Proposed 2014-2015 Lineup

JGC21

Eller put up 30 points and people were ready to gift him the first line center position.

Desharnais put up 28 points and people were fine if he waived the next year.

We're a fickle bunch.

and Plekanics games disappears every play off.

both DD and Pleks have been poor play off performers

That's right and it's the reason why I firmly believe that centre is our weakest position. I can't wait to see Chucky as our 1st line centre.

That's right and it's the reason why I firmly believe that centre is our weakest position. I can't way to see Chucky as our 1st line centre.

I second that! However Therrien has him on the wing with Plekanic as his center. Nobody has scored from Pleksanics wing since Kovy. MT will be forced to break that line up. Like last season when the entire hockey world knew not to put Vanek on with Plekanic MT did it any ways. It lasted five poorly played periods. I give the Pleks, Gally, Chucky line three games. Secak will replace Parenteau (not a first line skater) with DD and Max. One of the five centers has to be moved to the wing. Plekanic is the logical choice. Chuck to center. No brainer.

I second that! However Therrien has him on the wing with Plekanic as his center. Nobody has scored from Pleksanics wing since Kovy. MT will be forced to break that line up. Like last season when the entire hockey world knew not to put Vanek on with Plekanic MT did it any ways. It lasted five poorly played periods. I give the Pleks, Gally, Chucky line three games. Secak will replace Parenteau (not a first line skater) with DD and Max. One of the five centers has to be moved to the wing. Plekanic is the logical choice. Chuck to center. No brainer.

I doubt that the Plekanec's line will work, but so do I about the DD's line. I am quite sure that the 3rd and 4th lines will do better than last year, but our our top lines remain doubtful to me. Let's just hope that I am wrong.

DD didn't get a lot of points in the playoffs, but I felt he played well. And I commented at the time that pretty soon, nobody would remember his good play because his stats were mediocre. Anyway, I dispute that he is a playoff dud, just as I do with Pleks.

• Upvote 1

DD didn't get a lot of points in the playoffs, but I felt he played well. And I commented at the time that pretty soon, nobody would remember his good play because his stats were mediocre. Anyway, I dispute that he is a playoff dud, just as I do with Pleks.

We can't have both centering the top lines. IMO, DD would be a good 2nd line centre. If you look at the best teams in the league, he would not be able to play higher. As for Plekanec, he certainly has no business as a 1st line centre and again would not be able to make it on the 2nd with many top tier teams. I agree that having him as our 3rd line centre would mean that we would be very strong up front. Unfortunately, it won't happen. My prediction is that it is his last season in Montreal. Next year, hopefully, we should have Chucky, DD and Eller centering our first three lines.

So when that team next year plays, say, Chicago, who do you send out to stop the Toews line?

Price? :halm:

I agree Chucky needs to be number one sometime soon, but

Plek needs to be 3rd line center...

Not many 3rd centres make $5m/yr, he is a steal at that salary, plays key PK role, almost most SH icetime (3rd) of all centres and #1 centre minutes overall (22nd).

Would be a bit much to ask DD or Galchenyuk to fill his role.

People make way too much of this #1, 2, 3 ranking of C. This team simply isn't built that way. It's a team built to roll three more-or-less comparably effective lines (although those lines do have distinctive strengths and weaknesses), along with a good, fast 'energy' line. We win by sending wave after wave of good, fast, skilled players at you (along with PK Subban/Markov driving the transition and having Price stop the puck like a madman) not by rolling out one Big Line. Once you start seeing it that way, the whole issue of whether Pleks or DD are 'legitimate' #1 centres evaporates. It's not whether Pleks or DD are 'better' than Crosby or Stamkos (they aren't, obviously). It's whether our roll-three-lines approach can defeat the more top-heavy approach of teams that are built on the more traditional model. That is the issue we should be debating, not whether DD is an 'ideal' #1 centreman.

Most NHL teams today run three line attacks. The ones who don't are because they are either so crappy they don't have enough players to spread across three lines or they are so stack heavy they can't spread the players.

The Pittsburgh Penguins this year are for the first time since their Cup run working a three duo system (Crosby/Kunitz, Malkin/Hornqvist, Sutter/Bennett) and even that's a team that's really just top six heavy. The Chicago Blackhawks and Los Angeles Kings are both teams with clear, evident first line centers but both play a top nine system.

The Toronto Maple Leafs also play three line attack, even if the third line involves a defensive player (Komorov), a small center (Santorelli) and a failing power forward (Clarkson). The whole reason Santorelli was signed was because he played well in Vancouver's top six last season and was a bit of a sleeper in Florida. They can put Kozun in the top six with Kadri and Lupul instead of forcing Clarkson in the top six. Komorov is going to work a lot like when Prust played with Galchenyuk and Gallagher. Clarkson, until proven otherwise, is their Rene Bourque with less offensive output at a higher price.

The responsibilities of every three line attack is different. For Montreal, right now, it's this:

Line One: Primary offence. Deployed vs. weak lines at home, faces strong lines on road. Primary PP.

Line Two: Secondary offence. Primary defence. Deployed vs. top lines at home and on road. Secondary PP.

Line Three: Tertiary offence, tertiary defence. Deployed vs. weak lines at home, weak lines on road. Rarely PP time.

That could change once Galchenyuk is the top center, or change through a trade changing the team dynamics. But right now, things work like this:

Line One: A Scoring, D Defence

Line Two: B Scoring, A Defence

Line three: C Scoring, C Defence

Line four: D Scoring, B Defence

That's why Plekanec gets the most minutes and is considered the most "important" center, but not the "number one" center.

• Upvote 1

After a dozen of games, we'll be more able to see if Sekac can handle defensive duty.

If he is, then I would not dislike a line of Bourque - Eller - Gallagher... with Galchenyuk - Plex - Sekac...

After a dozen of games, we'll be more able to see if Sekac can handle defensive duty.

If he is, then I would not dislike a line of Bourque - Eller - Gallagher... with Galchenyuk - Plex - Sekac...

Sekac could make things extremely interesting.

If Parenteau falters in a top line role, Gallagher will likely go right back with Patches and DD. Parenteau would probably first move with Plekanec to see if there's any traction. But if Sekac is still one of our better forwards during that time, the team will get him PP time.

His flexibility on the left or right is really good if he transitions to a good NHL game.

Guest Stogey24

Montreal is trying this in practice today:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Sekac

Bourque - Eller - Parenteau

I actually really like that third line

I actually really like that third line

Yep, me too, Parenteau looks way better than Briere ever looked for the Habs already, and seemed to have some chemistry with these guys last night.

Briere was a completely redundant player - a small, declining C on a team with heaps of up-and-coming C who are already better than he is.

Parenteau fills a gigantic positional need, i.e., top-6 winger.

That he is also a superior player doesn't hurt either.

Briere was a completely redundant player - a small, declining C on a team with heaps of up-and-coming C who are already better than he is.

Parenteau fills a gigantic positional need, i.e., top-6 winger.

That he is also a superior player doesn't hurt either.

The hate he gets bewilders me. Today someone tried to claim Pascal Dupuis was a better player.

The hate he gets bewilders me. Today someone tried to claim Pascal Dupuis was a better player.

Well, Briere WAS a signing that made no sense at all, given the make-up of the team. That sort of thing - eating up $4 mil in cap space, no less - tends to spark irritation in the fan-base, especially when it's added to the strong suspicion that the signing was a result of ownership meddling for idiotic PR reasons. Factor in the usual hullabaloo from the French media treating this has-been like some sort of triumphantly returning superstar, and you've got a perfect recipe for fan backlash. Briere could have neutralized all of this by playing like a top-6 FW, but since he did not, the whole thing unfolded as everyone around here predicted.

Anyway, it's old news. Zoot Suit spun dross into...well, maybe not gold, but at least silver, given that Parenteau looks like he'll be quite a useful player for us. Unlike Briere, he may be a classic case of a guy who fell on the outs with a coaching staff and just needed a new start in order to produce up to his traditional levels. Time will tell, of course; maybe that's too optimistic a reading. But he always seemed to be a bit of an underrated player.

• Upvote 1