Habs claim Jeff Halpern off waivers

dlbalr

It's a good move, Halpern-Moen-Armstrong is a great fourth line, but I would rather see a crash/bang/fight energy line, instead of a "percentages" line, that's out there to win faceoffs, and not lose last change matchups on the road. Part of why I watch hockey is to be entertained. Seeing these guys out there for ten minutes a night will provide me the same level of stimulation as hitting the snooze button on my alarm.

It's a good move, Halpern-Moen-Armstrong is a great fourth line, but I would rather see a crash/bang/fight energy line, instead of a "percentages" line, that's out there to win faceoffs, and not lose last change matchups on the road. Part of why I watch hockey is to be entertained. Seeing these guys out there for ten minutes a night will provide me the same level of stimulation as hitting the snooze button on my alarm.

If they were to add an energy guy later, they may be able to have the best of both worlds and play matchups. Against the tougher teams, go with the grit; against less physical teams, go with the 'percentages' trio. I don't think that would be a bad strategy to be honest, especially if the Habs are looking to shore up depth wise.

Rumors are that Clowe is playing with an injured shoulder. Colour me uninterested. The guy has 0 goals, and I don't think he's going to get back to being a 20 goal guy until he takes care of the injury.

My take on this is if he's playing hurt, his number this season drop his value. Seems to me like a good trade to make, while his value is low, if MB is making a trade for the future and not just a rental. After the season, he gets his shoulder fixed and we have a 55pts per season player for cheap. As long as we don't give up impactful roster players for Clowe, it's win/win. He plays until he needs surgery and next season we have a 100% Clowe.

My take on this is if he's playing hurt, his number this season drop his value. Seems to me like a good trade to make, while his value is low

It's a sellers market.

Brenden Morrow has been terrible this season, looks almost done and Dallas was able to create a value war between Pittsburgh and Boston to get Joe Morrow and a second out of the Penguins. Boston was offering Alexander Khokhlachev who could definitely play top six in the NHL in a year or two.

Clowe being hurt doesn't hurt his value. It might hurt the amount of suitors but teams are still going to offer San Jose too much for him. Last I heard the price didn't drop and that was a 1st or 2nd round pick along with a prospect. Quality of the prospect changes the draft pick. Pretty much similar to what Morrow got.

It's a sellers market.

Brenden Morrow has been terrible this season, looks almost done and Dallas was able to create a value war between Pittsburgh and Boston to get Joe Morrow and a second out of the Penguins. Boston was offering Alexander Khokhlachev who could definitely play top six in the NHL in a year or two.

Clowe being hurt doesn't hurt his value. It might hurt the amount of suitors but teams are still going to offer San Jose too much for him. Last I heard the price didn't drop and that was a 1st or 2nd round pick along with a prospect. Quality of the prospect changes the draft pick. Pretty much similar to what Morrow got.

To boot, their GM is a notorious tire kicker, and if he and Chris Stewart are on the market, he'll go for a discount. If only Clowe is on the market he'll still get 4.5 mil. I still think letting Staubitz go was a mistake, even Ottawa has a heavyweight. I don't care about "staged fights" most fans are against them, but they still entertain me. What kind of a band are the Habs, if they don't have an opening act!?

To boot, their GM is a notorious tire kicker, and if he and Chris Stewart are on the market, he'll go for a discount. If only Clowe is on the market he'll still get 4.5 mil. I still think letting Staubitz go was a mistake, even Ottawa has a heavyweight. I don't care about "staged fights" most fans are against them, but they still entertain me. What kind of a band are the Habs, if they don't have an opening act!?

Well we do usually score early but it seems that won't quell your thirst for blood and concussions ;)

• Upvote 1