Waite, Lacroix, Daigneault, and Jodoin get 3 year extensions

dlbalr

As I was doing the links this afternoon, I stumbled on a note that said that all of Montreal's assistant coaches have received three year extensions according to Renaud Lavoie.

Original report (in French, look at the bottom): http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?21563

I don't want to read into anything here, but they could of re-upped their Hamilton staff and chose not to at this point.

I don't want to read into anything here, but they could of re-upped their Hamilton staff and chose not to at this point.

interesting.

MB was in hamilton the other day. Spectator interviewed him. Gave coaching staff a vote of confidence. Fans of the Dogs disappointed in that. The four years before MB and Lefebre took over the Dogs they were ranked no 4 in ahl over that time. Going to game 7 of semis twice. Since Lefebre was hired they have the worst record in the AHL over those seasons. Some have been hoping for changes.

Win-loss record isn't just a coach thing in Hamilton, seems has been conscious decision by Habs not to have more top AHL vets on roster and to simply go with more youth. dlbalr will rightly point to numerous 'odd' decisions by Lefebvre, but I think his hands are still a bit tied to simply try and win more.

Win-loss record isn't just a coach thing in Hamilton, seems has been conscious decision by Habs not to have more top AHL vets on roster and to simply go with more youth. dlbalr will rightly point to numerous 'odd' decisions by Lefebvre, but I think his hands are still a bit tied to simply try and win more.

Well they are tied to the extent that he takes his marching orders from Montreal. He is told what to do in terms of systems etc.and I guess he is doing a good job of that. The winning and losing apparently is not that important.

I just get the feeling that Bergevin told Lefebvre, "Don't worry bout wins/losses, I want to build a new team culture from ground up and team may struggle for awhile, you up for that?"

(or could be he simply is one bad coach as dlbalr suggests?)

I just get the feeling that Bergevin told Lefebvre, "Don't worry bout wins/losses, I want to build a new team culture from ground up and team may struggle for awhile, you up for that?"

(or could be he simply is one bad coach as dlbalr suggests?)

or both Don.

MB did say that while winning is obviously important , "the hamilton bulldogs purpose is to make the montreal canadiens better, and they are doing that". I agree with dbalir though, do not think Lefebvre has a future as a head coach.

Its is night and day at the games compared to a few years back, from 2001 on the dogs were a great team to watch, win or lose. A championship in 06, a game seven loss in finals, two semi final game 7 losses. Last couple of seasons? win or lose its yaaaaaawwwwwnnnnnn of a night. I attend with one thing in mind, watch Beauilue, Tinordi, DelRose to see how they are progressing

But how were Habs back in 2001-2006? Were the Dogs part of a progressive/improving franchise under good management?

Gainey started making the Dogs more than an after thought. He was one of the first to realize that clubs would be inclined to have more youth to make the dollars work.

But how were Habs back in 2001-2006? Were the Dogs part of a progressive/improving franchise under good management?

Good point. They sucked. For many reasons.

However why stop at 06 . How about 07,08,09 010,011.........Dogs were great to watch. Entertaining as i said in a win or a loss.

Yes Gainey did a great job there. Still think Gaineys contributions to this club get smeared beacause of the Gomez deal. (which was horrendous i know) But it was his regime that gave the team Price, Pacs, Subban. Three best young players on the team by a country mile. They are right at the core of the Montreal Canadiens. All great Bulldogs too.

Off topic, other great Bulldogs of the past. Halak, DD, Ryder, Gallagher, Lapierre, Hainsey

Some Dogs who were great in the A but did not fair too well in the NHL. Corey Locke, Ward, Hossa, Dagastini, Henry, Chipchura, White

I have a question that nobody is going to like. It is my specialty.

If the Bulldogs are supposed to be following the "system" that Le Genius uses so that when players come up they fit in better, how come they are so bad? they are currently out of the playoffs, basically a .500 team.

Is the system flawed? Is it too complicated for the young guys? Is Lefebvre a terrible coach? (see Brian)? Just wondering guys.

If the Bulldogs are supposed to be following the "system" that Le Genius uses so that when players come up they fit in better, how come they are so bad? they are currently out of the playoffs, basically a .500 team.

Is the system flawed? Is it too complicated for the young guys? Is Lefebvre a terrible coach? (see Brian)? Just wondering guys.

I am more concerned with the kool-aid that things are going good in Hamilton!

Generally speaking, an AHL team should have more difficulties adapting to an NHL system than an NHL team would due to the significant difference in talent level. By running the same system, it in theory makes it easier to call-ups to fit in with the big club. Unfortunately, if the personnel isn't well-suited to play such a system/style, it's not likely to work well. This is what's happening in Hamilton and that is why I suspect Lefebvre, despite his terrible job in terms of record and decision making, is still there.

The Bulldogs are around where I had them pegged at the beginning of the year. After adding Bowman/Tangradi, I upgraded them to a team that should be in the 7-10 range instead of another surefire playoff miss. Don't attribute that to playing the system though, thank Mike Condon who has put up better numbers than Tokarski did down there last season.

You have to think that having less career AHL players is contributing to the team's lack of success as well. Sometimes a good AHL team may not directly translate to a healthy farm system. Unless all of that strength is coming from prospects. Quite often, these AHL teams are being led by people who will never be good enough in the nhl. Locke type players.

Good points indeed. However I am of the mind the habs play by the seat of their pants, rather than a hard wired system that they play within. The other team sets the table then the hab players dig in.

Sucking in the first period points to it. The other team sets the tone , then the habs players react to that. Usually get motivated from being down 1-0 2-0. Then they start going. Urgency dictates. The core players are very good at it fortunately.

When pk plays the way he has been asked to his is ok. When they are down in the second half of the game and he cuts himself loose, he is dynamite. Why are we so much better in the third? MT shrinks the bench, pk and markov play the bulk, top six forwards play the bulk. Basic systems are always there but the habs dont exactly break out of their own zone with consistency and puck support, they dont gain the zone as a unit very often, They do not control the center of the ice, so rarely ever take it away (red wing style) The pp is one of the weakest in the league. The weakest of "play off positioned teams" Price soaked in sweat ten minutes in.

How exactly does Lefevbre take his twenty guys and try to mimick this "way to play" ??

Also the dogs TRY to play with a physicality that the big club has all but abandoned. I watch both teams and don't see the similarities in the two clubs play, that mgt recently eluded to. Not saying this should or should not be in sinc, (you play the hand your delt most times) Just mentioning it because i was surprised when i heard it implied that the two teams are playing the same system.

Good point by BK "I am more concerned with the kool aid that things are going good in Hamilton!"

Bergevin, LaPointe, LaCarriere and Lefebvre all have been open about Dog system staying in tune with Habs and that is simply common for farmteams.

Can you imagine Therrien playing his top players more in the 3rd period...isn't he a dummy for doing that (sarcasm font). That might lead to more goals being scored and keeping 4th line/3rd d-pairing on bench bit more.

But I guess if works in the 3rd...he should play them 35minutes/game and double shift them from drop of puck?

Bergevin, LaPointe, LaCarriere and Lefebvre all have been open about Dog system staying in tune with Habs and that is simply common for farmteams.

Can you imagine Therrien playing his top players more in the 3rd period...dumbass. That might lead to more goals being scored and keeping 4th line/3rd d-pairing on bench bit more.

But I guess if works in the 3rd...he should play them 35minutes/game and double shift them from drop of puck?

The dumbass thing is not needed Don. However I will say that in my experience if a team comes out prepared to play, and rolls 4 lines, they should not have to exhaust their top players in the 3rd to make up for the lethargy in the 1st and 2nd. It really is perplexing that this team does it so consistently. I think CC may be right that there is an attitude from some players, they don't have to work so hard early cause they got Price. Generally speaking, most teams who show these tendencies have serious leadership problems, which the Habs do not appear to have. So the whole thing simply doesn't make sense. Is PK, a guy who is a game changer, being held back until the game is going so bad you have to turn him loose to win? That wouldn't make sense either but how do you explain it? He tends now to be very cautious first 25 minutes of the game and balls to wall in the 3rd. Actually that is the whole team. Anyways whatever the magic strategy is I guess we keep doing it until we have to change it or not. :habslogo:

Sorry, I meant Therrien as the "Dumbass", but see how it may be seen as insult.

Don't you think 100% of coaches shorten bench in 3rd and avoid tossing out rookies or bottom forwards, if winning easily is easy to roll 4 lines and I think he does that, dosent he?

Sorry, I meant Therrien as the "Dumbass", but see how it may be seen as insult.

Don't you think 100% of coaches shorten bench in 3rd and avoid tossing out rookies or bottom forwards, if winning easily is easy to roll 4 lines and I think he does that, dosent he?

Yeah I agree, sorry I misheard you, but the team comes out so flat that by the time the 3rd rolls around you got no choice but to play your top stars to near death. All I am saying is that if the team came out prepared to play, we might not have to overuse players in the 3rd cause we would be up by 2 or 3 goals. This team is deadly when they score first. Lets do that more often. :habslogo:

Some stuff is just inexplicable? Same as 1st home game after long road trip, everyone knows to worry about a flat performance and still it happens more often than not Then a team can often do great in 1st period, but tend to choke more often with a 2 goal lead, why cant fire on all cylinders? Who the heck knows.

Bergevin's reupping all the coaches, I hope means he really does have confidence in what they are trying to do. communication with players etc. .

Some stuff is just inexplicable? Same as 1st home game after long road trip, everyone knows to worry about a flat performance and still it happens more often than not Then a team can often do great in 1st period, but tend to choke more often with a 2 goal lead, why cant fire on all cylinders? Who the heck knows.

Bergevin's reupping all the coaches, I hope means he really does have confidence in what they are trying to do. communication with players etc. .

Moi aussi.

Can you imagine Therrien playing his top players more in the 3rd period...dumbass. That might lead to more goals being scored and keeping 4th line/3rd d-pairing on bench bit more.

Did not say anything was wrong with that. Matter of fact the team is so top heavy MT almost has to shrink the bench the way he does. When the habs get a true number one center, and some help on the wing, along with more reliable third pair (all of which you know MB wants to do) well then they likely wont be getting out shot 26-4 by teams like Preds by the half way mark. Also they simply are not ready to play a game untill they are well into it.

So I was just saying why the team is FAR better in the third than in the first period. Adding that while Dogs may try to mimic the "system" its diificult to recognize it when watching the Hamilton play. How many bulldogs games have you watched Don?

btw whats with the "dumbass" you still in high school? :rastapop: