Free Agent Frenzy

dlbalr

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

27 year old UFA forward Devin Setoguchi signs with the Calgary Flames for 1 year, $750,000. Setoguchi had 11 goals, 16 assists and was a -7 in 75 games for the basement-dwelling Winnipeg Jets last year.

Before you say, "So what," take a look at some things on the Habs.

25 year old RFA forward Lars Eller signed with the Montreal Canadiens for 4 years, $14,000,000. Eller had 12 goals, 14 assists and was a -15 in 77 games for the 100 point, conference-final bound Montreal Canadiens last year.

Put it in perspective, Eller fans. We should have gone to arbitration.

27 year old UFA forward Devin Setoguchi signs with the Calgary Flames for 1 year, $750,000. Setoguchi had 11 goals, 16 assists and was a -7 in 75 games for the basement-dwelling Winnipeg Jets last year.

25 year old RFA forward Lars Eller signed with the Montreal Canadiens for 4 years, $14,000,000. Eller had 12 goals, 14 assists and was a -15 in 77 games for the 100 point, conference-final bound Montreal Canadiens last year.

The Eller signing is predicated on him improving. That's the only way it makes sense.

Or reverting to 2012-13 reg season or building off his 2014 playoffs offense.

Same salary as DD but he brings PK/faceoff/defensive skills, so even if he isn't/dosent become a #2 centre, he will a slightly overpaid nice defenisve 3rd line centre at worst.

Eller's playoff performance has to count for part of the raise here as well, you can't just use the regular season stats. There's also a reason that Setoguchi had to settle for that little on the market despite being a former first rounder. For whatever reason, he struggles with consistency and doesn't use his size well. Most players with those numbers alone get more than $750k on the open market.

Most would agree that Eller's contract isn't a bargain but these two are not comparable players.

Setuguchi is a regressing player. Eller is a player just starting to come into his own. No comparasion.

In two years, Eller will probably be a bargain, while setuguchi will probably be in Europe/khl.

Why so down on Eller?

Most likely he will have a better year and 15-20 goals/20-30 assists would seem realistic to expect from him. No?

That'd be nice. I'd really love that. He's done nothing to make me expect it, though. He hasn't been good offensively or defensively on a reliable basis. He hasn't even been able to fill the third-line shutdown role.

I know they're hoping for an improvement, but you don't gamble a 4 year 3.5 million/year contract on that. Still, optimism is a good thing. I'm still hoping to see René Bourque put 19 goals up this year - but I am not holding my breath.

That'd be nice. I'd really love that. He's done nothing to make me expect it, though. He hasn't been good offensively or defensively on a reliable basis. He hasn't even been able to fill the third-line shutdown role.

I know they're hoping for an improvement, but you don't gamble a 4 year 3.5 million/year contract on that. Still, optimism is a good thing. I'm still hoping to see René Bourque put 19 goals up this year - but I am not holding my breath.

Agreed on everything, except the foolish act of hope invested in the human slug René Bourque. We've been through it all several times, but I share your unease about Eller. Sure, he could become a better hockey player - he could 'break out' - but I've just seen too many of these inconsistent aw-shucks-aren't-I-a-tease players to be wholly optimistic. You make an important point in reminding everyone that it's not just Eller's offensive numbers that were bad, he was mediocre defensively too. Nowhere to go but up, I guess.

Up eh, he already is easily the #1 forward in hits (25th in NHL for centres) and blocks and is Habs #1 man on faceoffs, so you cant expect that part to improve more?