Edmonton wins draft lottery & McDavid

habscout

i cannot believe the luck of the Oilers to get this pick. Now will they move one of their other forwards to get a decent defenceman and/or goalie?

At least Toronto didn't get it.

Did you see McDavid walking to the studio for his interview after the lottery. Sure didn't look happy going to that clown organization.

i cannot believe the luck of the Oilers to get this pick. Now will they move one of their other forwards to get a decent defenceman and/or goalie?

I am sure they will find a way to fork this one up as well.

MacTavish went and told Eberle, Hall, and Nugent-Hopkins that they won't be moved earlier this week. (It's believed the same sentiment was expressed to Yakupov.) Whoops.

I was kind of hoping for Columbus to get it. That would have been poetic, the one team in the top half of the lottery that didn't openly tank to get rewarded for actually trying. If not them, Arizona was my next preference.

Is McDavid really THAT good? I remember hearing MacKinnon wad the next Crosby as early as 2010, and McDavid right after he was drafted. Not that MacKinnon isn't awesome, he's a solid PPG center as early as next year, but is McDavid worth throwing am entire season?

I wouldn't know, I've only see him play at the WJC and a few Erie games here and there on the NHL Network. He looked pretty ordinary against kids a year older than him, a good player but I would be pissed if the Habs jumped through all the hoops Buffalo did.

Is McDavid really THAT good? I remember hearing MacKinnon wad the next Crosby as early as 2010, and McDavid right after he was drafted. Not that MacKinnon isn't awesome, he's a solid PPG center as early as next year, but is McDavid worth throwing am entire season?

I wouldn't know, I've only see him play at the WJC and a few Erie games here and there on the NHL Network. He looked pretty ordinary against kids a year older than him, a good player but I would be pissed if the Habs jumped through all the hoops Buffalo did.

I remember reading back at the MacKinnon draft of an informal poll one of the networks did (TSN?). Given the choice to either take MacKinnon and have him available that season or take McDavid but have to wait two years to play him, all scouts/GM's asked said they'd take McDavid and wait. Expectations for him are a lot higher than they were for MacKinnon.

Maybe adding McDavid and Draisaitl will help finally make a difference.

Sabres likely not terribly disappointed with Eichel, he should be a super pick also.

I watched Bill Daly show, card by card, the results of the lottery. Did not even see the actual lottery. I guess you need fourteen teams in it to make it an event. It was kind of a bogus production, for me at least. Personally, i would have left it at five teams, with the caveat that you couldn't appear in the lottery more than twice in a five year period; if you did you would automatically be the sixth pick.

The NHL has to stop letting teams bust and draft top 5 in successive years. Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Draisaitl, Nurse, Gagner and now McDavid.

Come the FFFF on.

I don't get all the negativity. So Edmonton gets yet another #1 overall pick - where's the injustice in that? Hasn't that organization suffered enough (albeit from self-inflicted incompetence) to deserve it? Would any of US want to endure what Oilers' fans have had to endure in order to get all those picks, with - still - no sure end in sight to the nightmare of badness? I sure wouldn't. Let Edmonton have McDavid. Better that he be in the Western Conference anyway, if he's as good as they all say. And in any case, no organization in hockey is as likely to f**k it all up as Edmonton, so this is a good outcome as far as I'm concerned. Just imagine if TO had won (*shudder*)

TO would of screwed it up worse, Oilers only been a gongshow for 20 years, unlike Leafs.

But love that a smaller Canadian market gets him and not an American franchise. :thumbs_up:

And that 30th place team missed out again after dressing an AHL roster for last bit of season.

I don't get all the negativity. So Edmonton gets yet another #1 overall pick - where's the injustice in that? Hasn't that organization suffered enough (albeit from self-inflicted incompetence) to deserve it? Would any of US want to endure what Oilers' fans have had to endure in order to get all those picks, with - still - no sure end in sight to the nightmare of badness? I sure wouldn't. Let Edmonton have McDavid. Better that he be in the Western Conference anyway, if he's as good as they all say. And in any case, no organization in hockey is as likely to f**k it all up as Edmonton, so this is a good outcome as far as I'm concerned. Just imagine if TO had won (*shudder*)

I don't like rewarding incompetence.

I hear you. I think its moronic to give a franchise multiple top 3 picks more than once in a 3 yr period. Arizona should have the first pick. At least the second to get American born Eichel. Buffalo has TONES of young talent. Edmonton. I feel I could manage them better. Dumping more young assets as yet to be introduced to the NHL into an over saturated ill organization. Another market would be beneficial to the league. Balance. Besides, Arizona is in constant financial struggle and could use a budding superstar more than anything.

Imo the Habs are beyond fortunate to have Price and Galchenyuk. Anomalies as seasons reap studs.

And, as much as I loathe The Boronto Makebelieves. I miss the days of Roberts, Sundin, Niewendyk, Jossph etc when the rivalry had teeth. Imo there is only so long you can kick someone while they're down. That market could also use a budding superstar to jolt some life into its dry veins. As much as I hate to say it, but it would only be good for the league.

Oilers.. The NHL's Bernie Madoff..

Terrible comparison to Madoff.

Arizona & Florida folding would be great for the league and a good start to more entertaining hockey.

Edmonton has trouble attracting any top UFAs, so need to at least get them through the draft, good for them to win lottery again!

I'd rather fold the Oilers and give Edmonton a new expansion team in three years as punishment to ownership for being terrible at running a sports franchise.

Cant disagree have been terribly run, likely still are, but got more sympathy for them than I do Fla, Arizona etc.

Cant disagree have been terribly run, likely still are, but got more sympathy for them than I do Fla, Arizona etc.

Arizona will eventually move to Las Vegas. It's the best (worst?) kept secret in the league. Everyone can feel it happening in two, three years.

Florida should move to Quebec City if the Panthers owners give up at any point on the arena.

I'm a bit more intrigued with what Edmonton will do now since MacTavish and company are out the door (in terms of the hockey ops department at least) with Chiarelli at the helm. Those promises to the young forwards that they won't be dealt are out the window. I suspect they'll make a bit more noise in the trade department in the coming months as a result.

I guess Cirelli aint scared to deal away top prospects, so it might be very interesting to see how plays out, now to may really try and bolster defense and net.