Feb 21st, 2013 - Islanders vs Habs

dlbalr

Some thoughts on the game:

-Where is Markov? The powerplay is dead.

-Too much Diaz. "Kostka treatment." A solid d-man, but only Subban or Gorges should play those minutes.

-Subban and Gorges? Why isn' this the second pairing? I know every coach wants to put his brand on a team, but the bottom pairing should be Bouillon and Diaz.

-PK needs to be on the first PP and the first PK

-The Islander's announcers are some of the worst i've ever heard. This is understandable, but the Devils and the Isles get the leftovers from the Ranger's prospects. Some gaffes- "Alex Lemelin" "Corey Price" "Gal-yen-chuk."

-They can't win them all, i'm happy to get the point, all these loser points add up. This is a good team, once we can get a solid winger to replace Gio or Cole, and Tinordi and Galchenyuk mature, we should be in contention.

Diaz getting the Kostka treatment???

Diaz leads out defense in points and plus minus. He has been our steadiest D to date.

Gorges has been so so and Markov has gone from great to awful. If anything, Markov needs less time as he clearly doesnt have the speed he use to. He has been terrible 5-5 and his PP hasn't been great lately either. To be fair, most of our PP woes stem from the inability to get setup, but Markov isn't helping lately. I would up PKs time at the expense of Markov and hope it helps Markov save some energy.

Diaz leads out defense in points and plus minus. He has been our steadiest D to date.

Gorges has been so so and Markov has gone from great to awful. If anything, Markov needs less time as he clearly doesnt have the speed he use to. He has been terrible 5-5 and his PP hasn't been great lately either. To be fair, most of our PP woes stem from the inability to get setup, but Markov isn't helping lately. I would up PKs time at the expense of Markov and hope it helps Markov save some energy.

Arrghh...maybe i'm stubborn, but I still don't believe in Diaz. Maybe the treatment should be called the "Komi/Souray/Streit" treatment, where anyone who plays with Markov looks like a stud. His points total was inflated by Markov's hot start, and most of his assists are secondaries. He's just not my kind of defenseman. I'm not saying he's bad, but he's a great number 4. Seeing him get minutes like this, for me, is the same as Moen playing in the top 6, or Darche on the powerplay. He's soft.

I've stated that Subban would become our #1 dman by game 10. How many did he play so far ?

+1 on everything except that I believe in him. He's a great #4 that will play some games as a #3 and can step up as #2 if needed in case of an injury.

Yesterday, Diaz played 22:33 and Subban 21:10. Time to switch these numbers (at least).

Arrghh...maybe i'm stubborn, but I still don't believe in Diaz. Maybe the treatment should be called the "Komi/Souray/Streit" treatment, where anyone who plays with Markov looks like a stud. His points total was inflated by Markov's hot start, and most of his assists are secondaries. He's just not my kind of defenseman. I'm not saying he's bad, but he's a great number 4. Seeing him get minutes like this, for me, is the same as Moen playing in the top 6, or Darche on the powerplay. He's soft.

It should be noted that Diaz's average TOI per game is 20:29 and Subban's is 19:49. That's a 40 second difference or the equivalent of one shift per game. That's hardly worth even noting.

should be at least the opposite...

Sure. That's 1 shift more for Subban, 1 less for Diaz. That's not going to radically change anything.

(key words were "at least")

I'd like to see Subban notch 24:00 on a regular basis.

(key words were "at least")

I know. I've noted that a lot of fans are saying their roles (and thus ice time) should be reversed when in reality, it's a 1 shift per game difference which is hardly relevant in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't mind Subban playing a bit more but I like the largely balanced attack from the D (even Markov has lost time lately). I think that will come in handy down the stretch as more teams really get into the compressed schedule.

I know. I've noted that a lot of fans are saying their roles (and thus ice time) should be reversed when in reality, it's a 1 shift per game difference which is hardly relevant in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't mind Subban playing a bit more but I like the largely balanced attack from the D (even Markov has lost time lately). I think that will come in handy down the stretch as more teams really get into the compressed schedule.

Took a look at Boston's schedule yesterday for March. holy shit !!!!

Yep, it's tough and I'm sure they're not the only one. Heck, the Habs have a rough one with a lot of road games. Balance certainly isn't a bad thing (as long as it's within reason of course, I'm certainly not advocating an even distribution of minutes across the board), players are really going start to wear down next month.

I would not say Markov has been awful, but I would like to see Subban with a few more minutes--not in place of Diaz, but rather taking some of Markov's load. It is a lot to ask of a player coming back after 2 yrs of injury to play so many minutes. Also, they need to work Kaberle and Weber into the lineup--don't ask me where or how, that's why MT gets the big bucks-- as the next few weeks are going to be grueling.

Tough schedule based on number of gamws, although they are playing a lot of struggling teams.

Tough schedule based on number of gamws, although they are playing a lot of struggling teams.

This is when mini-injuries start to happen and hurt a team. When 4-5 players play at 80%.