Free Agent "Frenzy"

dlbalr

That guy is a year older, a year stronger, and a year more experienced.

Don's uncle Mike has him penciled in for top 2 center duty this year I betcha... ;)

That guy is a year older, a year stronger, and a year more experienced.

Don's uncle Mike has him penciled in for top 2 center duty this year I betcha... ;)

That is definitely a good thought, but I do not hav as much faith in uncle Mike as you and Don do.

• 4 weeks later...

In about 40 minutes, another notable name will hit the market, D Robbie Russo. He had 15 goals and 26 assists in 40 games with Notre Dame last year. I wouldn't call this another Justin Schultz situation but there are going to be a ton of teams that will be after him. The way Chicago has added a bunch of college free agents, I wonder if he'll be headed out there.

Mike McCarron's brother will also be a UFA at that time. (I thought he had one more year of college eligibility for some reason.) The Habs will also technically lose the NHL rights to Josiah Didier though he has been signed to an AHL deal already.

It's a pretty weak crop of August 15 UFA's this year (as it is pretty much every year) but a couple of other names to perhaps monitor are Blake Coleman (PPG player at Miami-Ohio last year where he was a teammate with Habs prospect Colin Sullivan) and Michael Parks who had two straight 30 or more point seasons at Notre Dame alongside Montreal prospect Mark MacMillan. I wouldn't expect anything more than tryout deals for them though. Russo is the one guy who there will be a bidding war for.