Florida at Montreal game #80 April 5 2016

DON

Don't wanna tease myself with that! 1 in 20 chance seems OK

But am I correct in that is also a lottery draw for #2 and #3 picks...or something like that?

One guy said he ran lottery simulator 100 times and Habs made top three picks 25 times and 1st 7 times.

I don't recall Julien being unusually whiny with us.

It's actually part of the occupational culture in Beantown going back a long way. The Prunes have always, always suffered from a persecution complex, especially when it comes to the Habs.

I suspect that when Julien leaves that setting, he'll drop the whiny baby routine.

I don't see The Claude as a particularly good coach. When people say it is a sideways move I think of him. Not much better than Le Genius in my opinion. AV I like, Crawford I like, Carbo I like. Of course I have no idea who else may be available. and is more talented. I want a guy who supports his players and who can run a P/p. I want a forking cup real soon.

Like with Vignault, I don't have a clue why either were fired by Habs in 1st place? And who is a good, average or poor coach seems hard to judge.

I don't see Julien coming to the Habs. He's more likely to take a job in Ottawa if fired.

Melnyk is a cheap bastard, if its us or the Sens (and we are interested); he would make a lot more money in Montreal.

Julien was an André Savard hire. Gainey decided to keep him on, because Julien impressed him, but obviously Julien wasn't 'his' guy, and when the team - which was a bad team - struggled, he eventually replaced the Ugliest Coach in the World with himself, while grooming Carbo to take over the head coaching duties. Which subsequently happened.

That's how I remember the story, anyway.

Carbo has many defenders, but what I remember is a team whose game plan consisted mainly in hoping Kovalev played well, and a team eventually quitting catastrophically on the guy. Even his post-mortems were filled with comments about how he couldn't communicate worth a damn. Non merci to a Carbo re-hire.

Julien was an André Savard hire. Gainey decided to keep him on, because Julien impressed him, but obviously Julien wasn't 'his' guy, and when the team - which was a bad team - struggled, he eventually replaced the Ugliest Coach in the World with himself, while grooming Carbo to take over the head coaching duties. Which subsequently happened.

That's how I remember the story, anyway.

Carbo has many defenders, but what I remember is a team whose game plan consisted mainly in hoping Kovalev played well, and a team eventually quitting catastrophically on the guy. Even his post-mortems were filled with comments about how he couldn't communicate worth a damn. Non merci to a Carbo re-hire.

Well we agree mostly but I think Big Bob realised after he fired Carbo that Carbo was not the problem, so he fired 1/2 the team including Koivu. It was a massacre I tells ya. Carbo was a winning coach. I don't know if i would call Julien the ugliest coach in the world but I would call him the funniest looking. He would have fit right in with the 3 stooges.

Well we agree mostly but I think Big Bob realised after he fired Carbo that Carbo was not the problem, so he fired 1/2 the team including Koivu. It was a massacre I tells ya. Carbo was a winning coach. I don't know if i would call Julien the ugliest coach in the world but I would call him the funniest looking. He would have fit right in with the 3 stooges.

Carbo was a winning coach, but his 'winning' mostly coincided with Kovalev's sudden decision in 2008 to play like the franchise player he always had the potential to be. Then Kovy turned into a pumpkin and the team quit on Carbo in '09, and it's true that that may say as much about the character of the team as about the coach, but at the end of the day there is no obvious reason, other than language, to consider Carbo - who never coached again - a serious candidate to coach this team now.

I maintain that we need a proven, accomplished coach. AV if available. Julien if available. Crawford. In that order.

Ugliest Coach in the World...well, between Julien, The Count, and now Therrien, we've accumulated quite a track record in that respect. All three are candidates for the Butt Ugly Coach Award. Then again, coaches as a category do seem do be uglier than the average middle-aged male (which is not exactly a high bar to begin with). I don't know if it's the stress of the job, or what.