David Desharnais in the NHL

JoeLassister

Wow long will he last?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How many more seasons do you think Desharnais will play in the NHL ?

• 1 to 2 more seasons
    • 3 to 4 more seasons
    • 5 to 6 more seasons
    • 7 + more seasons

If he can be a .5 point or more player, he will have his value and keep playing. Look at Gerbe. That guy is tiny. I watched him today, he was amazing. He backchecked Carter and saved a sure goal. He scored a beauty backhander too. That said, if he faulters for more than half a season, he will be gone.

I pull for guys like Desharnais, who so often are denied their opportunity simply because GMs and coaches make a fetish of size. But beyond this sentimental consideration, the guy can play hockey, and his intelligence on the ice - he's notable for his ability to angle and position his body so as to minimize the impact of the size differential - compensates for many of his physical limitations. With a little more seasoning, he may be worthy of a serious chance as a 2nd-line C, either with us, or some other club. And if he gets that chance and succeeds, then there's no reason he won't make a nice career out of it. He'll be harder pressed to stick around as a utility guy but I wouldn't write him off in that respect either.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of DD also, although I think he could use a game or 2 in the pressbox just to gain a perspective of what needs to be done as was done with PK earlier this year, it seemed to be very beneficial. It will also allow Halpern back into the lineup. When it's time to put DD back in he will be hungrier and wiser.

• 11 months later...