When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

I still don't get it. Without Price, the Habs are not winning the Cup, period. So why go out and spend millions on a backup in case he gets hurt? What's the point? The only scenario where this makes sense is if Price suffers an injury that will put him out for many weeks, but also positioning him to return in time for the playoffs. Then I can see the argument for a 1A backup, as a guy with whom we can at least scrape into the playoffs before Price takes over. That seems like a pretty specific set of circumstances to me.

100% my thought, we spend on the top 6 now, if we clear cap we use it for the top 6, if we have spare cap we use it on the top 6, we need 2, or at the very least 1 significant addition to the top 6. Everything else can be status quo, and with a not so crazy year of injuries we should see a serious jump in performance.

100% my thought, we spend on the top 6 now, if we clear cap we use it for the top 6, if we have spare cap we use it on the top 6, we need 2, or at the very least 1 significant addition to the top 6. Everything else can be status quo, and with a not so crazy year of injuries we should see a serious jump in performance.

Yup get 2 top 6 ers, and if by some miracle you still have money, get a defenceman.

Yes, I expect the Habs to be the big 'surprise' of next season as - assuming MB makes the right moves and Price stays healthy - we rip the league up.

Yes, I expect the Habs to be the big 'surprise' of next season as - assuming MB makes the right moves and Price stays healthy - we rip the league up.

I plan on betting them to win either the conference or cup at incredibly juicy odds

Bob Hartley just became available... (I don't really like this human being though)

The guy who turned down the Habs because he thought the Flames had more potential in 2012? No thanks. Another Jack Adams winner who got it because he "turned a team around" instead of being the best coach in the league.

Hartley maybe just didn't get the truculence out of lineup that Bonehead Burke wanted, or maybe he suggested Burke stop combing his hair with a pork-chop.

• Upvote 1

I said in a podcast before and I said on the forums: I thought that Therrien should, and would, be fired for his failure to adapt his system to his players and for a lamentable, putrid, power play over multiple seasons.

Given that this did not happen, I think MB has to do everything in his power to add a legitimate replacement for Therrien right now. IMHO, we should sign one or more of Boucher, Crawford or Hartley. Otherwise, the inexplicable Sylvain Lefebvre is theoretically the next coach of Les Habitant and I don't think even the most ardent Therrien hater wants that.

While Bergevin has been harshly criticized, I think most fans overlook his most obvious failing which is to develop a succession plan for the head coaching position given the unique constraints the Canadiens put on themselves in terms of hiring coaching talent.

I believe that Therrien's successor should be on the staff or in St. Johns' right now. Further, MB should be spending some of Molson's money to sign up and coming young Francophone coaches to right of first refusal deals. Finally, if you are the greatest franchise in hockey and you limit your organization to bilingual candidates then it behooves the organization to become adept at developing elite coaching talent.

Develop future coaches? Likely is and should be very low on priority list and coaches typically get to choose their assistants don't they?

I understand that your post is true for most organizations Don, but long-term successful organizations e.g., Detroit work at these details. Also, I don't understand why you think this should be the case? Montreal limits themselves to bilingual (preferably Francophone) coaches so they have a vested interest in expanding the pool of potential coaches. I am thinking long-term here as the number of bilingual coaches appears to be decreasing.

My argument for Boucher, Crawford or Hartley to be on the staff now is a separate argument for the team to be prepared for the immediate future. What if the team tanks again for the start of next season? Will Therrien's job still be safe? I doubt it and it only makes sense to be prepared.

Hartley special teams are no better than Le Genius. Can't see the point of looking at him. Lefebvre is definitely not the answer. He really should be gone.

I would keep LeGenius over him.

The Wings GM picked Babcock's assistants in Detroit? And Habs last tried to promote a AHL coach; but, Molson cut his legs out from under him even before Cunnyworth got started and the Quebec language-nazis had a hissy fit.

The Lefebvre thing is bewildering. The AHL coach should be a guy who, in principle, could be ready to replace your NHL coach at some point. This doesn't mean you have to hire him when the time comes; it just means he should be a serious, viable candidate for the gig. Yet in three years or whatever it's been, I don't think I've read a SINGLE positive assessment of Lefebvre's performance. I dunno, maybe he is excellent a developing players rather than winning hockey games. But it's a legitimate point so say that we should get ourselves an elite francophone coaching prospect running the Ice Caps. This only makes sense, especially for this organization with its unfortunate 'affirmative action' policy vis-a-vis coaches. Nothing seems to indicate that Lefebvre is such an elite coaching prospect.

As for Therrien himself, it's a dead horse. Hartley is not self-evidently superior to MT and neither (IMHO) is Boudreau. He's the guy, get over it.

I think you are misunderstanding me. I am suggesting that the Canadiens add an experienced, French speaking coach to the staff to help with the power play. They could be a consultant a la Craig Ramsey, I don't care, but we need Therrien replacements in the system for the short and long term

You know it is a funny thing that all coaches are hired to be fired. I wonder why, since we have this affirmative action program that we don't develop french speaking assistants and ice cap coaches. We are going to need a replacement who speaks french eventually, it would seem the prudent thing to do. Why hire an anglophone, teach him everything, refuse to hire him as a head coach and send him on his way to coach a rival. As in Gallant and Muller. Seems stooopid to me.

No to Hartley!! I wasn't happy that MT and Hartley were the main choices when MT was hired. What i find interesting is that Hartley took the flames to the 2nd round misses the playoffs. Had lousy specialty teams, GM didn't provide a goalie and he gets fired, because the flames recognize they need a new voice to move forward.

Hmm, sounds similar to what we went through in Montreal. MT of course gets a free pass, because he's someone that MB wants to be in a foxhole with.

The guy who turned down the Habs because he thought the Flames had more potential in 2012? No thanks. Another Jack Adams winner who got it because he "turned a team around" instead of being the best coach in the league.

No to Hartley!! I wasn't happy that MT and Hartley were the main choices when MT was hired. What i find interesting is that Hartley took the flames to the 2nd round misses the playoffs. Had lousy specialty teams, GM didn't provide a goalie and he gets fired, because the flames recognize they need a new voice to move forward.

Hmm, sounds similar to what we went through in Montreal. MT of course gets a free pass, because he's someone that MB wants to be in a foxhole with.

To me it was a case of Hartley being a victim of his own success. Calgary is/was terrible and he got them to the second round. He set the bar too high for himself with the roster he had and now anything short of that is deemed a failure. A guy can't win coach of the year, and the next year be considered crap with essentially the same team. We're sitting here talking about coaches, man. Not the players that play the game, the coaches.

I think you are misunderstanding me. I am suggesting that the Canadiens add an experienced, French speaking coach to the staff to help with the power play. They could be a consultant a la Craig Ramsey, I don't care, but we need Therrien replacements in the system for the short and long term

No, I get what you mean (I think). But the Bouche, Crawford, Hartley's are unlikely to take AHL or NHL assistant job are they? And so back to the Q where AV, Therrien, Julien and the rest all started (I think) and add a Q-coach to staff. if that is what you mean. Dlbalr also mentioned the Jets have a francophone assistant who may fit the bill.

Vincent might fit the bill as well. It just bothers me that there is no obvious successor to MT in the system and I would prefer we have a veteran coach in the wings in preparation for MT's inevitable departure. I think anyone of the guys I named would take a jobs with the Habs given the right incentives

Hartley's flames team has finished below Therrien's Habs in every single year of their tenure's.

Just saying.

Well as I recall they weren't supposed to be in the playoffs last year, but they kept winning them 1 goal games. Something we are not so good at.

Yeah they had a really high shooting percentage... and they won a disproportionate number of one goal games.

Two things that are largely seen by most analysts as luck, not some skill that was repeatable. Hence why they crashed back to earth this year.

There is a case to be made that this year's flames was actually a better team than last years, one that simply didn't get the same level of good luck and good bounces they got in 2014-15.