2016 NHL Playoffs Thread

dlbalr

There was absolutely no chance of this making the playoffs without Price. No chance. They were the worst team in the league since thanksgiving.

No trade would have fixed that, unless you swapped rosters with another team.

There was absolutely no chance of this making the playoffs without Price. No chance. They were the worst team in the league since thanksgiving.

No trade would have fixed that, unless you swapped rosters with another team.

Respectfully disagree.

Condon had maybe three good games this year. One shutout the entire year, and the Habs went I believe four months between them. Scrivens and Tokarski are AHLers. (I'll at least give Condon credit for being a mediocre backup). They could have made the playoffs with a .500 record, and instead, they were the worst team in the league during that span, with the worst goaltending.

Throughout December they outplayed the other teams and the goaltending couldn't come through. When they realized no help was coming from Bergevin, they sagged. And a season slipped away with absolutely no attempt to salvage a forty game span.

The argument against the inactivity is that Bergevin knew Price would be out long term, but he said in the press conference that wasn't the case. So what's the right answer here?

They are what they are. A terrible team without Price.

For a team that's motto is no excuses, this team, coaches and fans sure have a lot of them.

They also cough up close to 13 mill for Eller, DD and plecks and combined you barely have a 40 goal scorer.

Good post. The entire game I was wondering how the hell Detroit made the playoffs and Montreal didn't. They do play an absolute shit brand of hockey.

Speaks to just how bad our coaching is.

Detroit bugs me. They've parlayed ridiculous good fortune at the drafting table (Datsyuk and Zetterberg) - sheer, absurd luck - into this legend of themselves as the gold standard of awesomeness. And even though they haven't really achieved anything in years they're still "ooh'd" and "aaah'd" over. That's a franchise that's way overdue for a good crash if you ask me.

Look at Detroit's prospect pool for their defencemen. It's really bad. Xavier Ouellett might become a #5-#6 and he's by far their best D prospect. Deykeser signing with them was an accident more than smart strategy and scouting.

If they lose Kronwall anytime soon that blueline will drop hard for years to come.

Look at Detroit's prospect pool for their defencemen. It's really bad. Xavier Ouellett might become a #5-#6 and he's by far their best D prospect. Deykeser signing with them was an accident more than smart strategy and scouting.

If they lose Kronwall anytime soon that blueline will drop hard for years to come.

Well, that's what I want to see. With all due respect to the Kostantinov tragedy, that organization has had a gigantic horseshoe up its arse ever since. Compare that to (say), ye Habs, with key players missing entire seasons or going down in key playoff series seemingly all the damned time, it gets a bit sickening.

Guest Stogey24

I know Petry has a lot of fans on this forum, but I bet Detroit would pay a pretty penny if Bergevin dangled him.

Detroit really wanted him and I think Petry would have gone there if not for Price and Subban asking him to stay.

Petry seemed to get caught up in the excitement of a young team with some high-end talent and a really great room. After the horror show in Edmonton, Montreal no doubt seemed unbelievably awesome. The joke is on him, of course - all those positives went right down the crapper this season.

The problem with trading Petry, obviously, is that it's just patching one hole by creating another. He is an important player on our blueline, not easily replaced.

I don't think need to worry about Petry being traded.

No, I agree. I have trouble seeing ANY of our defenders being moved, really. We have a good corps, but it's not strong enough that we can subtract any major piece from it without creating huge structural problems for ourselves.

No, I agree. I have trouble seeing ANY of our defenders being moved, really. We have a good corps, but it's not strong enough that we can subtract any major piece from it without creating huge structural problems for ourselves.

except maybe emelin

Wow, is Philly ever imploding in the 3rd period tonight. 3 4 PPG's allowed, 3 misconducts, and now they're down 3 games in the series. Not a great way to honour the memory of Ed Snider...

3 misconducts - that sounds like the perfect way to honour snider!

Shaw on the top line for Chicago. But nah, playing grinders in your top six is only done by Therrien.

Yeah, he has exactly four top-6 forwards...how dare he play bottom-6 guys in the top-6 :bonk:

So many of the criticisms of Therren apply to so many other coaches, it's kind of silly.

I still regret that Crawford isn't our man, but I'm not banging my head against the wall about it.

Yeah, he has exactly four top-6 forwards...how dare he play bottom-6 guys in the top-6 :bonk:

So many of the criticisms of Therren apply to so many other coaches, it's kind of silly.

I still regret that Crawford isn't our man, but I'm not banging my head against the wall about it.

Yes you are, see fire Therrien thread.

Yes you are, see fire Therrien thread.

Don't make unwarranted inferences. I'd rather Crawford be our coach than Therrien. At the same time, I see Therrien as a perfectly decent NHL coach and am not enraged at the decision to keep him. Some of us are capable of saying (1) we think X would be an upgrade but that (2) the status quo is reasonable. See? It's not that hard.