Apr. 30, NHL Draft Lottery, 7 PM

dlbalr

Bummer. The real losers were the Canucks and Flames, though; at least the Habs and Leafs ended up where they 'deserved' to be according to the old-fashioned logic of the standings.

Now we're reduced to hoping that Auston Matthews ends up closer to the Nail Yakupov end of the spectrum.

The whole show was absurd, but I'm betting that with fewer Canadian teams involved in future years, fewer of us will be reduced to watching this nonsense.

9th overall isn't too bad, especially when you consider they had a better shot at moving down a spot than jumping up.

True. For the first few picks I was practically bent over in prayer that the Habs NOT move down. Imagine being a Canucks or Flames fan. Bleech

Bummer. The real losers were the Canucks and Flames, though; at least the Habs and Leafs ended up where they 'deserved' to be according to the old-fashioned logic of the standings.

Now we're reduced to hoping that Auston Matthews ends up closer to the Nail Yakupov end of the spectrum.

The whole show was absurd, but I'm betting that with fewer Canadian teams involved in future years, fewer of us will be reduced to watching this nonsense.

Yeah how to stretch 5 minutes into an hour. Repeat yourself a lot and have a lot of guys all say the thing over and over. Oh and show a bunch of old replays.

Woulda been nice for the hockey gods to smile upon Les Habitants for the effort put forth down the stretch. There was never a sense of a tank job, and the organization deserved to be rewarded.

Maybe all the gods dissappeard with the old forum ?

True. For the first few picks I was practically bent over in prayer that the Habs NOT move down. Imagine being a Canucks or Flames fan. Bleech

As soon as Colorado was shown at 10, I was happy regardless of what happened for the Habs after that. (I'm not thrilled that the Leafs won but the Habs should still get a solid player at 9. This pick can't be any worse than their other 9th overall pick many years ago.)

Yeah how to stretch 5 minutes into an hour. Repeat yourself a lot and have a lot of guys all say the thing over and over. Oh and show a bunch of old replays.

Usually this doesn't drag out for an hour. Most years it's done in a half hour of coverage. The pre-interviews take up the first half, then the lottery, then the winning team and projected #1 pick. Sportsnet really sucked the life out of this being disingenuous about the start time by advertising it an hour plus early.

I recorded this damn thing cause I was out of the house. I avoided looking at my phone or anything that would spoil the results for me. Get home and watch the hour long crap fest, only for it to end after an hour and I didn't get to see the results cause it ran longer than intended.

Actually, reading Brian's excellent article on the front page, we really shouldn't be too down in the mouth about the 9th pick. Logan Couture? Mikhail Granlund? Jacob Trouba? Dougie Hamilton? Bo Horvat? I could do just fine with any one of those guys on the roster. Precedent says we come out of this doing more than OK.

One thing i do like

Edmonton - desperately needs dmen

Vancouver - have more prospect forwards than D

Calgary - have more prospect forwards than D (But are set at D at the NHL level)
Arizona - have more prospect forwards than D
Buffalo - desperately needs dmen

Not all 5 teams will draft for need, but if one or two of them do, the forward slides to us.

Craig Button has the Habs taking him with his first post-lottery mock draft: http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-mock-draft-post-lottery-edition-1.481511

(He also has Logan Brown 5th which seems really, really odd.)

I think Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkachuck, is close to a lock. Thinking Dubois Nylander will be gone before pick number 8. That basically leaves us with one of Juolevi, Sergachev, Chychrun (Seems like the debate to the best D man is pretty big) or a forward like Jost, Brown, or Keller.

Brown's 6'6 frame makes him interesting of course, but how does he translate to the nhl? I wouldn't mind a Bjugstad.

Still, the best comparsion I can think of to Jost is Kyle Turris. BOth got drafted out of the BCHL. Turris put up 2.28 ppg, Jost produced at 2.17.

I'd be happy if they turned out like those guys.

Guest Stogey24

One thing i do like

Edmonton - desperately needs dmen

Vancouver - have more prospect forwards than D

Calgary - have more prospect forwards than D (But are set at D at the NHL level)

Arizona - have more prospect forwards than D

Buffalo - desperately needs dmen

Not all 5 teams will draft for need, but if one or two of them do, the forward slides to us.

Ya, that's a good point for sure.

The 14 teams actually flew people in to Toronto to sit in studio on bar stools and look absolutely, ridiculously uncomfortable. Bergevin himself was seen fidgeting numerous times. Then Darren Millard kept throwing out stupid commentary between Daly's presentation of the draft spots, and then the 3 remaining GM's lineup next to each like a firing squad and wait to hopefully hear they scored the ultimate reward for having a shit hockey team.... This show was embarrassing and proved just how lame Sportsnet really is.