Official MLB Discussion Thread

Quebecois

Lots of teams will do tire-kicking right now, not just Toronto. They have a few holes to fill via free agency so I'm not sure they realistically should be going after the big names anyways. I wouldn't read anything into them being linked to the big names - they'll do their homework and check on what the price would be but nothing further. It's the agent then who will leak Toronto's name to try to get a team to up an offer.

Whoops...

5 years, $82 M for Russell Martin. Looks like they're really buying into the framing (defensive runs saved) metrics as that's huge money for a catcher. The Jays also forfeit their 1st round pick to make this signing. I wonder if that means Navarro will be DH'ing a lot or if he'll be on the move.

There was a big trade today too, Shelby Miller and a decent prospect for Jason Heyward and Jordan Walden. Heyward's due for a big pay day after this season whereas Miller has a lot of team control left. The Cards can really use the offensive bump though and Walden is a nice bullpen arm. Should be a decent deal for both sides.

What won't be a decent deal is 13 years and $325 M for Stanton with Miami (with an opt out after the 5th year). It's Loria signing the deal, you just know it won't end well...

Whoops...

5 years, $82 M for Russell Martin. Looks like they're really buying into the framing (defensive runs saved) metrics as that's huge money for a catcher. The Jays also forfeit their 1st round pick to make this signing. I wonder if that means Navarro will be DH'ing a lot or if he'll be on the move.

Like to think AA is a Habs fan and reading these boards. Like to think I provoked him enough to do something. Na--- but you got to like the timing

• 2 weeks later...

While the top pitchers are waiting to sign (Lester, Shields, and Scherzer are in line for huge deals), the position player market is moving quickly. Boston scoops up Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez for big money ($41 M per year combined).

The Jays then go out and get one of the top 3rd basemen in the game in Josh Donaldson for Brett Lawrie and a trio of decent-to-strong prospects. That's the second time they've upgraded what was perceived to be a position they were content with. I like the trade but I'd like to see some attention now towards fixing up the OF, 2B, or getting pitching help.

While the top pitchers are waiting to sign (Lester, Shields, and Scherzer are in line for huge deals), the position player market is moving quickly. Boston scoops up Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez for big money ($41 M per year combined).

The Jays then go out and get one of the top 3rd basemen in the game in Josh Donaldson for Brett Lawrie and a trio of decent-to-strong prospects. That's the second time they've upgraded what was perceived to be a position they were content with. I like the trade but I'd like to see some attention now towards fixing up the OF, 2B, or getting pitching help.

That is my thought as well. The Goins experiment didn't work last year because they tried to run three rookie outfielders that couldn't hit along with him. You can carry one guy as far as offense, but you can't carry a whole bevy.

One hole for the Jays has been plugged while another opens up. They now have another MLB-calibre OF in Michael Saunders but an opening in the starting rotation as it's J.A. Happ going the other way. Saunders has had some issues with injuries in the past but can play either CF or RF (and if he can do that, I presume LF is a realistic option as well). This should free up a bit of money moving forward as well as Saunders is expected to make around $3 M while Happ's signed for $6.7 million this year.

Now, the focus needs to be pitching. Can Marco Estrada be the #5 SP? Could Aaron Sanchez get the spot already? Or, are they going to go after a starter in free agency (while trying to add to their bullpen as well)?

Elsewhere, Nelson Cruz is going to Seattle, signing a 4 year deal. At 34, the last year of that contract could be iffy but given his power, he was going to get it from someone. Nick Markakis also is leaving Baltimore, he's off to Atlanta. That leaves Melky Cabrera as probably the biggest-name OF left on the market, he's reportedly seeking a whopping five year deal.

I would still like to see Cabrera signed--- don't know how they are going to effectively replace the number two hole in line up.--- don't want another right handed hitter there

They announced yesterday that they're out on Cabrera and that Saunders will be the starting LF. As for replacing the two-hole hitter, right now it's likely Martin - though that's another RH guy.

That would be a mistake. No only do I not like the fact that he is RH, but I don't like that he is your starting catcher. A catcher has a way to much responsibility without adding producing from the 2 hole. My catcher would always bat down in the line up, and let him concern himself with just catching. There may be however "Johnny Bench" type exceptions to the rule

Seems there is an underground swell that Beeston isn't privy to. That has to put in question, not only his tenure but that of his underlings.

The rumblings there are already dying down - the talk now is that he'll stay on for this upcoming season. That should allow plenty of time to do a proper search. How the Jays do this season will likely determine the fate of others in the front office.

The first of the big name pitchers to sign is Jon Lester. He's off to the Cubs for six years and a crazy amount of money. At least he's in the NL now. With David Robertson (CWS) and Andrew Miller (NYY) off the market, the relievers should start to sign quickly. Houston signed two relievers today...why, I have no idea.

The rumblings there are already dying down - the talk now is that he'll stay on for this upcoming season. That should allow plenty of time to do a proper search. How the Jays do this season will likely determine the fate of others in the front office.

The first of the big name pitchers to sign is Jon Lester. He's off to the Cubs for six years and a crazy amount of money. At least he's in the NL now. With David Robertson (CWS) and Andrew Miller (NYY) off the market, the relievers should start to sign quickly. Houston signed two relievers today...why, I have no idea.

It is interesting that the guy that was supposed to be here long enough to hire his successor doesn't seem to be part of that process?

It is interesting that the guy that was supposed to be here long enough to hire his successor doesn't seem to be part of that process?

If the higher-ups at Rogers don't like him, they won't want him to be part of the search for a replacement.

We have got to be close to solidifying the roster with waiver pick-ups. So far, all we have seen, is the movement of deck chairs on the R.M.S. Titanic .

An awful lot of big deck chairs have been moved out and some pretty big ones have been brought in. There has been a whole lot more done than merely shuffling the deck. I'm sure they'll add a few guys on waivers while they have open spots on the 40-man roster but that will be for AAA depth.

Would you have given Cabrera 3/$42 M? I wouldn't have minded him back but Saunders, some payroll space, and the 31st pick isn't too bad of a return for him and one year of Happ.

An awful lot of big deck chairs have been moved out and some pretty big ones have been brought in. There has been a whole lot more done than merely shuffling the deck. I'm sure they'll add a few guys on waivers while they have open spots on the 40-man roster but that will be for AAA depth.

Would you have given Cabrera 3/$42 M? I wouldn't have minded him back but Saunders, some payroll space, and the 31st pick isn't too bad of a return for him and one year of Happ.

Yeah, probably i would. I am not convinced that they are at this point any better off. The question remains, as you have alluded to, have they got anything left to respond to the areas of need. Top players are coming off the board on a daily basis. Anybody seen ALEX?

Yeah, probably i would. I am not convinced that they are at this point any better off. The question remains, as you have alluded to, have they got anything left to respond to the areas of need. Top players are coming off the board on a daily basis. Anybody seen ALEX?

They don't have the money to go sign a big name - I don't think they had the money to sign Cabrera even. Let me rephrase, they don't have enough to sign another big name since they already signed Martin. This offseason, we've seen four trades and a premier free agent signing. That would put the Jays near the top of the league in terms of important activity. Don't let their quiet Winter Meetings fool you, they've been plenty active this offseason.

At this stage, they're probably looking to maximize their return in a Navarro trade and add a bullpen arm or two. They also may be in on that Japanese SS Toritani. With the exception of the latter, it may be a while for the other things to happen.

They don't have the money to go sign a big name - I don't think they had the money to sign Cabrera even. Let me rephrase, they don't have enough to sign another big name since they already signed Martin. This offseason, we've seen four trades and a premier free agent signing. That would put the Jays near the top of the league in terms of important activity. Don't let their quiet Winter Meetings fool you, they've been plenty active this offseason.

At this stage, they're probably looking to maximize their return in a Navarro trade and add a bullpen arm or two. They also may be in on that Japanese SS Toritani. With the exception of the latter, it may be a while for the other things to happen.

I am following along the same as you. Yes they have improved two positions. Yes they have probably used up most of their money. The bottom line isn't how many trades you make, but have you actually improved the team? Given the amount of budget remaining, I will stick with the deck chair reference.

Has San Diego been busy or what... Their OF now consists of Justin Upton, Wil Myers, and Matt Kemp. They've also made what seems like 20 other trades to completely overhaul their roster. They're certainly not moving deck chairs around, that's for sure. (They also seem to like injury-prone former Blue Jays as they've signed Brandon Morrow and re-signed Josh Johnson.)

I would start to believe if Toronto was the mystery bidder on Jung Ho Kung--- We just need something more to feel good about this season--- It would make a lot of sense

It's being reported that they're not the team that won the bid.