenario of some GM losing his mind, Eg., MB fleecing MacTavish for Hall, RNH or Eberle, a prospect and their 1st for one of our players)

1. Price- gives the team a chance to win every night--it is no coincidence that when the Habs lose he has no support at all

2. Subban- If I am the Habs GM I have learned the lessons of history and I am not trading PK unless the trade is so one-sided as to be laughable

3. Galchynuk- rising young star, see PK

4. Pacioretty- a leader of the team, scorer, penalty killer and a very cap-friendly contract= see above

BTW, to my recollection MB has yet to trade a core member of our team. He has dealt declining production (Cole), a FA mistake (Briere), spare parts (Moen) , disappointing draft picks (LeBlanc) and an albatross (Bourque), but no meaningful players have yet left MTL via trade. Given his record of returns, it would be interesting to see what we get back should he ever actually trade a good player.

• Upvote 1

yup

no doubt stamkos is that elite goalscorer we crave but.....

our goaltender is impossible to upgrade at this point! why in the world would we downgrade the only player who plays 60 minutes a night for anyone not named Wayne Gretzky, Patrick Roy or Marty B?

the habs have won 24 stanley cups for one simple reason.... they have taken care of their net first and build from the back forward not the forward back!!

its taken awhile to reap the rewards of sticking with price but if our record over the last 3 seasons is any indication..... price is more valuable then almost all players in hockey right now..

You could be right. Good post

I would rank the untouchables on the team like this ( barring of course the highly unlikely scenario of some GM losing his mind, Eg., MB fleecing MacTavish for Hall, RNH or Eberle, a prospect and their 1st for one of our players)

1. Price- gives the team a chance to win every night--it is no coincidence that when the Habs lose he has no support at all

2. Subban- If I am the Habs GM I have learned the lessons of history and I am not trading PK unless the trade is so one-sided as to be laughable

3. Galchynuk- rising young star, see PK

4. Pacioretty- a leader of the team, scorer, penalty killer and a very cap-friendly contract= see above

BTW, to my recollection MB has yet to trade a core member of our team. He has dealt declining production (Cole), a FA mistake (Briere), spare parts (Moen) , disappointing draft picks (LeBlanc) and an albatross (Bourque), but no meaningful players have yet left MTL via trade. Given his record of returns, it would be interesting to see what we get back should he ever actually trade a good player.

Subban came in and contributed big time immediately. Winning the norris in his second full season. Galchenyuk not in that league. Into his third season now and not yet even thought to able to handle the center position. All the hype aside what we have seen so far is a tricky player with flashes of entertaining moves. Not like he is expected to be a fifty goal scorer. More like thirty.

I am still not trading Gally's potential unless the return is astronomical....look at the leaps taken by Forsberg and Seguin as they matured and tell me I'm wrong :) Remember he is still only 20

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

Subban came in and contributed big time immediately. Winning the norris in his second full season. Galchenyuk not in that league. Into his third season now and not yet even thought to able to handle the center position. All the hype aside what we have seen so far is a tricky player with flashes of entertaining moves. Not like he is expected to be a fifty goal scorer. More like thirty.

I wonder if we would be seeing a different player if Galchenyuk started his career playing C on the dogs(Not that I wanted that at all!). This isn't to saying Galchenyuk is not going to be an excellent player in the NHL; I just don't see him becoming that bonafide #1 centre in the near future.

Guest Stogey24

I am still not trading Gally's potential unless the return is astronomical....look at the leaps taken by Forsberg and Seguin as they matured and tell me I'm wrong :) Remember he is still only 20

Forsberg is only 20 too

The one and only untouchable on this team is Price. Without him, you can forget about ever winning a cup!

My second tier of so-called untouchables are Subban and MaxPac. Both are young and have 10 good years left.

Third tier of untouchables: Galchenyuk and Gallagher

Believed than and still do now that Chucky and his developement would have been far better off with a year in the AHL. (plus i wanted to watch him here. ha!) Team mates before him reaped the benefits. Such as Subban,Max,DD, Gally,Pleks,Price,Tevorski, .................not too mention the hundreds around the league. Dont see anything in chucky that makes him en exception. Not like he is a mckinnon, crosby, tavares,type of player.

Believed than and still do now that Chucky and his developement would have been far better off with a year in the AHL. (plus i wanted to watch him here. ha!) Team mates before him reaped the benefits. Such as Subban,Max,DD, Gally,Pleks,Price,Tevorski, .................not too mention the hundreds around the league. Dont see anything in chucky that makes him en exception. Not like he is a mckinnon, crosby, tavares,type of player.

Don't think many top 3 picks spend any time in AHL. And pigeonholing him (or Forsberg who has had 1 great month) at this stage is a lot premature, Pacioretty was also a bust to many at one time.

I think a big part of him making the team was to give the fans something to be excited about. New coach-new GM-new teenager=big bucks for Molson.

He had nothing left to learn in juniors. He was almost at a 2 ppg pace.

Keeping with my theme of hockey as entertainment, I have to go with Subban. Price holds down the fort, I think Pacioretty is the next captain and Galchenyuk is the center of the future, but PK is the Habs' identity. He was the first entertaining thing to to happen to this franchise in twenty years.

• Upvote 1

I tend to agree with Lovett's... When I read the title of the thread, my thought process went something like this: "Subban, Price, Subban, Price, Subban" so I guess I have to go with my first instinct.

I accept and even understand the fact that Price will be the popular answer here but what I don't necessarily agree with is the thought process that the only way the Canadiens can win a cup is with Price in the net. Considering he has never won the cup before, I'm pretty sure there are other goalies out there who could win the cup in our crease. Would I ever trade Price? I can't see why I would but I don't agree that he's untouchable simply for the reason that it would be impossible to win a cup without him.

I don't think this is necessarily the greatest reason either but I do believe that as a result of Subban's personality, not only would he continue to flourish with his new team if we were to trade him but I believe that he would also punish our team to a great extent every time we would face him.

Long story short, I would never want to trade either player, and I think it's pretty much safe to bet neither of them ever will be traded. What I do know is that I would hate seeing Subban and his flashy personality on another team more than I would dislike seeing Price and his calm demeanor on another squad. I could see myself still rooting for Price if he were traded. Not so much Subban.

Don't think many top 3 picks spend any time in AHL. And pigeonholing him (or Forsberg who has had 1 great month) at this stage is a lot premature, Pacioretty was also a bust to many at one time.

Doing a calculated guess based on watching him play over 100 games. Watched Forsberg dominate ay world junior, saw him play in ahl, now catching him rip it up. You may base your opinion of him from "one great month"......i however am not. Think he is a better player, and will continue to be going forward. Time will tell.

Doing a calculated guess based on watching (chucky) play over 100 games. Watched Forsberg dominate ay world junior, saw him play in ahl, now catching him rip it up. You may base your opinion of him from "one great month"......i however am not. Think he is a better player, and will continue to be going forward. Time will tell. Watched

Doing a calculated guess based on watching (chucky) play over 100 games. Watched Forsberg dominate ay world junior, saw him play in ahl, now catching him rip it up. You may base your opinion of him from "one great month"......i however am not. Think he is a better player, and will continue to be going forward. Time will tell. Watched

Doing a calculated guess based on watching him play over 100 games. Watched Forsberg dominate ay world junior, saw him play in ahl, now catching him rip it up. You may base your opinion of him from "one great month"......i however am not. Think he is a better player, and will continue to be going forward. Time will tell.

Ok so now you quote yourself and say nothing. Are you not talking to yourself?