The Battle for Two Defence Spots

Commandant

Based on play thus far... as much as I want to say Tinordi (because...that size would be such an asset), Pateryn's my current pick. That could change.

If I'm trying to develop all three of them, there's room for one regular this year.

Next year, Weaver's contract is up. If Tinordi's defensive play has picked up by then, he's ready to fill that role.

The year after, Gilbert's contract is up. I would hope within 1 or 2 seasons, Beaulieu is ready to actually put some points up on the board.

Guest Stogey24

these 3 are killing me! one day it's tinordi stepping up, then it's beaulieu, and then pateryn! I wish one of them will grab this opportunity by the throat and take it!

Beaulieu and Pateryn both looked good last night. Beaulieu is so offensively minded though, it makes me wonder how he would look playing wing every so often...?

Based on play thus far... as much as I want to say Tinordi (because...that size would be such an asset), Pateryn's my current pick. That could change.

If I'm trying to develop all three of them, there's room for one regular this year.

Next year, Weaver's contract is up. If Tinordi's defensive play has picked up by then, he's ready to fill that role.

The year after, Gilbert's contract is up. I would hope within 1 or 2 seasons, Beaulieu is ready to actually put some points up on the board.

I think you've captured EXACTLY what MB has in mind.

And as seemingly the most matured and balanced of the three, Pateryn could indeed sneak up the middle this season.

ICE makes the point that none of these guys is consistently excelling so far. That's the whole thing with prospects/rookies. It's one thing to have the talent, it's another to be able to reliably deploy it at the NHL level. That's why I am always cautious about projecting big roles for such players in any given season. And remember, this is just the preseason - they're not even competing against REAL NHL opposition yet.

As much as I wanna see Tinordi be the 6th d-man this year, I don't think he's ready yet. Beaulieu and Pateryn seem to be closer to Montreal than Tinordi is...but we still have 5 pre-season games left...maybe Tinordi can prove me wrong.!?! We all know that big d-men always take longer to develop. I just hope the Habs will be patient with him and don't do something stupid like trade him.

I was really hoping to see Tinordi a regular as well, but I think maybe Pateryn is ahead of him, and Beaulieu is NHL ready offensively at least....

Not much time left for Tinordi to prove he belongs this year, at least not ahead of Pateryn thus far.

Guest Stogey24

Obviously the rookies have question marks beside them, but the one guy I don't have much faith in is Alexi Emelin. If he has any type of season like last I'm pretty worried about him playing top minutes

I'm dissapointed a bit with Tinordi. I was hoping that he would show up better than this. He still has time to elevate his game though. Training camp is not over yet.

Thing is :

we don't really need a Pateryn, we have plenty of Pateryns.

we kinda need a Beaulieu, we have Subban, Markov and Gilbert, but a reliable Beaulieu would be nice.

we DEFINITELY need a Tinordi. We crave for Tinordi's. We so much need a reliable Tinordi, I don't even have the words to express how much having him would be awesome.

Emelin - Subban

Markov - Gilbert

Beaulieu/Tinordi - Weaver

Pateryn

My defense would be:

Emelin - Subban

Markov - Gilbert

Beaulieu - Weaver

Drewiske

Bouillon gets cut & Tinordi/Pateryn get sent down. With the first injury on defense, then either Tinordi or Pateryn get called up.

My defense would be:

Emelin - Subban

Markov - Gilbert

Beaulieu - Weaver

Drewiske

Bouillon gets cut & Tinordi/Pateryn get sent down. With the first injury on defense, then either Tinordi or Pateryn get called up.

That seems like a pretty good bet, but does Le Genius agree?

I'm dissapointed a bit with Tinordi. I was hoping that he would show up better than this. He still has time to elevate his game though. Training camp is not over yet.

Thing is :

we don't really need a Pateryn, we have plenty of Pateryns.

we kinda need a Beaulieu, we have Subban, Markov and Gilbert, but a reliable Beaulieu would be nice.

we DEFINITELY need a Tinordi. We crave for Tinordi's. We so much need a reliable Tinordi, I don't even have the words to express how much having him would be awesome.

I'm not sure how that's the case. Right now, Pateryn has more offensive and defensive upside than Beaulieu. What exactly does Beaulieu in his current state bring to this team? He's not actually going to be helping offensively, yet.

I'm not sure how that's the case. Right now, Pateryn has more offensive and defensive upside than Beaulieu. What exactly does Beaulieu in his current state bring to this team? He's not actually going to be helping offensively, yet.

Beaulieu is a better offensive player at the NHL level than Pateryn IMO.... he's got more tools... better skater, better shot, better passer etc. I'm not sure that Pateryn's AHL offence translates to the NHL.

On top of that.... we need a LHD, not a RHD in the top 6. Pateryn has never played his off-side, neither has weaver. So I think its Beaulieu-Weaver to start the year.

Now for the 7th D i see Pateryn ahead of Tinordi.

I really haven't liked what I've seen out of Tinordi this pre-season. He seems a half-step behind. He's too hesitant, too scared to make a mistake and is not making plays as a result.

Guest Stogey24

Beaulieu is a better offensive player at the NHL level than Pateryn IMO.... he's got more tools... better skater, better shot, better passer etc. I'm not sure that Pateryn's AHL offence translates to the NHL.

On top of that.... we need a LHD, not a RHD in the top 6. Pateryn has never played his off-side, neither has weaver. So I think its Beaulieu-Weaver to start the year.

I really haven't liked what I've seen out of Tinordi this pre-season. He seems a half-step behind. He's too hesitant, too scared to make a mistake and is not making plays as a result.

I thought he's had an alright preseason. He had a pretty good game last night too. Couple good pinches, some solid hits. His size is going to factor in on the depth chart too, Montreal needs his grit in the line up IMO

Obviously the rookies have question marks beside them, but the one guy I don't have much faith in is Alexi Emelin. If he has any type of season like last I'm pretty worried about him playing top minutes

You do realize that Emelin was playing on his off side all season last year, right? - and what a handicap that can be for a defenceman - ? (And even so, he still kicked ass and took names in the playoffs).

Zoot Suit brought in Gilbert in part with an eye to empowering Emelin to play on his correct side.

So I think pessimism about #74 is unfair at this point. Cautious optimism that he can return to being the Emelin of 2013 is entirely warranted.

Guest Stogey24

You do realize that Emelin was playing on his off side all season last year, right? - and what a handicap that can be for a defenceman - ? (And even so, he still kicked ass and took names in the playoffs).

Zoot Suit brought in Gilbert in part with an eye to empowering Emelin to play on his correct side.

So I think pessimism about #74 is unfair at this point. Cautious optimism that he can return to being the Emelin of 2013 is entirely warranted.

Its his IQ I worry about. He would pinch at the wrong time and constantly chase the puck. That has nothing to do what side your playing. The biggest thing when your playing your off side on D is skating backwards when there's a rush into your own end. I'm not going to completely lose faith in Emelin, I'm just saying he could be a weak link

Emelin has never been a perfect defender but he needs a lot less bailing out than other Markov partners.

He can have a really bad game from time to time but I think his average game is more than competent enough. He's also the one guy I feel didn't get enough credit for his play in the postseason.

Also playing with Subban on the LD instead of Markov on the RD would be a transition period for anyone.

Emelin will be fine, we can't forget it's been a long process for him to get back after the torn knee ligaments. His play was getting better after his return when in the playoffs as MoLG said, and this is only camp, no need to assume he won't get back to being a steady defender, and the leader of the hit train, and the Habs need that type of play from him. When he is out there, other teams avoid him, his play will get steadier as the season gets started I'm sure of it.

Pateryn and Tinordi have good points each, but I think we need a Tinordi type more, but I have seen that Pateryn is a decent hitter, and has a pretty good all round game.

However, I do hope that Drewiske can be the #7 now for the team(Beaulieu in lineup), as I am fully converted to the mindset of some of you guys to start them both Tinordi and Pateryn in the AHL, or if their play in camp, or injuries makes it impossible to send them down. I was a big supporter of maybe rushing them and I have to say, I digress, you guys are right... :thumbs_up:

Nygren, no thanks....

I'm not pessimistic, I just don't think he has the tools to face top lines with Subban.

On the plus side, Subban-Emelin might be the most infuriating defense pairing in the entire league.

Well, we'll see. To be worth a spot on the blue-line, Beaulieu's gotta be good for about 30+ points, and try not to suck too much in his own end. (So far, in all his games at the NHL level, he's been so bad in his own end we'd have been better off putting a cardboard cutout of Lyle Odelein in his place in hopes it scares opponents back into their own end.) I can't see the kid getting more than 12-15 points out of 82 games played.

Pateryn is already defensively adequate. Which means he can get by with a few less points than Beaulieu. He also easily contributes 10-15 points. 7 or 8 of those will be goals.

So far this preseason has done nothing to change that - Pateryn appears to be the better player right now. And he should be...he's had 2.5 more years to develop. Beaulieu could be an impact player the way Pateryn never will with another year or two of training. You can't get that training by being thrown to the wolves at the NHL level.

I have got the feeling that Tinordi will get the spot. Listening to MT after last night's game, I concluded that he wants him in the line up. My opinion is that he will get a fair chance. We are lucky, Pateryn and Beaulieu, and even Dietz, are not far behind. With Drewiske at Hamilton, we don't need to sign Bouillon.

As for Nygren, it all depends of his commitment to learn how to play our kind of game. The guy has an unbelievable shot, is a good skater and makes a decent pass. But does he have the grit to play here?

Don't forget that we also have guys like Thrower, Bennett and Ellis at Hamilton. I doubt that anyone of them will be ready this season or the next one, but they might help for a few games if we get too many injuries.

these 3 are killing me! one day it's tinordi stepping up, then it's beaulieu, and then pateryn! I wish one of them will grab this opportunity by the throat and take it!

I would start with Tinordi, based upon the needs of the Habs. Beaulieu stills needs to add strength imo. He needs a bit more weight too. And he can and should put it on. Pateryn is a prototypical perfect injury replacement. Bioullion should be sent down to develop these guys imo. Is he on a two way. I imagine not? so, he can ride pine and be the 8th, who never plays until there are injuries. I like his game still, although many do not. But it's time to develop these guys.

Btw - Deitz might be the guy when it's all settled. He is highly under estimated imo. He could be the most ready with the most upside.

But I REALLY like Tinordi's presence. Is he really that undisciplined when it comes to penalties though? Beaulieu still seems to need more time to work on some things.