Apr. 12, Rangers vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

Ya Ya, heard same about last Tampa coach, Guy named Bouche, super duper coach. :lol:

Ah yes, Guy Boucher. The man with a dozen powerplay strategies!

Cooper is actually an excellent coach when it comes to fundamentals. Tampa has a solid system when they play and the players tend to follow it. Crazy Ryan Malone hasn't, which is why he finds himself a healthy scratch often.

Ah yes, Guy Boucher. The man with a dozen powerplay strategies!

Cooper is actually an excellent coach when it comes to fundamentals. Tampa has a solid system when they play and the players tend to follow it. Crazy Ryan Malone hasn't, which is why he finds himself a healthy scratch often.

Could be, I say a rookie coach has f-all track record and couldnt say he is good/bad yet. I might agree with you in a couple years (if still in NHL).

What is Therrien excellant at? His team kicked ass last 2 years.

Malone was weighed in at 250lbs. I also don't know where you buy 1.3 grams of yay, he was probably 2 grams into an 8 ball, or has a heavy duty habit. How do you get that fat on coke?!

For as well as these "player's coaches" do, like Carbo, Guy Boucher and Cooper, I think they have a short shelf life because the players walk all over them. It takes a hard ass like Barry Trotz, John Tortorella, Scotty Bowman or Claude Julie to last more than two or three years behind a bench.

Could be, I say a rookie coach has f-all track record and couldnt say he is good/bad yet. I might agree with you in a couple years (if still in NHL).

What is Therrien excellant at? His team kicked ass last 2 years.

yeah he is excellent just ask Sydney Crosby. I mean he had the best team in the NHL and they won the cup right? Oh they didn't ? OH. They won it with the same team and a diffrent coach? oh I see.

yeah he is excellent just ask Sydney Crosby. I mean he had the best team in the NHL and they won the cup right? Oh they didn't ? OH. They won it with the same team and a diffrent coach? oh I see.

Therrien took crappy Pens team from out of playoffs, into playoffs 1st round loss, then loss in finals, then coached for 3/4 of that cup winning season and best team in NHL hasn't had a sniff of a cup finals since then? hmmmmm... Bylsma maybe not the upgrade you think he is?

Therrien took crappy Pens team from out of playoffs, into playoffs 1st round loss, then loss in finals, then coached for 3/4 of that cup winning season and best team in NHL hasn't had a sniff of a cup finals since then? hmmmmm... Bylsma maybe not the upgrade you think he is?

Hey Don this is just for you.

Everyone familiar with Michel Therrien knows two main things.

One: He has perhaps the weirdest looking combover on anybody not named Donald Trump, and the jury is still out as to whether or not that’s a combover or a hairpiece.

Two: He likes, well, to shout—a lot.

Back in the spring of 2002, during Therrien’s first tenure as head coach of the Habs, Boston Bruin Kyle McLaren reverse-clotheslined Richard Zednik when the two teams met in the first round of the playoffs.

Therrien promptly launched into a verbal assault on the Bruins' bench and his counterpart Robbie Ftorek.

After the game, he stupidly continued in public, saying in front of the press that if Boston was going to go after his best players, he should do the same.

Crazy, I know…that Richard Zednik was Montreal’s best player at the time.

Thankfully, nothing came of Therrien’s boneheaded threats and Montreal was able to beat the Bruins without a concussed Zednik.

In Round 2 against the Carolina Hurricanes, Therrien had not yet learned from his mistakes. A bench minor with the Habs up 3-0 in Game 4, and up 2-1 in the series, gave the Hurricanes a two-man advantage and allowed them back into the game. The Canes eventually won it and the following two.

Awesome.

Here’s hoping history doesn’t continue to repeat itself, as much as Montreal could use another trip to the second round.

Habs rule, we did still beat the Bruins, on the strength of a great round by Koivu, Therrien was right to say what he said in that case. The bench minor vs Carolina, yep, I'm still pissed about that, but then again, I thought it was a weak call by the ref at the time, total BS.
This year, Roy freaked at Boudreau, and personally, I loved it, and would love it as a player, if I saw my coach take up for us players like that. It's not always a negative to be emotional is it? If you think it is, then I'm wasting my breath, or typing....

But Don's still kickin' yer ass with that statement...

At some point it has to come down to the players getting it done, mistakes cost you the game/series, and making plays can win you the game/series. Every failure is not the coaches fault, With Pittsburg, Fleury made that last needed save for Bylsma, and he wasn't the savior for Therrien, and Therrien didn't have a Lidstrom either. Playoff hockey most often comes down to breaks, injuries, goaltending, toughness, resiliency, and mostly execution by the players, a coach can only do so much. Do you not remember our supremely coached by Pat Burns Habs, handing over the cup on the Forum ice for the first time in history to the Calgary Flames? We were outplayed, by a better team that year....
Habs have been a pretty consistent team this year, and they have been well prepared for most games, 90+% of those games. Scotty F****in' Bowman couldn't have gotten more than 100 points out of this roster. I do admit that Price is the main reason we got 100 points, but the roster isn't a 100 point roster without being coached decent.
So many fans are still focused on how poorly the 100 point Habs are coached, heading into the playoffs, I think maybe you overly negative people should just chill out and see what happens, and enjoy the playoffs and the success we have had this season. If we are badly outcoached, and MT's the reason we lose, then you can feel free to say I told you so, I for one will shut up and take it. But, for now, it would be really nice if you guys would be just a tiny bit positive until there is no reason to be, then it can be your turn to rant and go on, you know, when something negative actually happens, outside of your head I mean..... :gohabsgo:

yeah he is absolutely a genius. BTW I love finding this shite for you.

Genius, never have gone quite that far, just not a moron and got few complaints.

Its all good and do think they will squeak by Tampa in 6 or 7 and just hope is a good, fast, hard-hitting series.

Drop the friggin puck already! Hockey shouldnt be played in f-in June, I even got my wedge-game in shape by then and is prime salmon season by then!

It's kind of a snow globe effect.

Go almost anywhere on the Internet and speak with Penguins fans. They'll tell you how much they hate Bylsma, how he gets too much credit for the Cup win, how they prefer having Therrien back, how Therrien was only unliked by veterans who were gone after the Cup, etc. Malkin was the only young player who had gripes about him and that was because Therrien wanted him to play better defence. Crosby loved him and still only has complimentary things to say about how Therrien would push him to be just a little better every game. It was veterans like Hal Gill whom I adore but Gill would just want to play his game and was sick of all of the coaching. I can understand both sides there.

You know what Penguins fans are saying these days? Thank god for Jacques Martin. Many want Martin to take over the coaching reins. That's how they feel about Dan Bylsma. They think he gets caught in line mismatches too much. They think he's outcoached every game. They know Iginla was never coming back after being expected to play left wing and not on Crosby's line when he came in a trade.

But in our snowglobe of Hab fandom, Dan Bylsma is the guy who did what Therrien couldn't and that means he's a better coach.

Now trust me, I don't forget the season. I don't forget Therrien's handling of Subban, his constant playing of Bouillon and Murray. I don't forget the chances he's given Rene Bourque and how long it took for him to let the kids play the powerplay. I don't forget the second period collapses or the team looking like they were on the penalty kill for 10 minutes in just about every game. I don't forget how Tomas Plekanec isn't allowed to have a regular line anymore or how it seems like every time a youngster (Beaulieu, Leblanc) would play 15+ minutes one game, they'd play under 10 the next and be sent back to the AHL. He's certainly flawed. But he isn't the worst coach in the league.

I've discussed it before, but he's a middleground coach. If I had to rank:

Top 10: Babcock, Quenneville, Ruff, Sutter, Hitchcock, Trotz, Tippett, Roy, Cooper, Julien

Middle 10: Nolan, McLellan, Berube, MacLean, Therrien, Boudreau, Vigneault, Yeo, Maurice, Richards

Bottom 10: DeBoer, Bylsma, Carlyle, Torterella, Hartley, Eakins, Horacek, Muller, Capuano, Oates

Trotz still makes Top 10 without a team. Some of the unemployed guys like Laviolette could probably make it over the bottom six.

ok guys you all love MT, it's all good, what I posted was quote from a sports writer, apparently he is as stupid as I am. I can tell you that if you were to look at my historical posts you would find that I supported Guy Carboneau, Jacques Martin, Bob Gainey. My point being that to call me negative is not necasarily true. I do not think MT is a good coach. As to the pens thing my point was he had the best team in hockey and couldn't get it done. The thing is if all you look at are the points in the standings then yeah he is a good coach, but if you look at how the team got those points you would realise that he had little to do with it. Everybody believes that Scotty Bowman was a great coach, but really I think Don could have coached most ot those years and won. They were the best team ever seen in history. I believe we have a very good team, Vanek has been a godsend, the answer to my prayers. With him we have a shot at a cup. As long as MT doesn't screw it up. Does anyone really believe that Glen Sather is a great hockey guy? All he had to do was say hey Wayne get on the ice. But look how many rings he has. I think everyone knows that Glen Sather is a joke as a GM. He has singlehandedly driven salaries through the roof. As to Illwill you can kiss what you think I am kicking.

As to Illwill you can kiss what you think I am kicking.

So much for not responding to me :lol:

To paraphrase your logic: The team wins because of it's players and loses because of the coach

I'm starting to think you are just making all this crap up to get a response from people

ok guys you all love MT, it's all good

Well that's an exaggeration but not surprising.

As to the pens thing my point was he had the best team in hockey and couldn't get it done.

These kind of statements are poisonous in all forms of sport. It undermines the team that beat them (Detroit) and makes it seem as though it's entirely the coach's responsibility to win. You say this right before:

The thing is if all you look at are the points in the standings then yeah he is a good coach, but if you look at how the team got those points you would realise that he had little to do with it. Everybody believes that Scotty Bowman was a great coach, but really I think Don could have coached most ot those years and won.

So which is it? Is it Therrien's fault the team didn't win the Cup or is it not Therrien's fault because he has little to do with the team? Does he have little to do with the Habs? Which way are you going with this?

So much for not responding to me :lol:

To paraphrase your logic: The team wins because of it's players and loses because of the coach

I'm starting to think you are just making all this crap up to get a response from people

Actually there is a lot of truth to that. Most of you don't get that I love playing the devils advocate and having fun with the reactions I get. Jeez guys it is just a game.

Well that's an exaggeration but not surprising.

These kind of statements are poisonous in all forms of sport. It undermines the team that beat them (Detroit) and makes it seem as though it's entirely the coach's responsibility to win. You say this right before:

So which is it? Is it Therrien's fault the team didn't win the Cup or is it not Therrien's fault because he has little to do with the team? Does he have little to do with the Habs? Which way are you going with this?

yes

Actually there is a lot of truth to that. Most of you don't get that I love playing the devils advocate and having fun with the reactions I get. Jeez guys it is just a game.

yes

Pushing people's buttons is all fine and dandy, I know I am mostly just thick-headed and 100% agree that is just a game and shouldnt take stuff too serious.

Go Habs Go.

Pushing people's buttons is all fine and dandy, I know I am mostly just thick-headed and 100% agree that is just a game and shouldnt take stuff too serious.

Go Habs Go.

Don I like you, even though I tease you to the max. While I am a Habs fan to the core, I also understand that there is fork all I can do to change the teams fortunes. These blog/forums are great, you can say the most outrageous things and people will respond. What the heck it is all in good fun as far as I am concerned, I have always been a practical joker. I really enjoy pulling Illwills leg cause he takes it so seriously. I illwill continue to ignore him. :rofl: There are people on this site that I really respect their viewpoints. I try to provide a different viewpoint only because if we all agree there is no point to the site. The only thing anyone has to know about me is that there is no bigger habs fan in the world. :habslogo:

• Upvote 1

It's kind of a snow globe effect.

Go almost anywhere on the Internet and speak with Penguins fans. They'll tell you how much they hate Bylsma, how he gets too much credit for the Cup win, how they prefer having Therrien back, how Therrien was only unliked by veterans who were gone after the Cup, etc. Malkin was the only young player who had gripes about him and that was because Therrien wanted him to play better defence. Crosby loved him and still only has complimentary things to say about how Therrien would push him to be just a little better every game. It was veterans like Hal Gill whom I adore but Gill would just want to play his game and was sick of all of the coaching. I can understand both sides there.

You know what Penguins fans are saying these days? Thank god for Jacques Martin. Many want Martin to take over the coaching reins. That's how they feel about Dan Bylsma. They think he gets caught in line mismatches too much. They think he's outcoached every game. They know Iginla was never coming back after being expected to play left wing and not on Crosby's line when he came in a trade.

But in our snowglobe of Hab fandom, Dan Bylsma is the guy who did what Therrien couldn't and that means he's a better coach.

Now trust me, I don't forget the season. I don't forget Therrien's handling of Subban, his constant playing of Bouillon and Murray. I don't forget the chances he's given Rene Bourque and how long it took for him to let the kids play the powerplay. I don't forget the second period collapses or the team looking like they were on the penalty kill for 10 minutes in just about every game. I don't forget how Tomas Plekanec isn't allowed to have a regular line anymore or how it seems like every time a youngster (Beaulieu, Leblanc) would play 15+ minutes one game, they'd play under 10 the next and be sent back to the AHL. He's certainly flawed. But he isn't the worst coach in the league.

I've discussed it before, but he's a middleground coach. If I had to rank:

Top 10: Babcock, Quenneville, Ruff, Sutter, Hitchcock, Trotz, Tippett, Roy, Cooper, Julien

Middle 10: Nolan, McLellan, Berube, MacLean, Therrien, Boudreau, Vigneault, Yeo, Maurice, Richards

Bottom 10: DeBoer, Bylsma, Carlyle, Torterella, Hartley, Eakins, Horacek, Muller, Capuano, Oates

Trotz still makes Top 10 without a team. Some of the unemployed guys like Laviolette could probably make it over the bottom six.

Peter Horachek deserves more credit. When Dineen was fired, every player on the ice was dogging it, and he didn't have a system. The Cats looked like they didn't have a coach, much like Toronto the last 25 games of the year.

Peter De Boer is a great systems coach, but he made a crucial error this year platooning Brodeur/Schneider. Platoon goal tending never works. When Boston had the best goalie in the league (Thomas) and the fifth through tenth goalie in the league (Rask) it was clear Thomas was the top dog. Price crumbled with Halak.

In my mind, the hatred of MT is personal for some. Some people feel like managers can't make mistakes. (God forbid they discipline a player)! This carries over into people's lives, imo. I'm a manager myself, and employees think they're perfect. They do no wrong, and they think they need to be treated a certain way. It's impossible for a coach to treat 20 players twenty different ways. Nothing shuts people up like performance. Therrien has done his part.

Don I like you, even though I tease you to the max. While I am a Habs fan to the core, I also understand that there is fork all I can do to change the teams fortunes. These blog/forums are great, you can say the most outrageous things and people will respond. What the heck it is all in good fun as far as I am concerned, I have always been a practical joker. I really enjoy pulling Illwills leg cause he takes it so seriously. I illwill continue to ignore him. :rofl: There are people on this site that I really respect their viewpoints. I try to provide a different viewpoint only because if we all agree there is no point to the site. The only thing anyone has to know about me is that there is no bigger habs fan in the world. :habslogo:

Hey HR, I wasn't specifically calling you negative, I realize you like to push the envelope, and troll for takers, all fun. I have ran a busy 500 member discussion forum for 5 years on fly fishing, and I recognize your thing you do, all fun and it is a game, I enjoy the shiat out of you bro....realize, you get trolled too bud.

Signed,

another biggest Hab fan in the world! :habslogo:

• Upvote 1

Hey HR, I wasn't specifically calling you negative, I realize you like to push the envelope, and troll for takers, all fun. I have ran a busy 500 member discussion forum for 5 years on fly fishing, and I recognize your thing you do, all fun and it is a game, I enjoy the shiat out of you bro....realize, you get trolled too bud.

Signed,

another biggest Hab fan in the world! :habslogo:

yeah I know but what the fork, it's all about having fun.