Gomez playing in ECHL?

REV-G

I get that they were operating in the existing system, but NO ONE in the league had any interest in Gomez, other then Gainey.

Sportsnet did a special on the Leafs that year which had Brian Burke talking about looking into acquiring Gomez and said he'd have to outbid several other teams. So yeah, that's not true.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that they were operating in the existing system, but NO ONE in the league had any interest in Gomez, other then Gainey. The prevailing wisdom was that Sather would have to throw in other players to get rid of the Gomez contract, Gainey instead offered our top defensive prospect. I guess we should be thankful that his proposed sub an, Pleks, plus others for cousin Vinny was shot down by the stupid Tampa ownership. Gainey also didn't seem to know how the system worked when we lost hainsey and beaches in for nothing. Traded riviera for a washed up Lumme, grabs for some pucks.

Ditto with PG. NO ONE wanted Kaberle's contract. He didn't even get any pucks for SK74. No one wanted Bourque. Kelly Hrudy skewered him on national television 3 weeks in a row and he was a regular whipping boy of the Calgary media. I still think Cammy would have had value on the deadline or the draft.

Both Gainey and PG were operating in the existing system, but they were operating like milbury, rather than say Holland or lamirillo. In my opinion the only thing that separates PG from Houle is that Houle was allowed to hold onto his job a lot longer.

holy smokes habs29 have we ever had any players that you like?

holy smokes habs29 have we ever had any players that you like?

Don't see what's to be surprised about. Mgmt has made a lot of lousy moves over the last 5 years. The only two moves of PG that I liked was the signing of Cole and the Gill trade. The only clear wins IMO of the Gainey trades were the deal that got us Kovolev and the Rivet trade. Some will include getting Huet as a positive and the trade of Huet as a negative, but frankly I never really was a Huet fan, so I'm indifferent to that move.

To answer your question, Pleks, price,maxpac, subban, Markov, gorges, DD, cole, Eller, white, weber and diaz are the only guys from last year's roster that I'd want to see back. Yes gionta is not on the list, he is one of the guys I would have moved with Cammy to get high picks before the last draft and if there is a season and if it looks like we are out of it, I'd try and snag a high pick for him and another prospect. I like Gionta, but with DD in the lineup and Galleghar waiting in

the wings, we can only have so many midgets.

recent habs I hated for us to lose are Koivu (should have retired a hab), ak46, sk74. I know most here hate the Kosty brothers.

Interesting. He comes off as a great teammate with a ferocious desire to win. Calling Price the greatest goalie in the world was also revealing.

Who knows, maybe his problem has been trying too hard to find his game. I never know what to make of quality players whose game just collapses. It happened with Theodore, with Higgins - who has since recovered, after 2-3 years toiling in the wilderness - and even with a guy like Paul Mara, who had a couple of years as a high-scoring defencemen with Phoenix only to degenerate into a marginal NHLer. Gomez is a spectacular case of an impact player with a dashing skill set who just lost it, seemingly while still in his prime years, almost overnight. It's mysterious and I always feel kinda bad to the guys it happens to (but I'm sure Gomer's $7 mil salary helps him to sleep comfortably at night, and ultimately I feel worse for myself as a Habs fan forced to endure Gomez's descent into uselessness).