End of Season Presser 2015-16

DON

Only one or two top picks in recent years were traded for roster players, Schneider was just a dumb move by Canucks. So that may seem like an option, it is highly unlikely to happen.

Habs signed Petry, so ended up with not enough cap room to entice a top-6 upgrade. But that now is spun into Bergevin did nothing during free agency and twiddled his thumbs, knowing full well what the team needed.

When in fact he made multiple offers and some were overpayment, which Lebrun didn't dispute yesterday.

But, if a Justin Williams simply prefers to go to Washington instead, what can you do? Toss stupid term or cash at him, is that what we mean by being aggressive and end up with a David Clarkson Leaf-type deal?

Don , this is the status quo argument which didn't sit well at seasons end. The Chicago's of the world seem to be able to bring what they need every year despite being hard against the cap. I thought MB was one of their disciples, but apparently not.

Only one or two top picks in recent years were traded for roster players, Schneider was just a dumb move by Canucks. So that may seem like an option, it is highly unlikely to happen.

Really? It's not an option to trade picks for roster players? A 2nd and a 3rd got us Petry. Flynn and Mitchell were traded for picks then signed. Seems like this is a preferred trade method for the Habs.

Not including players that were traded and not signed afterwards at the trade deadlines:

Kyle Palmieri for 2nd/3rd

Lucic-Jones/Miller/1st

Brandon Pirri-6th

Brett Connoly-2 2nds

Jagr-2nd/3rd

Johnny Boychuk-2 2nds

Sam Gagner-6th and BJ Crombeen

Linden Vey-2nd round pick

Kesler-1st/3rd 2 roster players

Jason Garrison-2nd

Marty St Louis-1st/2nd Callahan

Gaborik-2nd/3rd

Andy McDonald-2nd/3rd

Mike Weaver-5th

Brandon Pirri-5th/3rd

Joe Colborne-Conditional 4th

Bobby Ryan-2 prospects and a 1st

Kris Russel-5th

Dave Bolland-2nd/2 4ths

Michael Frolik-3rd/5th

Jonathan Bernier-2nd plus prospects

Mark Streit-4th

Sergei Gonchar-6th

Guest Stogey24

Easy Commandant. I'm not getting into an argument again about McCarron, but take it easy on the green giant. He'll have a role on this team next year. Maybe it's not in the top 6( probably not), but he adds size and strength to this roster and is always there to stand up for his teammates. CHARACTER player.

1 goal 1 assist for 2 points in 20 games... yes you are the only one who thinks Michael McCarron is an immediate solution to the fact the Habs can't score.

Any predictions on how Matteau can fill a top six void too?

I didn't say mcCarron was gonna play on our 2 scoring lines....

Galchenyuk and plex are top 2 C ...

I'd like to see him maybe play in the 3 Spot and try and move Eller.

Reway and lehkonan. one on the 2nd and the other on the 3rd.

Due away with DD as in off the team...

To say reway is a lost cause is just foolish at this point. Watch the worlds and tell me he wouldn't be a good add...

Habs signed Petry, so ended up with not enough cap room to entice a top-6 upgrade. But that now is spun into Bergevin did nothing during free agency and twiddled his thumbs, knowing full well what the team needed.

When in fact he made multiple offers and some were overpayment, which Lebrun didn't dispute yesterday.

But, if a Justin Williams simply prefers to go to Washington instead, what can you do? Toss stupid term or cash at him, is that what we mean by being aggressive and end up with a David Clarkson Leaf-type deal?

This isn't about last year, it's about this coming year. MB went after Williams, which suggests he believed he could make cap room for a top-6 W even after signing Petry. Nothing has changed in that respect. Therefore, he can, and should, make a similar attempt this year, with a deeper talent pool available.

Now, if UFAs don't want to sign in Montreal, that's an obvious problem. But I don't believe that to be true.

You seem to be confusing "UFA signings" with dumb UFA signings: as if all such signings are dumb by definition. But the choice isn't between guys who don't want to play here, and David Clarksons. MB's job this summer is to acquire a LEGITIMATE UFA who will help our team, preferably to a non-crippling contract. That shouldn't prove to be impossible.

As for whether our pick can prise away a top-6 FW, it would depend on other considerations. We'd need a team that either has a surplus of top-6 talent - rare to be sure - or a team that is entering 'rebuilding' mode. I don't know who potential suitors would be. Personally, I'd much rather we sign a UFA and *keep* the top-10 pick. The more talent you have in the pipeline, the easier it is to manage the cap that has you so worried, because you can ship out overpaid guys and replace them with quality up-and-comers more readily.

Easy Commandant. I'm not getting into an argument again about McCarron, but take it easy on the green giant. He'll have a role on this team next year. Maybe it's not in the top 6( probably not), but he adds size and strength to this roster and is always there to stand up for his teammates. CHARACTER player.

Putting him in the NHL next year assures he will never develop his offense as he'll always be in a bottom line role getting 6-8 minutes per night.

If you want to develop the forward version of Douglas Murray, I guess it would be good to keep him up.

He scored 3 goals in his last 26 AHL games..... AHL.... he's clearly not ready; doesn't matter how big he is.

Putting him in the NHL next year assures he will never develop his offense as he'll always be in a bottom line role getting 6-8 minutes per night.

If you want to develop the forward version of Douglas Murray, I guess it would be good to keep him up.

He scored 3 goals in his last 26 AHL games..... AHL.... he's clearly not ready; doesn't matter how big he is.

I agree he's not ready. Which isn't a bad thing. Charlie Hudon wasn't ready last year either. He might not be ready this year. Same goes with Martin Reway and Lehkonen. Some guys don't put together the psychology of hockey at the NHL speed until 23/24. Doesn't make them bad prospects. I saw a lot of good in what McCarron brought in his games so another year in the AHL with a couple call-ups will be good.

(Also I find it hilarious that anyone would harp on a prospect not scoring goals with the Habs when the post-December Habs was the worst goal scoring team in the NHL. Nobody on the team could score save for maybe five players. I guess we got an entire team of Douglas Murray's by that logic.)

To say reway is a lost cause is just foolish at this point. Watch the worlds and tell me he wouldn't be a good add...

In terms of his status as a prospect, sure, he's not a lost cause. But when you consider that he has had little to no contact with the Habs in the last couple of years (according to him at various times) and Reway's recent comment that he's well aware that he's a year away from being an NHL UFA, the odds of him actually signing seem to be getting slimmer and slimmer. In that case then, he's a bit of a lost cause in that it would appear he's likely not going to ever play in Montreal. Knowing that, I wouldn't factor him into any roster discussion for next season. (I hope to be wrong on this, by the way.)

Lovett, trading future picks in standard trade is different than trading a top 10 pick for a roster player at the draft. Just dosent happen, I appreciate the time you spent listing deals but you misunderstood (or I worded poorly...again) what I meant.

I would bet is just about zero chance that the Habs do not use their pick and deal it away instead.

Schneider deal was an oddity; but, New Jersey was holding draft, had little excitement in recent years, poor attendance and just lost Bradour, so Lou wanted to make a splash.

CC; Bergevin made offers, but after signing Petry he likely had limited cap room to sweeten offers? He only signed Semin and Kassian and don't think he had a ton of room after that.

In terms of his status as a prospect, sure, he's not a lost cause. But when you consider that he has had little to no contact with the Habs in the last couple of years (according to him at various times) and Reway's recent comment that he's well aware that he's a year away from being an NHL UFA, the odds of him actually signing seem to be getting slimmer and slimmer. In that case then, he's a bit of a lost cause in that it would appear he's likely not going to ever play in Montreal. Knowing that, I wouldn't factor him into any roster discussion for next season. (I hope to be wrong on this, by the way.)

So Brian what is the story with Reway? He doesn't want to play in the nhl? He doesn't want to put his time in? I don't know much about him, apparently talented but he keeps going back.

Guest Stogey24

Reway could have been at Habs camp last year, but decided to sip pina colads poolside instead(even posted a pic of it on Facebook).

I'm gonna catch some flack here, so let me start by saying I don't like DD on the top lines, I don't support his PP time last season, and he gets too much ice time. I agree with all of these things. Having said that, DD is one of the few players on the team (when he is on is game) who has the vision to set up unexpected plays in the offensive zone. Subban and Markov being the other two. I haven't seen enough of Reway to say with certainty that he is that type of player, but from what I have seen, he has a ton of vision and offensive ability. On a team void of top six depth, I wish they would give him a shot next year. Give him a shot and see if he can perform in the NHL. If he can't, let him walk.

Reway seems like such a head-case, unless he is guaranteed top six spot, likely will say "no thanks, I think I will sign with NY next year instead."

I think he sees himself as the next Kovalev or Jagr.

Well, I'd be pissed if he became even half the player jagr is, on another team after we didn't give him a chance

Reway seems like such a head-case, unless he is guaranteed top six spot, likely will say "no thanks, I think I will sign with NY next year instead."

I think he sees himself as the next Kovalev or Jagr.

Well, I'd be pissed if he became even half the player jagr is, on another team after we didn't give him a chance

Habs have given him plenty of chances to come over. He's rejected them. Andrighetto was in Europe just like him, came over to the AHL, now he's in the NHL. Lehkonen is in Europe, went to camp, now he's a top prospect for us likely coming over next year. Reway wants to do none of that. It's possible he doesn't want to play in Montreal period. What do you do?

Beregvin seems unlikely to just say 'Here you go kid, who do you want for a centre Galchenyuk or Plekanec?"

(Reway has 1a in 3gms for Slovacs in Euro Cup, Russians smoked em 6-0 today)

Have we offered him an opportunity it to come to camp, with understanding, that if he shows he belongs, he plays in the NHL, otherwise he can go back to Europe, rather than the AHL?

Habs have given him plenty of chances to come over. He's rejected them. Andrighetto was in Europe just like him, came over to the AHL, now he's in the NHL. Lehkonen is in Europe, went to camp, now he's a top prospect for us likely coming over next year. Reway wants to do none of that. It's possible he doesn't want to play in Montreal period. What do you do?

Have we offered him an opportunity it to come to camp, with understanding, that if he shows he belongs, he plays in the NHL, otherwise he can go back to Europe, rather than the AHL?

It's rare that European prospects come over for September training camps without an actual NHL contract already signed. European club teams generally don't like letting their signed players go without a contract; most international leagues are into their regular seasons at NHL camp time. They did invite him for the July camp though and he went on a vacation instead.

They do have that option available (assign to an overseas team over the NHL) provided that Reway signs a contract overseas soon and then signs his ELC with the Habs prior to the international transfer deadline. I think they may wind up going that route with Lehkonen who already is signed in Sweden for next year. If they do that and he doesn't crack the Habs, they could loan him back there instead of the AHL.

I got no problem with a European player making a deal so he either plays in the NHL or goes back to Europe. Who might, and I've heard this is a big sticking issue to a lot of NHLers, are guys that try to demand NHL or nothing. If Reway got pushed up to the roster and went scoreless or had a bad defensive play, it's likely all of the AHL/ECHL alums will be ready to toss him out the door for earning nothing and not helping the team as a spoiled brat. If he earned his spot on the roster it's different from demanding a spot. You're asking for the roster to hate you.

But that's the thing. Reway can't even make it to camp. He hasn't even tried to earn a spot or show what he can do on NHL ice. You think the AHL alums on the roster will give him any quarter?

If Reway wants to be a Hab, he ain't doing it with a free pass. He has to earn it like everyone else.

This guy from what I have read is a very talented offensive player, very seldom under a point a game (once I think) Le Genius will want to put him on the 3rd or 4th line. He may as well stay over there until we find a coach.

Andrighetto wasn't in europe.

That said agreed that he's had plenty of chances to come over.

Of course Andrighetto came from Europe..but he was 18 and played in the Q for 2 years.

No one's doubting Reway has skill, but many wash outs do. It is between the ears that he seems to be lacking the most. Or is similar to Nygren and just likes being close to home/family making a good enough salary.